[comp.sys.mac] running apple software on a mac

linda@medisun.UUCP (Linda L. Tanner) (06/15/90)

I have a Mac SE which my 7 year old son uses for playing games. AT
his school they have Apple IIc or IIe I believe and he wants to be
able to play some of those games on my mac at home.  I don't want
to buy an Apple II computer for him if there is some way to make
the programs run on my SE.  I understand a new low cost Mac is
coming out which should be apple to run the Apple programs but I
don't want to chuck the SE which is only a year or so old and buy
a new Mac. Does anyone know of a way to run the apple programs on
a Mac and what equipment would be needed to do it?  Would I be
better off just getting him his own used Apple computer?  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering *******) (06/16/90)

Yes there is a progrm to emulate an Apple II.

It's called II in a Mac (most appropriate), and works very well.
In fact if you have a Macintosh with one of Apple's FDHDs you can
run programs straight off of the floppy drive of the Apple II formatted disk.

To find out more information on the II in a Mac program look at the
back advertising section of MacUser, there is usually an add for the program.

           -Rob

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (06/16/90)

}{ in a Mac is a low-cost program (Under $75 US) that will do
what you want . . . the question is will it read the 3.5 disks
or do you need the 5.25-inch vesrion your son's programs are
probably on.......

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/16/90)

In article <90166.140912RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET> RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering *******) writes:

>In fact if you have a Macintosh with one of Apple's FDHDs you can
>run programs straight off of the floppy drive of the Apple II formatted disk.

You don't need FDHD drives to do this.  ][ in a Mac will read Apple II disks
just fine and with ProDOS will format them.  I know you can format Apple II
800k disks in the standard floppy drive with Apple File Exchange, but I
haven't tried it with ][ in a Mac.

c60a-3hu@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Howard Jones) (06/17/90)

In article <90166.140912RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET> RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering *******) writes:
>Yes there is a progrm to emulate an Apple II.
>
>It's called II in a Mac (most appropriate), and works very well.
>In fact if you have a Macintosh with one of Apple's FDHDs you can
>run programs straight off of the floppy drive of the Apple II formatted disk.

You don't need an FDHD... it's only needed to read the MFM formatting on
MS-DOS disks. In fact, the Apple II doesn't support the HD floppy at the
moment, that APple marketing folks say that only the FDHD reads/writes
APple II ProDOS/GSOS disks is a bunch of marketing creb because the Apple
File Exchange program then didn't come with ProDOS translator and not becoz
the hardware doesn't exist.

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (C. Irby)) (06/17/90)

In article <1990Jun16.183653.28419@agate.berkeley.edu>
>, c60a-3hu@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Howard Jones) writes:

> You don't need an FDHD... it's only needed to read the MFM formatting on
> MS-DOS disks. In fact, the Apple II doesn't support the HD floppy at the
> moment, that APple marketing folks say that only the FDHD reads/writes
> APple II ProDOS/GSOS disks is a bunch of marketing creb because the Apple
> File Exchange program then didn't come with ProDOS translator and not becoz
> the hardware doesn't exist.

Uhhh... the Apple File Exchange program has been able to read ProDos disks
since it was first released... the Apple marketing folks have *never* said
you needed the FDHD disk to read ProDOS disks.

Maybe you just misunderstood...

C Irby
ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
ac08@untvax