[comp.sys.mac] FLAME Concerning Apple's pricing of A/UX 2.0.

time@ox.com (Tim Endres) (06/02/90)

FLAME ON

Apple, once again, has a marketing department with its head up
its collective asshole! Their recent pricing of A/UX 2.0 is an
obvious gouge, attempting to recoup development efforts.

We have been developing for two years now, a full communications
system which will revolutionize the typesetting industry. We have
a system by which people click a mouse button, and their entire
typesetting job, full specification and shipping instructions
included, is piped via high speed modems to the typesetter. There,
it is automatically spooled and typeset, and then shipped with an
invoice and shipper that are printed automatically.

The heart of the system is a UNIX based CPU which receives the
incoming data, and spools to the printers, and performs administrative
funcitons. We have, for obvious reasons, been focusing our development
on A/UX, and until recently thought this is the system we would ship.

We spent months getting the pricing of our product to be competitive.
We are competing with products based on 386 technology.
Our pricing was based on being able to bundle A/UX for under $250.
Now we find out that A/UX 2.0 is $800 minimum, and Apple has no
alternative.
No "binary only" pricing.
No "limited user" pricing.
No "quantity" pricing.
No "VAR" arrangement pricing.
NOTHING!!!

We are now priced uncompetitively. We were paying a premium for
requiring Apple Hardware (ever price a MacIIx against a 386?).
We are now redisinging the system to run on Sun's Sparc SLC!
Gees, you mean I can pay $6000 for a 2MIPS box running an
out of date SystemV, or pay $5000 for a 12MIPS box running
BSD 4.3? And get real support?!

If Apple does not get this one figured out, they can forget
ever making A/UX a viable platform, since no developer in
their right mind will want to add $800 to their product in
exchange for basically being able to run the Finder!

I am afraid that John Gilmore's observations of a year ago
continue to bare true within Apple's A/UX market thinking.

Developers! BEWARE OF A/UX 2.0!
Apple can not support it, they can not price it, they will not
sell it! And your product will sink along with its sales!

FLAME OFF

Tim Endres.
Number One Graphics
East Lansing, MI.

name@portiaStanford.EDU (tony cooper) (06/02/90)

In article <1990Jun1.185845.24189@ox.com>, time@ox.com (Tim Endres) writes:

> Apple, ...
>                     ... Their recent pricing of A/UX 2.0 is an
> obvious gouge, attempting to recoup development efforts.

Apple has made mistakes before, concerning overpricing. Slumps in sales have
been attributed to overpricing a few times in the past. And industry "experts"
have said that the lack of a low cost Mac has been costly for Apple.

Reducing the price of A/UX will increase sales of it. And probably sales of
peripherals, particulary hard drives and CDROMs will increase. There are
far more Macs out there than UNIX machines. So Apple has a chance of making
A/UX the most popular UNIX around. I think it is a fair price, perhaps, for
a UNIX person who wants a UNIX system. But why not sell it for far less to
entice MacOS users to have a look at it. I realize that Apple has to pay
royalties on it. But since they do not make a direct profit from selling
MacOS, why is there a need to make a direct profit from A/UX?

Eventually MacOS and A/UX will converge to a single system. Can't have two
different prices for the one system right?

Tony Cooper

mahesh@news.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (06/03/90)

From article <1990Jun1.185845.24189@ox.com>, by time@ox.com (Tim Endres):

> Developers! BEWARE OF A/UX 2.0!
> Apple can not support it, they can not price it, they will not
> sell it! And your product will sink along with its sales!

I have got to agree with the above.  It is almost scary to see what Apple
gets away with when it comes to foisting things off on its *devoted* fans.
Overpriced hardware, ridiculously antiquated system software, and on those
occasions when it actually has a chance to do something right, the price
goes right off into the distant horizon (the portable and A/UX come to
mind instanter).  With A/UX, they have *such* a great oppurtunity to
get things done properly, but will they do it? Nooooo...

