[comp.sys.mac] Software Patents

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (05/13/89)

I recall that there was a discussion of software patents a few weeks ago.  Some
people argued that algorithms could be patented; some said they couldn't.

Well the truth is: they can be, and are -- in ever increasing numbers.  Check
out today's New York Times: there's a front page article on the rising trend in
software patenting.

Apparently some firm is claiming that Hypercard is infringing on its patents
(they're not going after Apple; instead they're trying to get $100 out of each
HyperCard developer, or something like that).  Another firm filed a patent on
some part of windows (not "Windows", like from Microsoft; but "windows", the
generic concept!).  On this last one, the NYT wasn't too clear what the firm
claimed to be patenting, and seemed skeptical about it's importance.

I believe in protection of innovation, and to some extent "look and feel" (I'm
one of those seemingly few people who side with Apple in the Apple/Microsoft
case), but some of this stuff in the article is pretty scary.  One person
suggested there might even have to be a clearinghouse for patents, where
programmers could check out whether a concept was patented or not.  Sheesh!

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine
------
MOFO knows!

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (05/16/89)

>I believe in protection of innovation, and to some extent "look and feel" (I'm
>one of those seemingly few people who side with Apple in the Apple/Microsoft
>case), but some of this stuff in the article is pretty scary.  One person
>suggested there might even have to be a clearinghouse for patents, where
>programmers could check out whether a concept was patented or not.  Sheesh!

As a recent grantee of a software patent, I feel somewhat qualified to put my
oar in (OK, so I'm bragging). BTW, to a large degree, I also side with Apple
over Microsoft.

In my case, I work for a large corporation. They filed "my" patent for me, they
also claimed the rights by being the "assignee." This is a result of my having
legally agreed that any patents that developed as a result of work assignments
would be "owned" by Tektronix. If you work for a large place, you probably did
this too; the courts upheld the process several years ago. The result is that
my total benefit for my patents is a steak dinner, a plaque, and a warm hand-
shake from the president.

Patents, as used by the big boys, is a far cry from the idea of "protecting the
innovator." Companies regularly and as standard practice seem to knowingly
violate patents (though I have never seen this at Tektronix!). The idea seems
to be to collect patents more as a self-defense measure. If some guy comes for
you about violating his patent, you then examine his instruments carefully.
Chances are, "he" (being a big corporation) will be in violation of several of
your patents. You then come back defensively and say "if you sue me over this
patent, I'll sue you over this, and this, and this, and THAT!" You wouldn't
care about his violating your patents until he decides to get offensive.

The "his" and "you" above refer to large corporations.

About 20 years ago, Tektronix went through the hassle of proving patent viola-
tion. The US Air Force contracted with some companies to make exact copies of
a certain model of Tek oscilloscope. They copied it, right down to some extra
chassis holes that were left in the design but no longer used. I mean, the
copying was blatant.

It took Tektronix 18 years, millions of lawyer dollars, and enormous angst to
finish this out. Had the company been a little less naive, it would never have
started, and I doubt it would today, at least on that scale. (Disclaimer: I am
NOT in the Patents department here, and there has been some wind of their being
less tolerant of violations in the future nowadays.)

The point of it all? While patents are supposedly protection for the little
guy, the little guy is all but left out in the cold. Unless you can spend a lot
to protect yourself, you're out of luck. "Just how much justice can you AFFORD,
Mr. Inventor?"

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM

kmarko@hpbsla.HP.COM (Kurt_Marko) (05/17/89)

/ hpbsla:comp.sys.mac / briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) / 12:33 pm  May 15, 1989 /
>>I believe in protection of innovation, and to some extent "look and feel" (I'm
>>one of those seemingly few people who side with Apple in the Apple/Microsoft
>>case), but some of this stuff in the article is pretty scary.  One person
>>suggested there might even have to be a clearinghouse for patents, where
>>programmers could check out whether a concept was patented or not.  Sheesh!

...proverbial 'stuff deleted'

>innovator." Companies regularly and as standard practice seem to knowingly
>violate patents (though I have never seen this at Tektronix!). The idea seems
>to be to collect patents more as a self-defense measure. If some guy comes for
>you about violating his patent, you then examine his instruments carefully.
>Chances are, "he" (being a big corporation) will be in violation of several of
>your patents. You then come back defensively and say "if you sue me over this
>patent, I'll sue you over this, and this, and this, and THAT!" You wouldn't
>care about his violating your patents until he decides to get offensive.

