[comp.sys.mac] Telecomm/Networking Question

deboni@diego.llnl.gov (Tom DeBoni) (06/12/90)

A Telecomm/Networking Question:

I need a software and/or hardware answer to the need to connect Macs over
phone lines to other Macs, and have them all look like co-residents on the
same Appletalk zone.

I'm looking into the Shiva product line, but so far I don't see what I
need. I have a pool of high-speed Telebit modems on a Vax running Unix.
Normally, my users get access to other Unix machines via this pool and
telnet/rlogin. The Ethernet backbone is connected to Appletalk by a Fast-
path gateway. Is there any software that will allow us to dial in to the
modems and interact with the Macs on the Appletalk zone, via the TCP/IP-
Ethernet-Kinetics relay team? I'm especially interested in using Appleshare,
and maybe Tops. I see Shiva has dial-in access software for their own
products, but I already have modems and gateways, and I don't want to buy
more.

Tom DeBoni (deboni@diego.llnl.gov)

tag@symbas.UUCP (Arne Gisvold) (06/13/90)

deboni@diego.llnl.gov (Tom DeBoni) writes:

>I need a software and/or hardware answer to the need to connect Macs over
>phone lines to other Macs, and have them all look like co-residents on the
>same Appletalk zone.

Why do you need to make them look part of the *same* zone? If you need
to connect networks together this could cause a number of problems,
but if you only need to connect one remote Macintosh to a network
solutions exist.

- Shiva Netserial/Netbridge comes with a product called Dial-in. Place
this in the system folder of the remote Mac and you can now dial into
the Netserial/Netbridge/Telebridge and become part of the network zone
it is connected to. If your (remote) mac is part of a network, it will
temporarely be disconnected from its local network. Works great. TOPS
works across this even at 2400 baud - Gatorboxes don't.

- Also look at Liaison, tthis product comes with Liaisonet to let you
do the same thing as Shiva Dial-in, and the full Liaison lets you
connect two or more full Appletalk networks by modems. Also works o.k.

>Tom DeBoni (deboni@diego.llnl.gov)

Regards
Tor-Arne
--
!  Tor-Arne Gisvold   -   Symbiotic Computer Systems A/S
!  adress : Sandgt. 2 ,  N7001 Trondheim, Norway

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (06/15/90)

Arne Grisvold writes:
- Shiva Netserial/Netbridge comes with a product called Dial-in. Place
this in the system folder of the remote Mac and you can now dial into
the Netserial/Netbridge/Telebridge and become part of the network zone
it is connected to. If your (remote) mac is part of a network, it will
temporarely be disconnected from its local network. Works great. TOPS
works across this even at 2400 baud - Gatorboxes don't.

True, except that Gatorbox also works.  At least it does for me,
just fine.

(Of course, 2400B is 100x slower than the 256KB appletalk, so you
shouldn't be surprised; e.g., a file that prints locally in 10sec
will take about 16min.)

Drew Wade
drew@objy.com