[comp.sys.mac] BINHEX

rebel@rpiacm.UUCP (03/12/87)

After converting files from mod.mac.binaries some of them end up with a .pit
extension, and some others turn out like documents.  Is there something
I could be doing wrong?  I'm using BinHex 5.0.

Please reply directly, as I'm going away for Spring Break and I'm going to
miss news for awhile.

Thanks

--
   Dave Brennan
                                            UUCP: ..seismo!rpics!rpiacm!rebel

sec@uhmanoa.UUCP (09/23/87)

could anyone send me formats of binhex, macpaint file, and pict

			thanks

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/01/87)

So BinHex may be dead outside of the unix and PC worlds as far as Mac users are concerned.  However, I would like to add hqx encoding/decoding capability to my prgm and have run into a wall trying to get info on this defunct outside of here utility.  If anyone has some info on algorithm(s) used or C examples, how about mailing them over?  I would sure appreciate it.

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

alex@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (11/03/87)

In article <1868@dasys1.UUCP> raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:
>Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
>Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
>New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
>GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617

Soory to be posting this to this group, but my mail keeps bouncing when I send
to this guy, and as I pay for it coming and going, I'm a bit fed up with the
second bounce in a row.

Anyway, could someone tell this person that his articles are consistently
unreadable for those of us who do not have auto-wrap screens. Actually, I've
just set my terminal to autowrap and its still unreadable. If I can't read
what he says, then its a waste of time for him to post. Are others bothered
by this - if so perhaps we should move this discussion elsewhere.

Thanks for your time (If I have made a gender mistake in the above please
                      excuse me).

--
Alex Heatley : CSC, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Domain: alex@comp.vuw.ac.nz                Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!alex

lih@cunixc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (11/06/87)

The reason why some people cannot read Ray Lau's messages is
because he uses the vi editor and lets the editor do the autowrap
for him.  I also have the problem of not being able to read his
messages using UNIX 'rn', but I can read them in EMACS.

Ray seems to be the only person who has this problem, so is there
a problem with the way his UNIX is handling sending the message or
is it that no one else here uses the vi editor?
It seems rather odd that he is the only one that has this problem...

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/12/87)

In article <228@cunixc.columbia.edu> lih@cunixc.columbia.edu
	   (Andrew Lih) writes:

>The reason why some people cannot read Ray Lau's messages is
>because he uses the vi editor and lets the editor do the autowrap
>for him.  I also have the problem of not being able to read his
>messages using UNIX 'rn', but I can read them in EMACS.

>Ray seems to be the only person who has this problem, so is there
>a problem with the way his UNIX is handling sending the message or
>is it that no one else here uses the vi editor?

I have been known to use vi as an editor (I work in 3 different UNIX
environments for a total of 4 versions of Emacs {Quintus and Lucid, I hate
you sometimes} ) and am using it now to prove the point.

Vi wraps fine, provided you tell it to do so.  (:set wm=5) tells it to break to
a new line when a word is started within 5 characters of the right margin.  You
do need to have set the right margin at something reasonable, like 72 or 79
(you figure it out ;-) ).  There are a few strange things that vi can do to/for
you, but it *can* be made to work acceptably.  It's not Emacs, or Laser Author
for that matter, but the problems apparent in Ray Lau's messages are more likely
to be the usage of one or more parts of his environment, than the parts
themselves.  It's a poor workman who blames his tools, and all that!

Robert_S

--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

mf@ircam.UUCP (mf) (04/20/88)

Can anyone send me the c source of binhex (4.0 or later) to use
on 4.2bsd Unix?  Thanks.

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (04/22/88)

Me Too!!!
--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department

yijie@ms.uky.edu (Yijie Han) (04/30/88)

Can anybody out there send me BinHex 4.0 source code (preferably in C)? Or
binary code encoded with UUENCODE. Thanx.

alexlau@thoth6.berkeley.edu (Actively Creates Leftovers) (05/12/88)

I also had some problems decoding BinHex 4.0 files, but of a
different skein.

For me, the problem lay in the decoding itself.  I used Stuffit
1.40A to decode files picked off of comp.binaries.mac, and it
beeped and said, "A disk-related error caused ... etc. [-39]"

Now, my question is, what is disk error "-39" and why did I get
it?  Was it because I edited my files too much, cutting out
everything but the weird-looking stuff?

