[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 Ugrade Price

howard@alpha.la.locus.com (Howard Moskovitz) (06/13/90)

I am in the market to upgrade my SE to an SE/30. I am currently shopping
around for the best price I can find for this upgrade. Please post the
best price you may have found for the upgrade with the following info:

	1) Price WITH FDHD

	2) Price without FDHD

	3) Is there a rebate associated with trade in of the
	   SE motherboard?

Thanks in advance.
Howard Moskovitz @ Locus Computing

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (06/13/90)

howard@alpha.la.locus.com (Howard Moskovitz) writes:

>I am in the market to upgrade my SE to an SE/30. I am currently shopping
>around for the best price I can find for this upgrade. Please post the
>best price you may have found for the upgrade with the following info:

>	1) Price WITH FDHD

>	2) Price without FDHD

>	3) Is there a rebate associated with trade in of the
>	   SE motherboard?

>Thanks in advance.
>Howard Moskovitz @ Locus Computing

Shreve Systems (800/227-3971) of Shreveport, La., advertised a $1,050
or thereabouts price, I think not including the FDHD.

barnette@banyan.UUCP (Steve Barnette) (06/14/90)

In article <10657@oolong.la.locus.com> howard@alpha.la.locus.com (Howard Moskovitz) writes:

>I am in the market to upgrade my SE to an SE/30. I am currently shopping
>around for the best price I can find for this upgrade. Please post the
>best price you may have found for the upgrade with the following info:
>
>	1) Price WITH FDHD
>
>	2) Price without FDHD
>
>	3) Is there a rebate associated with trade in of the
>	   SE motherboard?

I'm interested in this also. I hear the actual price list from Apple
has the motherboard rebate printed right on it. Try to get a store
to admit to it is impossible. I keep getting quotes around $1600 and
up.  I heard that if you turn in the motherboard its about half that
price $800.

I know it's a pretty extensive upgrade, a lot of parts are swapped,
But $1600 is a lot of money. In Fact one store told me I could sell
my SE used and buy a SE/30 cheaper with discounts than the upgrade
would cost.

What has the rest of you heard?

Steve Barnette
Banyan Systems

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) (06/15/90)

In article <898@banyan.UUCP> barnette@banyan.UUCP (Steve Barnette) writes:
[stuff deleted...]
>But $1600 is a lot of money. In Fact one store told me I could sell
>my SE used and buy a SE/30 cheaper with discounts than the upgrade
>would cost.
>
>What has the rest of you heard?

In working closely with some Apple Reps here at SU, the preceeding
statement was the truth. I would pay near $1800 for an SE -> SE/30
upgrade, yet if I sold my SE and bought an SE/30 new, it would cost
me about $66 (ie the difference between the amount I could get for
my SE and the cost of a comparable SE/30)

Apple, I don't get it. The upgrade policy doesn't seem to work with
hardware at all does it? I love my Mac, but those numbers make no
sense whatsoever.

			IMHO...one man's...Ace--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |
| Internet/ARPA: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu              |      \_  _/     |
| Bitnet:        jstewart@sunrise.bitnet                 |        /\	  A|

In article <3741@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) writes:

>upgrade, yet if I sold my SE and bought an SE/30 new, it would cost
>me about $66 (ie the difference between the amount I could get for
>my SE and the cost of a comparable SE/30)

In my own article, that should have been $600. My apologies to all,
and please don't flame me too much. :-)

			Sorry for the confusion...Ace

--

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/15/90)

In article <898@banyan.UUCP>, barnette@banyan.UUCP (Steve Barnette) writes:
> In article <10657@oolong.la.locus.com> howard@alpha.la.locus.com
(Howard Moskovitz) writes:

