[comp.sys.mac] Implementing floating windows

etsai@hstbme.mit.edu (Eugene C Tsai) (06/08/90)

I am trying to write a program that uses floating windows like those
that can be found on the "MacPaint-like" demonstration program in
Think C. I have been racking my brains over the source code for that
program. Because I don't really have much experience with object
oriented programming, it doesn't make much sense to me. Does anyone
have sample code for implementing floating windows that uses non-object
oriented C with standard toolbox calls?
thanks
eugene tsai

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (06/09/90)

Eugene,

What you want to do is get the April/May 1988 issue of MacTutor
magazine (if you can't find the actual issue, you can buy Volume 4 of
the book that they sell which contains all the articles for a given
year)

I recently asked MACDTS pretty much the same question, and that was
their answer to me.  The article has a sample application and WDEF
(and an MDEF that lets you tear off menus a la HyperCard) and explains
in depth how to manage floating windows.

If you don't want to type in the code, you can either buy a source
disk or let me know - I typed in the WDEF, but not the sample code
since I'm using MacApp.

anders

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun8.213433.23258@verity.com> anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>Eugene,
>
>What you want to do is get the April/May 1988 issue of MacTutor
>magazine (if you can't find the actual issue, you can buy Volume 4 of
>the book that they sell which contains all the articles for a given
>year)
>
>I recently asked MACDTS pretty much the same question, and that was
>their answer to me.  The article has a sample application and WDEF
>(and an MDEF that lets you tear off menus a la HyperCard) and explains
>in depth how to manage floating windows.
>
>If you don't want to type in the code, you can either buy a source
>disk or let me know - I typed in the WDEF, but not the sample code
>since I'm using MacApp.

MACDTS has got another answer for you now, Anders. And since you use
MacApp, you're already ahead of the game. The next version of MacApp
will implement floating windows and tear-off menus. We're also trying
to make those routines a standalone package so that we can release them
for MacApp 2.0 users. I don't have dates for any of this, though.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun8.213433.23258@verity.com> anders@penguin (Anders ) writes:
>What you want to do is get the April/May 1988 issue of MacTutor
>magazine (if you can't find the actual issue, you can buy Volume 4 of

Or buy Think C and check out the Think Class Library which almost completely
implements it.   'Almost completely?' I hear you ask.

Has anyone solved the problem of unhiliting floating windows (and non-floating
windows behind them) when pulling up dialogs.  (Try Page Setup in Think's Art
Class application and check the scroll bars!!)  So far my only solution relies
on watching activate events closely and ensuring that they get faked for the
windows behind them which can get confusing when the system starts generating
de/activates of its own for your non-floaters..