	Just goes to show, when push comes to shove, I doubt that UNIX
really carries a lot of weight in Applesville.  "Just wait for 7.0" the
voices cry.  "It'll blow the doors off such imbecilic OSs as UNIX" cry
the same knowing voices.  Methinks that when it comes to UNIX, somebody
up there is saying "If they want it, let them have it, but make 'em
pay for it.  Besides, when 7.0 comes out, no one will give UNIX a
second look".  Me also thinks that Sculley, and the rest of the decision
makers at Apple need to be severly lobotomized.  On second thoughts,
belay that, 'twould be just a waste of time.

Oh Apple, my Apple of yore, whom I worshipped as the saviour of the
personal computers, whither didst thou go.  Ever since those dweebs in
the three-piece suits took over, Apple hasbeen going right down the
proverbial tubes.  So they make profits.  B.F.D.  Oh.  I forgot.  After
all, Apple's main aim IS to make a profit right?  So who cares what the
customer wants.  They can only buy Macs from Apple right?  So whatever
Apple makes, thhey will buy right?  So it really doesn't matter what
Apple charges for stuff, 'cos people will buy it right??
	(Oh my lord, I sound exactly like I used to sound when I
	talked about IBm four years ago.  Time to stop)

Just to round off the flame, if I see that ^%$*&% Knowledge Navigator
again in an Apple presentation, I don't know what I will do.

Boy.  Does that feel good.  Its been simmering in me for a looooong time

Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu
Senior Analyst
Office of University Computing        NeXT:     mahesh@numenor.cc.nd.edu
University of Notre Dame              Voice:    (219) 239-5600  x6421
Notre Dame,  IN  46556

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun1.185845.24189@ox.com>, time@ox.com (Tim Endres) writes:
> Apple, once again, has a marketing department with its head up
> its collective asshole! Their recent pricing of A/UX 2.0 is an
> obvious gouge, attempting to recoup development efforts.

So what would you suggest?  Raising the price of everything else in order
to subsidize A/UX users?  A LOT of time and money has gone into A/UX.  Apple
has to pay for it somehow... Development time doesn't grow on trees.

You didn't have to pick A/UX for a platform.  If a cheapo 386 UNIX port
is what you want to pay for, that's what you should be using.  If you are
adding capabilities and value to your product by putting in on A/UX, then
what's the problem with paying more for it?

TANSTAAFL, dude :-).

Lastly, if your product is really so revolutionary, talk to Apple.  They
are desperate for unique, sexy A/UX products... Apply some market pressure...

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
--

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (06/04/90)

>You didn't have to pick A/UX for a platform.  If a cheapo 386 UNIX port
>is what you want to pay for, that's what you should be using.  If you are
>adding capabilities and value to your product by putting in on A/UX, then
>what's the problem with paying more for it?

I don't quite understand just what "cheapo 386 UNIX port" is being
referred to.  To get what you get with A/UX 2.0, you'd end up paying at
least $1K-$1.5K street price for ISC's 386/ix or SCO's XENIX or UNIX.
Even ESIX, with the same services, is about $800, the same amount which
is being kvetched about.

The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
the market on platforms in the same ballpark.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun2.003545.12613@portia.Stanford.EDU> name@portiaStanford.EDU (tony cooper) writes:

>Eventually MacOS and A/UX will converge to a single system. Can't have two
>different prices for the one system right?
>
>Tony Cooper

A/UX won't be for everybody.  Those who just need a PC class machine will
not need UNIX.  I can't imagine UNIX being used at home for the average
user.

As far as Apple's pricing.. AT&T SysV ver. 4.0 with Open Look is $4995!!
I don't think A/UX at $800 is too rediculous.

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (06/05/90)

)
)I don't quite understand just what "cheapo 386 UNIX port" is being
)referred to.  To get what you get with A/UX 2.0, you'd end up paying at
)least $1K-$1.5K street price for ISC's 386/ix or SCO's XENIX or UNIX.
)Even ESIX, with the same services, is about $800, the same amount which
)is being kvetched about.
)
)The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
)the market on platforms in the same ballpark.
)
)--
)Steve Dyer
)dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
)dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

ESIX.. did someone say ESIX??  It does not matter what you pay for ESIX
because you cant even get close to AUX with it.  ESIX running on a 20 mhz
386 (not sx) and 4 megs of ram is worthless.  I never knew just how good
AUX was until I used ESIX.  I hope it is not typical of 386 based UNIX.