> >I am in the market to upgrade my SE to an SE/30. I am currently shopping
> >around for the best price I can find for this upgrade. Please post the
> >best price you may have found for the upgrade with the following info:
> >
> >	1) Price WITH FDHD
> >
> >	2) Price without FDHD
> >
> >	3) Is there a rebate associated with trade in of the
> >	   SE motherboard?
>
> I'm interested in this also. I hear the actual price list from Apple
> has the motherboard rebate printed right on it. Try to get a store
> to admit to it is impossible. I keep getting quotes around $1600 and
> up.  I heard that if you turn in the motherboard its about half that
> price $800.
>
> I know it's a pretty extensive upgrade, a lot of parts are swapped,
> But $1600 is a lot of money. In Fact one store told me I could sell
> my SE used and buy a SE/30 cheaper with discounts than the upgrade
> would cost.
>
> What has the rest of you heard?
There's a special deal on at Stanford now, where you can trade your old
Mac in if buying a faster one. The trade-in values of SEs and Pluses are
close to the price of a new one*. Not surprisingly, the Bookstore appears
to have been swamped (the wait time for delivery has gone up from 1 week
to 4). Since this seems to have worked well, maybe Apple will do the same
at other universities. In general: selling and replacing seems to be a
better strategy than upgrading - you get a whole new machine with 1 year
warrantee, and it could cost you less if your old machine is in good
condition/not obsolete.
-----
* at university pricing, of course

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

vnend@idunno.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (06/15/90)

In article <3741@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) writes:
)In article <898@banyan.UUCP> barnette@banyan.UUCP (Steve Barnette) writes:
)[stuff deleted...]
)>But $1600 is a lot of money. In Fact one store told me I could sell
)>my SE used and buy a SE/30 cheaper with discounts than the upgrade
)>would cost.

)In working closely with some Apple Reps here at SU, the preceeding
)statement was the truth. I would pay near $1800 for an SE -> SE/30
)upgrade, yet if I sold my SE and bought an SE/30 new, it would cost
)me about $66 (ie the difference between the amount I could get for
)my SE and the cost of a comparable SE/30)

	Prices that I've seen (university pricing) work out like this:

New SE w/ 20 meg hd	~1060
New SE/30 w 40 meg hd	~1950
Upgrade SE -> SE/30	~1900
Rebate for old board	 750
Total upgrade cost	~1150

So the path isn't as rediculous as it first appears, as long as the
people doing your upgrade aren't keeping that old MB for themselves.
You still end up paying an extra 250 or so, but if you don't have
two grand in the first place, it isn't too bad.

(All prices are approximate AUC pricing, not including local markup and
taxes.)

)Apple, I don't get it. The upgrade policy doesn't seem to work with
)hardware at all does it? I love my Mac, but those numbers make no
)sense whatsoever.

	The one that doesn't make any sense is the 512 & 128 to plus
upgrades.  Rock bottom, no mark up, no taxes, you get all the refunds
for old roms and drives etc returned to apple gets you an upgrade to
a whole plus for about 475.  Figure 600 for a more reasonable price.
But the AUC price for a *new* Plus is $649.  That's about 750 after
markup and tax.  Anyone who buy's apples upgrade is an idiot  (and, yes,
there are some of us that could use a mear plus.)

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@idunno.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

In article <904@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@idunno.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
>	Prices that I've seen (university pricing) work out like this:
>
>New SE w/ 20 meg hd	~1060
>New SE/30 w 40 meg hd	~1950
>Upgrade SE -> SE/30	~1900
>Rebate for old board	 750
>Total upgrade cost	~1150
>
>So the path isn't as rediculous as it first appears, as long as the
>people doing your upgrade aren't keeping that old MB for themselves.
>You still end up paying an extra 250 or so, but if you don't have
>two grand in the first place, it isn't too bad.

The prices I was working with are not even comparable. If the cost
has gone down to this, then most of my arguments quiet down. I still
beleive that much of it doesn't make sense, but it appears for the
SE/30 upgrade it is getting better.

>	The one that doesn't make any sense is the 512 & 128 to plus
>upgrades.  Rock bottom, no mark up, no taxes, you get all the refunds
>for old roms and drives etc returned to apple gets you an upgrade to
>a whole plus for about 475.  Figure 600 for a more reasonable price.
>But the AUC price for a *new* Plus is $649.  That's about 750 after
>markup and tax.  Anyone who buy's apples upgrade is an idiot  (and, yes,
>there are some of us that could use a mear plus.)

I didn't realize that, but if the SE/30 situation is being corrected,
perhaps soon this situation will be. And Brooklyn is for sale if
anyone is interested.  :-)

==

To follow up on the Stanfored deal, are their Apple people that may
make mention of the possibility that this offer will move out to
other Universities? I like the idea of trading an SE in..

					Ace