[comp.sys.mac] GIFConverter

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (01/21/89)

In article <5672@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Tony Chen) writes:
>In article <1503@tank.uchicago.edu> c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu writes:
>>Someone recently commented in a posting that there is a
>>program that converts GIF formated color pictures to black
>>and white (so MacPlus/MacSE users can see them).  While I
>>have been able to find the program Giffer at several
>>archives, the alleged conversion program Gif Converter does
>>not seem to be there.
>>
>>Does such a program *really* exist?  If so will someone send
>>me a copy?

There's a program available on sumex-aim.stanford.edu called VisionLab that
allows GIF files to be displayed on a Black and White Mac.  I don't know
exactly where to find it, but I know that it's there.

-Ace

>.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/16/90)

Greetings,

  Well, for those of you who've been asking about decoding GIF files and
converting various image types (TIFF, RIFF, PICT, EPSF, PNTG) to various other
types, I have been given permission by GIF Converter's author, Kevin Mitchell,
to post the demo version of GIF Converter 2.0d12 to the net.  I'll post it to
SUMEX, and to comp.binaries.mac.  Kevin said that .d12 would be released in
the very near future, so I am waiting until then to post (it apparently
contains several bug fixes).  2.0d12 is a demo version of the program.  It is
fully functional, but images on screen or saved to disk are corrupted by
vertical lines through them.  When the registration fee is paid ($30 for
registration, $40 for registration and upgrade path to next version), you get
documentation and a software key that unlocks the demo (and any further
releases of 2.0).

--Mike

P.S.  I'm just an extremely satisfied customer.  I've never gotten so much use
out of such a reasonably priced piece of software!

robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner) (02/22/90)

Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
Giffer after 1.03?  That version has a bug which I hope was
fixed in a later version.

Thanks in advance,

=Steve=

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) (02/23/90)

In article <23018@usc.edu> robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner) writes:

>Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
>Giffer after 1.03?  That version has a bug which I hope was
>fixed in a later version.

Yes, 1.06. I haven't seen anything later than this.

				R. Kanner
				UCSD CHEM

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (02/23/90)

In article <23018@usc.edu> robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner) writes:

>Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
>Giffer after 1.03?

The current version is 1.06 (and it's been at this version for awhile). It
should be available at sumex-aim; if not, someone let me know, and I'll send
a copy over there...

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (02/23/90)

In article <23018@usc.edu> robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner) writes:
>Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
>Giffer after 1.03?  That version has a bug which I hope was
>fixed in a later version.

Use Vision Lab.  I consider it a replacement for Giffer.  Many more options
and features.  It's at sumex, info-mac/demo directory.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:  perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu        <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  GEnie:  W.PEREZ1                              <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (02/24/90)

> Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
> Giffer after 1.03?  That version has a bug which I hope was
> fixed in a later version.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> =Steve=

                 The 'current' version is 1.06 .
                                                   -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563.1!Ed.Edell

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (02/27/90)

In an article of <22 Feb 90 08:29:37 GMT>, robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner)
writes:

 SR>Can some kind soul out there tell me if there exists a version of
 SR>Giffer after 1.03?  That version has a bug which I hope was
 SR>fixed in a later version.

Giffer 1.06 is available on EyeNet 602-941-3747

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (06/28/90)

Greetings,

  I've been informed by Kevin Mitchell, the author of the keyware program
GIFConverter, that he's going to convert it to shareware for public release.
This decision was made, apparently, because of the controversy about having
crippled software posted to the binaries archives and lists.

  For those of you who don't know about GIFConverter, it's a graphics
application that can open and display most Mac graphics files, and save them
back out in different formats (Including:  PICT, Startup Screen (Mac & Mac
II), GIF, TIFF, RIFF, EPS, RLE, and scan images).

  I will be receiving the new copy by mail soon, at which point I will upload
it to Sumex and send it to comp.binaries.mac.  If anyone would like to suggest
another site to which I sould send it, let me know.

  The keyware fee has been $40, so I expect the shareware fee to be comparable
if not the same.

  Any questions?  Send them to me.

--Mike

(And who am I, you might ask?  A satisfied customer, I'd reply).