[comp.sys.mac] pretty music

peters@udel.EDU (Shirley Peters) (06/13/90)

      I am interested in printing out music scores clearly, legibly, and
hopefully easily :-).  What hardware/software combinations would you
recommend in the Mac line of computers (cpu, printer, and software) which
would cost less than $5000?

Thanx

Shirley Peters                                             peters@udel.edu
                           I'd rather be sleeping!

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) (06/13/90)

peters@udel.EDU (Shirley Peters) writes:
>       I am interested in printing out music scores clearly, legibly, and
> hopefully easily :-).  What hardware/software combinations would you
> recommend in the Mac line of computers (cpu, printer, and software) which
> would cost less than $5000?

Well, post on a Mac news bboard and get a Mac answer!  The way to buy
a system is to find the software that does what you want and then get
the hardware that runs it (assuming you can still afford it ;-).

I have used both Finale and MusicProse from Coda.  Finale is
incredible, doing almost everything you could ever want in a music
transcription program, but you pay for it in ease of use.  MusicProse
is simply a scaled down Finale with most of the good features, but
none of the hassles.  It allows input from the keyboard, mouse, and a
MIDI keyboard.  It's output is clean, especially on a laser or
Deskwriter.  Unless you really need the control, MusicProse should do.

In terms of hardware (and of course we're talking Macintosh), get the
best (fastest) that you can afford.  I ran both programs on a Plus, but
it could get painful on some of the longer operations (moving sections of
a score).  Current education prices make both the SE and SE/30 VERY
reasonable.

Sample breakdown of prices:
Finale:	$550     or    MusicProse: $170
Mac Plus: $700   or    SE: $1000 (?)   or SE/30: $2000   or Mac II??:...
Hard Drive:  20Meg: $400   30M:$450   40M:$550   50M: $600 ...
MIDI+Keyboard: $200 - $900
Printer:  Image: $450   HP Deskwriter: $750   LaserWriter II: $5000 (or so)

So, assuming MusicProse, SE/30, 40Meg hard drive, a nice keyboard,
Deskwriter, and accessories, your looking at around $4200.  A cheap system
could be thrown together for $2000-$2200.  A "radical system" (Mac
IIci, large screen b/w monitor, 80Meg HD, 4 Meg RAM, Finale,
Deskwriter) could easily exhaust your $5000 budget...

Note that these prices are all educational or mail order.  Also,
PLEASE try out the software and hardware combination BEFORE your put
any money down.  Only you can decide if a piece of hard/software
fulfills your needs.

Hope this helps.
ross

Ross Comer                |   ARPA:   rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu
PO Box 262, CMU           |   Bitnet: rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, Pa.  15213    |   UUCP:   ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!rc3h