[comp.sys.mac] Path coverage analyzer needed for Mac

davel@pixar.UUCP (David Longerbeam) (06/06/90)

Hello all,

I am asking if anyone can help me in my search for a path coverage
analyzer (profiler) for the Mac.  This utility is used to determine
the percentage of source code statements exercised by a test suite.

I'd appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance!

Please respond by email to (UUCP):

	ucbvax!pixar!davel
	- or -
	sun!pixar!davel

Regards,
Dave Longerbeam
Pixar
San Rafael, California

--
David Longerbeam			||  Any opinions expressed are
Pixar					||  those of the author and not

rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) (06/06/90)

If you find a good coverage tool please let us all know!! I've checked out
a few and so far they all are pretty poor.  They require extensive
modifications to be made to your source.  Some only work for Pascal and
not for C or C++.

Why can't someone (Jasik?) create a tool that uses the .SYM and .MAP files
to monitor the program at interrupt or instruction trace level? It sounds
so easy...

Rick

--
* Rick Boarman   *   UUCP:      {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!rick
* Claris Corp.   *   Internet:  rick@claris.com

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/06/90)

In article <11055@claris.com> rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) writes:

>If you find a good coverage tool please let us all know!! I've checked out
>a few and so far they all are pretty poor.  They require extensive
>modifications to be made to your source.  Some only work for Pascal and
>not for C or C++.
>
>Why can't someone (Jasik?) create a tool that uses the .SYM and .MAP files
>to monitor the program at interrupt or instruction trace level? It sounds
>so easy...

	It sounds easy, but it is in fact highly nontrivial.

	Both THINK Pascal and THINK C come with code profilers; THINK C's
can profile at the function level, and THINK Pascal's can profile at the
statement level. Neither requires any modification of the source, except
for calls to initialize and terminate profiling and to dump the results.

R.
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."