>-Brian Diehm
>Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM
>P.O. Box 500, M/S 39-383
>Beaverton, OR   97077                        (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

I don't believe this is entirely correct, at least in my experience with
large corporations.  Most large companies have "cross-licensing" aggreements
with many (or most) of their competitors which allows the use of each
other's patents (I'm obviously no lawyer, so pardon my vagueness).  These
aggreements are made to head off just the sort of threats that Brian
refers to above.  Now, when some smaller (or foreign) company tries to use
ideas patented by one of the big boys, he usally gets stepped on (witness TI's
recent "settlements" with Micron and several Japanese companies regarding
patents on DRAM technology).

Kurt Marko
H-P
kmarko@hpbsla.hp.com

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (06/27/90)

In <12863@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>In article <1990Jun19.184347.11429@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>>There are indeed patents on some of the material in the Mac ROM.  The only one
>>I know about specifically is "Regions".

I remember there was some talk of Apple trying to patent the region
implementation, but I never heard that it worked.  Does anyone actually
know the patent number?  (Lots of times the trade press will talk about
patents, but *very* seldom list the number.  The inclusion of those
numbers would actually allow people to go look up the patent and
see the real truth instead of some vague notions passed along by the
writers.)

A patent I know Apple *does* have is 4,464,652: for their mouse
and the way of using it for pull-down menus.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company(sm)]

north@Apple.COM (Don North) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun27.135727.17779@siia.mv.com> drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) writes:
>In <12863@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>
>>In article <1990Jun19.184347.11429@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>
>>>There are indeed patents on some of the material in the Mac ROM.  The only one
>>>I know about specifically is "Regions".
>
>I remember there was some talk of Apple trying to patent the region
>implementation, but I never heard that it worked.  Does anyone actually
>know the patent number?  (Lots of times the trade press will talk about
>patents, but *very* seldom list the number.  The inclusion of those
>numbers would actually allow people to go look up the patent and
>see the real truth instead of some vague notions passed along by the
>writers.)

Here's a short list of some of Apple's H/W and S/W related patents:

4,136,359, Jan 23, 1979, Microcomputer For Use With Video Display (Apple ][)

4,210,959, Jul  1, 1980, Controller For Magnetic Disc, Recorder, or the like

4,278,972, Jul 14, 1981, Digitally-Controlled Color Signal Generation Means
                         for Use With Display (Apple ][ color)

4,464,652, Aug  7, 1984, Cursor Control Device For Use With Display Systems

4,466,033, Aug 14, 1984, Disk Drive With Automatic Disc Clamping And Ejecting

4,622,545, Nov 11, 1986, Method And Apparatus For Image Compression
                         And Manipulation (ie, Regions)

4,661,902, Apr 28, 1987, Local Area Network With Carrier Sense Collision
                         Avoidance (Appletalk/Localtalk)

4,689,786, Aug 25, 1987, Local Area Network With Self Assigned Address Method

4,742,448, May  3, 1988, Integrated Floppy Disk Drive Controller

4,884,069, Nov 28, 1989, Video Apparatus Employing VRAMS (MacII video card)

4,910,670, Mar 20, 1990, Sound Generation and Disk Speed Control Apparatus
                         for use with Computer Systems (original Mac sound)

4,916,556, Apr 10, 1990, Disk Drive Controller (SWIM floppy controller)

4,931,783, Jun  5, 1990, Method and Apparatus for Removable Menu Window

--

Don North   -----   Apple Computer, Inc.   -----   Advanced Technology Group

UUCP: ...!{voder,nsc,decwrl,sun}!apple!north          CSNET: north@Apple.COM

{{ Facts are facts,  but any opinions expressed are my own,  and *do not* }}
{{ represent any viewpoint, official or otherwise, of Apple Computer, Inc.}}

In article <42490@apple.Apple.COM> north@Apple.COM (Don North) writes:

>Here's a short list of some of Apple's H/W and S/W related patents:
>
>4,910,670, Mar 20, 1990, Sound Generation and Disk Speed Control Apparatus
>                         for use with Computer Systems (original Mac sound)

Er, the title looks right, but the date looks wrong-- what happened to the
Apple Sound Chip, which should have been patented about this time.  And
why wasn't this patent done earlier?

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
      George:  Read your OWN lips