[comp.sys.mac] Tempo "Upgrade" - Affinity Does It Again

jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jonathan Mills) (06/05/90)

The June 1990 MacWorld contained a note in the MacBulletin (page 17)
titled "Time for Tempo."  This note announced that Affinity is designing
some extensions to Tempo II, which it calls Tempo+Tools.  What are they?

Apparently a set of menu enhancements, a set of external branch conditions,
and a new macro viewer.  Quote, "(an editor will be released eventually)."
Cost of this upgrade: $29.95.  Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but...

FLAME ON:

I bought Tempo 1.2 in mid-87 and upgraded to something called Tempo II v0.9
"The Prequel."  Cost: $55 for Tempo 1.2, $39 for "The Prequel."  In
the box shipped with "The Prequel" was a registration card.  On that card
was a list of benefits of registration:

	"Free Tempo II MacroPak.  A complete and powerful graphics-based
	 editor for Tempo II macros, plus a localizer for adapting Tempo
	 II to non-US systems, and a Tempo II menu and FKEY customizer,
         and more.

	"Updates to Tempo II.  As new features are added and capabilities
	 enhanced, you will receive free updates and notifications."

End quote.  Remember, this was in 1988.

Later in 1988 I got a letter from Richard Barron, President of Affinity,
with my release of Tempo II v1.0.  At the bottom of the letter:

	"P.S.  Completion of our Tempo II MacroPak was delayed pending
	 release of this product, so as soon as it's available, we will
	 send it to you."

Even later in November of 1988 an upgrade was sent to me (free of charge),
but it was the wrong version.  After a quick call, the correct version
was sent by Heather Ellsworth in Customer Support.  At that time I was
assured that the MacroPak & editor would be sent free of charge.

In 1989 (can't give the exact date because Affinity often does not date
their letters to their customers), an extended support card came in.
This "product" was a chance to buy unspecified "maintenance upgrades"
to Tempo, as well as 90 more days of support during a twelve month
period.  Cost: $49.00.  I called and asked about the MacroPak...

and here things got fuzzy.  Yes it was promised.  Yes, it would probably
ship soon.  No, it wasn't part of the "maintenance upgrades."  This from
Rick Barrett at Affinity.  I sent in a check & the card, but the check
was never cashed (might have been lost), and I haven't heard from Affinity
since then.

Tempo II started the long slide down the discount path, getting cheaper &
cheaper, even being given away with keyboards.  It looked like a dying product.

But wait! No!  In the June MacWorld we are told that *part* of the one-time
free MacroPak is available now for $29.95!  And the editor will "eventually"
be released.

This is what prompted the flame.  For over two years Affinity has promised
the originally free MacroPak, and used it as an inducement to its Tempo II
users to stick with the product.  Yes, it does cost money to write software,
and yes I have received Tempo v1.0 and v1.0.15 free...

but I still have Affinity's *written* obligation to provide the MacroPak.

So what about it, Affinity?  Have you reneged on the agreement?  Sure
looks like it to me.  Tempo II promised so much, but it has delivered
haltingly, and now, it appears, will only deliver the MacroPak a piece
at a time, charging each time.

Will I pay?  No.  AutoMac III is free with MicroSoft Word, works reasonably
well, has an excellent editor, and is robust.  Tempo's complexity made it
pretty temperamental, and without a solid editor to tune mouse moves, etc.
it was annoying to use.  Affinity's philosophy was, "just record it again."

So good luck Affinity.  There's a sucker born every minute, and you'll need
every one of them.  To the suckers, remember, System 7.0 is coming!

FLAME OFF.

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (06/07/90)

In article <46713@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jonathan Mills) writes:
>The June 1990 MacWorld contained a note in the MacBulletin (page 17)
>titled "Time for Tempo."  This note announced that Affinity is designing
>some extensions to Tempo II, which it calls Tempo+Tools.  What are they?
>
>Apparently a set of menu enhancements, a set of external branch conditions,
>and a new macro viewer.  Quote, "(an editor will be released eventually)."
>Cost of this upgrade: $29.95.  Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but...
>
>[...]
>was a list of benefits of registration:
>
>	"Free Tempo II MacroPak.  A complete and powerful graphics-based
>	 editor for Tempo II macros, plus a localizer for adapting Tempo
>	 II to non-US systems, and a Tempo II menu and FKEY customizer,
>         and more.

I purchased Tempo II and was also promised a free MacroPak.  The last time
I called them, they still had no idea when it would be done.

>[...]
>Will I pay?  No.  AutoMac III is free with MicroSoft Word, works reasonably
>well, has an excellent editor, and is robust.  Tempo's complexity made it
>pretty temperamental, and without a solid editor to tune mouse moves, etc.
>it was annoying to use.  Affinity's philosophy was, "just record it again."
>[...]

Agreed.  Tempo's editor just plain sucks and is buggy.  The only thing I
have used Tempo II for was a mini-guided tour thing that took two whole
days to set up because of Tempo's lame editor.  I have found that I can do
anything else I need in QuicKeys or even MacroMaker.

Also, the last time I called them they were shipping Tempo II 1.2 (I think)
in stores for a couple months but they wouldn't give it to owners of Tempo
II 1.0.  At the time they were just planning a mailing to owners for
upgrades.  That was a couple months ago and I still haven't gotten anything.
I totally agree with the previous poster's flame.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616