[comp.sys.mac] Info request on UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SOURCES

slee@oregon.uoregon.edu (06/09/90)

I'm moving to a place that's pretty susceptible to summer thunder storms
and power outages.  What's your learned opinion of uninteruptible power
systems (UPS)?  They tend to be pretty pricey, Kensington for instance
sells them for $270-$950.  What's the difference between brands and
sizes on these things?  Any opinions, experiences, or references to
articles reviewing UPSs?  I just want it for a single computer, so it
seems likely that the smallest model would be appropriate. True?  How
about the cheapest?  Are they pretty much a generic good?
Scott

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (06/13/90)

In article <19664.2670c5cf@oregon.uoregon.edu> slee@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>I'm moving to a place that's pretty susceptible to summer thunder storms
>and power outages.  What's your learned opinion of uninteruptible power
>systems (UPS)?

I don't have one on my mac at this time, but have one on my AT&T 3B1 unix
box.  I definintely wouldn't run a unix machine without one (from experience).
I live out in the "middle of nowhere" and have lots of power problems.
Since I got my UPS I can keep my system up for months at a time without
problems.

They tend to be pretty pricey, Kensington for instance
>sells them for $270-$950.

I have a Tripp-Lite BC-325, which can handle 325 watts (should be enough
for most macs).  I paid $300 for it a year ago from Jameco, but if you
want the best deal, pick up a copy of Computer Shopper Magazine and look
through the ads - I've seen this model for ~$250 there.

>What's the difference between brands and
>sizes on these things?

I'd suggest doing what I did.  Fill out the "reader service card" from a
computer magazine (like Byte) for all the companies which advertise these
things.  I ended up with tons of brochures and specs.  I picked the Tripp-Lite
for the cost vs. features ratio. The main differences are in the
transfer time, the type of wave (square vs. synchronized steps) the
battery capacity (amp-hours) and the wattage rating.  Don't confuse the last
two - the wattage rating just determines how big an inverter the unit has
and how much load you can connect to it - it doesn't necessarily reflect on
how long it will operate your computer.  I doubt that transfer time will
be a problem with the typical mac power supply.

Actually the term "UPS" (uninterruptable power supply) is probably not
accurate.  Mine is technically called a BBS (battery backup system).  This
means that normally your computer is running of the AC line while the
battery is trickle-charged.  In the event of a power failure, power is
transferred to the battery/inverter in a couple milliseconds.  This is the
most common setup; there are also full-time UPS'es which always power the
computer off the battery/inverter.  This requires a much beefier setup and
is very expensive, but you don't have any transfer time problems and your
power is always filtered with the battery as a buffer.

>Any opinions, experiences, or references to
>articles reviewing UPSs?

Byte Magazine did a very good article on "PC Power Protection" about 2 years
ago - sorry I don't have it handy.

>I just want it for a single computer, so it
>seems likely that the smallest model would be appropriate. True?

Probably; depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you just want to
protect against quick brownouts, or want to have a few minutes to do a
shutdown during a blackout that should be fine.  Just to give you an idea,
my 3B1 is MC68010-based micro with 2 MB RAM, a 67MB miniscribe disk, fan,
monitor and external 2400 baud modem - should be similar to a Mac II in its
power requirements.  I was very surprised to get 3 hours of backup time
during a power outage recently.  For a $300 UPS, I'm quite pleased!
If you just have a Mac Plus or SE, a 200-watt model would probably be
sufficient and might save you $50 or $60, but I'd go for the 300 watt
unit anyway in case your needs change in the future....

>How
>about the cheapest?  Are they pretty much a generic good?

Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.  Do a little
research and take your best shot.  Good luck!