Replies by e-mail, unless it is a common enough problem.

acl    {ihnp4,backbones}!ucbvax!bartleby.berkeley.edu!alexlau
"Police, schmolice.  What we need is a cop."

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (05/12/88)

In article <9882@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> alexlau@thoth6.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Actively Creates Leftovers) writes:
->I also had some problems decoding BinHex 4.0 files, but of a
->different skein.
->
->For me, the problem lay in the decoding itself.  I used Stuffit
->1.40A to decode files picked off of comp.binaries.mac, and it
->beeped and said, "A disk-related error caused ... etc. [-39]"
->
->Now, my question is, what is disk error "-39" and why did I get
->it?  Was it because I edited my files too much, cutting out
->everything but the weird-looking stuff?
->
->Replies by e-mail, unless it is a common enough problem.
->
->acl    {ihnp4,backbones}!ucbvax!bartleby.berkeley.edu!alexlau
->"Police, schmolice.  What we need is a cop."

Error -39 is an End of File error.

You will need to use BinHex whenever Stuffit refuses to decode a file.  As
I understand it, there are differences between the algorithm's used in the
two programs.

Stuffit will decode most files encoded by BinHex 4.0, and visa-versa; however
many files cannot be cross-decoded.  I don't know the specifics, but the
encoded files will look different if encoded by Stuffit rather than by
BinHex 4.0, which I believe is also different from BinHex 5.0.

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (05/22/88)

In article <832@koko.UUCP> mantis@koko.UUCP (Mike Elness) writes:
<Could some kind soul please mail me Binhex 4.0 so that I can use the binaries
<in comp.binaries.mac?  Thanks a zillion!

Me, too! All I have is BinHex 5.0, which nobody seems to use when posting
binaries... Source would be wonderful (if it exists in the public domain)...
Please, please, please!!! I've got some great stuff in my archives thatI
can't touch! ( :-( )
--

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/23/88)

>Me, too! All I have is BinHex 5.0, which nobody seems to use when posting
>binaries... Source would be wonderful (if it exists in the public domain)...
>Please, please, please!!! I've got some great stuff in my archives thatI
>can't touch! ( :-( )
    Binhex 5.0 will decode Binhex 1,2,3 & 4. Pretty good for 8K, but then again
 its written in assembly. Stuffit will do the app-> binhex step so all you need
to do is unbinhex stuffit, then all your problems will be solved.
Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (05/24/88)

OK, this is getting a little nutty when someone writes in that they have
BinHex 5.0 and an archive of stuff that they cannot decode...
Have I just been blessed with fantasy????
I was sure that BinHex 5.0 just added a text stripping capability
When I need to dehex somthing on a Mac I grab the closest version
(4 or 5) and go for it.....

Am I dreaming ?????

Ben
Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@sphinx.uchicago.bitnet
UUCP:    {ihnp4!gargoyle,oddjob}!sphinx!her3

keith@uw-apl.UUCP (Keith Kerr) (04/15/89)

I have some files that have been encoded with BinHex.  Can
someone tell me where I can get BinHex??  (Or mail it to me,
if you can in good conscience).

Please reply by E-mail

Thanks
:wq

pmy@vivaldi.acc.Virginia.EDU (Pete Yadlowsky) (05/04/89)

Hi,

The Land of MacIntosh is not my home, as I'm an Amigan. So, please
excuse my ignorance. I often have cause to use a MacII, and I recently
downloaded and un-binhex'd an application (at least I think it's supposed
to be an application). The problem is that the Finder refuses to
execute it, because it thinks it's a document (so says GetInfo).
I get the application-busy-or-missing message. How can I convince the
Finder that this thing is indeed an application? BTW, I'm using
BinHex5.

If you can straighten me out, please send e-mail. I don't normally
read this group. Thanks.

Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "Pay no attention to that man
Academic Computing Center	|	behind the curtain!"
University of Virginia		|
pmy@Virginia.EDU		|

jeff@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (jeffrey.m.drew) (06/01/89)

Could someone send me the source code to BinHex (4.0 version or
later)?  Or at least a fairly detailed description of the algorithm
used so that I can write my own.  I have an ascii graphics file
from a mac that needs to be processed with binhex.  I don't have
a mac so the object code for binhex wouldn't be useful.

Please respond directly to me if possible because I don't normally
read this newsgroup.

Thanks

--
Jeff Drew
AT&T Bell Laboratories

SML108@PSUVM.BITNET (07/18/89)

Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
already have a working Binhex to decode their files....

