[comp.sys.mac] Reverse Engineering: can we

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (06/15/90)

To Alex Pournell and anyone else who might wish to clone the Mac:

How much money do you need? Can we buy shares in your company?

I would love to see a standard Mac SE clone with HD and A4 or other larger
screen for Apple's price of a Mac Plus.

Recent IBM compatible ads in Australia say
"Buya clone and we'll throw in Windows 3.0: get Mac funcionality without
the cost!"

Now we know that this isn't really true, but the suckers in this world
believe it. Why can't we have a REAL clone of the Mac?

*====*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Phil Ryan
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics
Canberra, Australia
pfr654@csc.anu.oz   phone:(61-6) 249 4678

ken@hotlips.COM (Ken MacLeod 3584) (06/16/90)

In article <2240.2678cb13@csc.anu.oz> pfr654@csc.anu.oz writes:
>I would love to see a standard Mac SE clone with HD and A4 or other
>larger screen for Apple's price of a Mac Plus.
>
>Recent IBM compatible ads in Australia say
>"Buya clone and we'll throw in Windows 3.0: get Mac funcionality without
>the cost!"
>
>Now we know that this isn't really true, but the suckers in this
>world believe it. Why can't we have a REAL clone of the Mac?

  Simple, a clone and Windows 3.0 is a very good example of why you
can't have a REAL clone that costs less than the Mac: if you don't put
the money and time into making a product as good, it won't be as good.

  If you _do_ put the money and time into making a product as good, it
will cost just as much.

>To Alex Pournell and anyone else who might wish to clone the Mac:

  I missed the original post, but I wish them luck if they attempt
this.

  If they make a graphically and functionally similar interface (same
look and feel), they're looking at duplicating a few hundred K of
fairly to very well coded assembly code, of which many internal
functions are not documented and a few are patented (one of which, if
I remember correctly, is the "region" implementation of graphics
drawing and clipping that is the basis of the Mac's round-edged
controls and windows).  Much of the current code is about to be
replaced with System 7.0, so add on the time to figure out what the
new system does and how it does it.

  If one believes that graphics and functionality (look and feel) of a
user interface is an implementation of an idea and falls under
copyright or other protection, and/or Apple continues in their desire
to protect their implementation of a user interface, then one is
looking at a huge investment in research and development, trial and
error and user testing to make an interface that works as well as the
Mac's does and works with the applications that currently run on the
Mac, without looking and feeling like a Mac.

  There are examples in the computer field of interfaces that are
different, but very few that have had as much user testing and
refinement as the Mac's shows.  If I were asked to manage the team to
re-write the Window Mgr (WDEFs), Control Mgr (CDEFs), Dialog Mgr, Menu
Mgr (MDEFs), and TextEdit, _and_ to make it as easy to use and
complete as the Mac's, I`d estimate $5 mil for the first three years.
It's _not_ the programming time that's costly, it's coming up with
ideas, designing them, prototyping them to a high level of
functionality, test them with users, and start all over again to find
the best things that all work together.

  Personally I think people's effort would be better spent trying to
convince Apple to license their OS and user interface.  Or better yet,
if it's decided to put in the research and development effort then
jump past the Mac as the Mac jumped past the PC.

  Now that the processing power is available, we should go back to
what Xerox PARC was doing with SmallTalk, yet use a friendlier
language (HyperTalk?).  The object (pun intended) is you don't have
things called "applications" (monolithic unchangeable user modes).
Instead, you have "formats" or "styles" which themselves contain other
"formats".  A "spreadsheet" is a format that contains things in
row/column pattern, a word processor is a format that contains things
in mostly vertical printed-page based pattern, a free-form format
(like ???-Draw), etc.  The "calc" portion of a conventional
spreadsheet is in this system an "agent" that runs through objects in
any format and performs operations on groups of them (i.e. an invoice
designed in free-form format).  [side note: this concept is very much
like GNU Emacs' major and minor modes, and would have similar
self-documenting, customizable, and extensible features applied to
"objects" instead of text.]

  Sigh.  Instead of trying to blatantly copy 7-8 year old work done by
someone else, thereby making a step sideways, why don't we try to take
a step _forward_?

  Oh well, so much for idle day dreaming...

  -- Ken
--
Ken MacLeod                -*-Don't-*-Mode-*-Me-*-In-*-
ken@snowhit.att.com