BTW, I run AUX on an 020 macII and as MC Hammer says, "Cant touch this"

--
What do these names have in common?
Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, Larson Petty

brian@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (06/05/90)

In article <2669D0E0.340B@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <1990Jun1.185845.24189@ox.com>, time@ox.com (Tim Endres) writes:
>> Apple, once again, has a marketing department with its head up
>> its collective asshole! Their recent pricing of A/UX 2.0 is an
>> obvious gouge, attempting to recoup development efforts.
>
>So what would you suggest?  Raising the price of everything else in order
>to subsidize A/UX users?  A LOT of time and money has gone into A/UX.  Apple
>has to pay for it somehow... Development time doesn't grow on trees.

Actually, I must disagree.  Product pricing is a *marketing* decision. *Not*
a cost accounting problem.  Apple could more than repay the porting costs
for A/UX by unbundling the product. I happen to agree with the original poster
that few people are going to find it cost effective to build UNIX based
products for the Mac.

Admittedly, A/UX is probably the best UNIX I have used. The finder works
quite well, and you can actually do Mac development.  If your Mac program
bombs into MacsBug, UNIX is still running, you've only crashed the finder
process. Obviously this is the way it should be, but Apple could have
botched it.

Also, the networking support appears to be real good.  Their implimentation
of SLIP is fairly complete.

>Lastly, if your product is really so revolutionary, talk to Apple.  They
>are desperate for unique, sexy A/UX products... Apply some market pressure...

GOOD LUCK!  I have been beating on several evangelists for some info for
a product that they claim to be excited about for more than six months.  No info
yet.  But, I just read that a competitor already has it.  Figures...

-Brian

brian@beerwolf.umd.edu

brian@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (06/05/90)

In article <3089@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>You didn't have to pick A/UX for a platform.  If a cheapo 386 UNIX port
>>is what you want to pay for, that's what you should be using.  If you are
>>adding capabilities and value to your product by putting in on A/UX, then
>>what's the problem with paying more for it?
>
>I don't quite understand just what "cheapo 386 UNIX port" is being
>referred to.  To get what you get with A/UX 2.0, you'd end up paying at
>least $1K-$1.5K street price for ISC's 386/ix or SCO's XENIX or UNIX.
>Even ESIX, with the same services, is about $800, the same amount which
>is being kvetched about.
>
>The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
>the market on platforms in the same ballpark.

Except, that if I'm trying to write a turn key application I can't buy
A/UX runtime only systems.  I don't necessarilly want to ship a compiler
with every system.  Or, networking for that matter (although I probably
would want that).

I don't really have a gripe about the price.  Just the fact that it's
unbundled.

-brian

brian@beerwolf.umd.edu

In article <3389@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> brian@umbc3.umbc.edu.UMBC.EDU (Brian Cuthie) writes:
>In article <3089@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

	<< All kinds of stuff deleted from my original posting >>

>>The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
>>the market on platforms in the same ballpark.
>>

>Except, that if I'm trying to write a turn key application I can't buy
>A/UX runtime only systems.  I don't necessarilly want to ship a compiler
>with every system.  Or, networking for that matter (although I probably
>would want that).
>
>I don't really have a gripe about the price.  Just the fact that it's
>unbundled.
^^
  Better insert the word 'not' up here. Otherwise, at least a 100 people
will flame me for not saying the right thing.

we now resume our regularly scheduled net trash.

thank you.

>-brian
>
>brian@beerwolf.umd.edu

me again.

sobiloff@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (06/06/90)

Well, $800 is a little steep, but the educational discount is around $400, or
so I've heard...
						-CCb

"I drive fast. I drive safely. The two are *not* mutually exclusive, contrary
	to popular delusion." -CCb
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years
	of maturity." -Albert Einstein