Thanks in Advance...

jerry@gistdev.UUCP (Jerry Keith Waltz, Esq.) (07/22/89)

roy@sts.sts.UUCP writes:

>/* Written 11:31 am  Jul 17, 1989 by sml108@psuvm.UUCP in sts:comp.sys.mac */
>/* ---------- "Binhex" ---------- */
>Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?

stuff deleted

Would some kind soul who perhaps has a copy of BINHex let me know
through mail if he/she is willing to make it available to me, or if it
is available through a mail server somewhere. (Note I assume that it
is Share/Free ware) Please mail a response and I will contact the
person nearest to spare the net the bandwidth. I do not have FTP
capabilities, sigh. Mail will have to serve. I have searched local BBS
and havent been able to locate this beast.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

pang@phri.UUCP (Long Pang) (07/23/89)

In article <89198.143149SML108@PSUVM>, SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
> I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
> already have a working Binhex to decode their files....

	I have a copy of Binhex 5.0 and a copy of StuffIt 1.5.1 which were
obtained from one of my friend. I guess it's OK to give you guys a copy.

	Send me e-mail if you are interested.

david@mmsac.UUCP (David L. Kensiski) (07/29/89)

In message <89198.143149SML108@PSUVM>, SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

> Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
> I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
> already have a working Binhex to decode their files....

I, too, am interested in getting a copy of BINHEX.  If you respond,
would you please either cc me or post the answer.  Thank you very
much.

--Dave
--
David L. Kensiski   [KB6HCN]    Martin Marietta Data Systems
Software Engineer               1770 Tribute Road, upstairs

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (07/30/89)

>In message <89198.143149SML108@PSUVM>, SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
> I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
> already have a working Binhex to decode their files....

If you have Think Pascal, you can compile BinHex 4.0 from the text sources
stored at sumex-aim.stanford.edu. I think the file name is
/info-mac/source/pascal/binhex-40.txt.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) (07/30/89)

In article <10962@polya.Stanford.EDU>, lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) writes:

> >In message <89198.143149SML108@PSUVM>, SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> > Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
> > I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
> > already have a working Binhex to decode their files....
>
> If you have Think Pascal, you can compile BinHex 4.0 from the text sources
> stored at sumex-aim.stanford.edu. I think the file name is
> /info-mac/source/pascal/binhex-40.txt.
>
> Bill Lipa
> Info-Mac

You can get the file Binhex 4.0 or Binhex 5.0 from rascal.ics.utexas.edu
without decoding. First, get the following files from mac/communications
        Binhex_4.0_bin
        Binhex_5.0_bin
with binary mode and download the files with binary mode.
Now you have the file Binhex 4.0 or Binhex 5.0.

If you have problems, read the info files
          00.about.binary-files
          00.about.compressed-files
          00.problem.with.binaries
in mac directory.

Good luck!!!    s j moon

roy@sts.sts.UUCP (08/16/89)

/* Written 11:31 am  Jul 17, 1989 by sml108@psuvm.UUCP in sts:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Binhex" ---------- */
Does anyone know where to obtain a non binhex encoded version of Binhex ?
I have looked at several archives and they all seem to require you to
already have a working Binhex to decode their files....

Thanks in Advance...
/* End of text from sts:comp.sys.mac */

I have the same question at the same time, coincidentally enough.  I
know next to nothing about the Mac, but I would like to be able to get
Mac binaries from comp.binaries.mac for my roommate.

I know about and have uu{en,de}code and atob/btoa.  Can anyone mail a
copy of BinHex in either of these formats?  I also have Portal access,
so I could use some pointers about where to start looking (a
preliminary search turned up zilch, but there are many nooks and
crannies I may have missed ...)  Thanks!

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy    |
Semiconductor Test Solutions | Internet: sts!roy@Claris.COM      |
4101 Burton Dr.              | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)|
Santa Clara, CA  95054	     |         (408) 289-1035      (home)|

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (05/07/90)

Hi, can one of you kind souls out there send me the latest version of BinHex
PLEASE!!!!

thanks in advance,
Wayne,

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

aissing@qtp.ufl.edu (Gerrard Aissing) (06/14/90)

Hi,

Could anyone tell me where I can obtain a working copy of BINHEX.
I find a lot of BINHEXed programs on the network that I can't
use.

Thanks!  Gerrard Aissing