[comp.sys.mac] Amax Mac emulator

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (12/10/89)

I have heard a lot about the AMAX (is that the spelling?) Macintosh emulator
for the Amiga computer. Could someone provide me with some information on this?
(Private mail would be better, but it i'll get it either way)

Here are some of the things I am looking for:

1) Price

2) Compatibility. What model Macs (ie Plus/SE/II) does it emulate? What
types of software work, and what types dont work?

3) Speed (compared to Plus/SE/II)

4) Performance with Amiga interface (ie disk storage, Amiga mouse, graphics,
keyboard)

5) Any overall impressions and final thoughts.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

dac@zehntel.zehntel.com (Dennis Carlson) (12/13/89)

In article <6145@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>I have heard a lot about the AMAX (is that the spelling?) Macintosh emulator
>for the Amiga computer. Could someone provide me with some information on this?
>(Private mail would be better, but it i'll get it either way)
>
>Here are some of the things I am looking for:

I could use the same information too. One of my friends would be interested.
If someone could e-mail me the same information I would appreciate it.
Thank you

 The opinions here are true. The author, however, is the product
 of a demented imagination.	        ucbvax-\
 		   	                sun-----}-!zehntel!dac
			                varian-/

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (12/13/89)

A recent issue of Computer Shopper (Oct or Nov '89) has a
fairly detailed review of AMAX.  I've used it a lot...if you have
specific questions, email them to me and I'll try to answer them.

GHGAQBA@BLEKUL11.BITNET (Pottie Karl) (06/14/90)

>2) What won't work under AMAX emulation? (e.g. color/sound, also any programs?)
      *no color
      *no sound
      *no harddisk support
      *very poor printer support
      *a bit unreliable
>4) What are the relative cost and speed differences between real Mac and AMAX?
    Amax is 30% FASTER than a Mac+
>5) Why shouldn't I do it this way?
      *you need at least a 2Mb Amiga to emulate a 1Mb Mac
      *only Mac+ emulation
      * you can transport files to amax, but
        unless you get a Macdrive, you can't transport them back
        to a real mac. Use of Amax requires being able to access a real
        Mac
    *interlace flicker gives you headaches. Because of interlace,
     the emulated mac is virtually unusable for longer periods of time.
     The alternative is using the lo-res screen, which scrolls all the
     time and drives you crazy

conclusion: Amax is a gizmo. It's very nice, but not an alternative
            to buying a real Mac. Recommended only if you already
            have an Amiga, and use the Amiga mainly as Amiga.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (06/15/90)

I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend about Macs and Amigas (we
tease each other about our taste in computers :-)), and it occured to me that
it might well be possible to write an Amiga emulator for the Mac IIx, as
long as the PMMU wasn't being used for VM.  Don't know how fast you could
make it, but it would be a nifty thing...

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
--

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (06/28/90)

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>set their horde of lawyers loose on the AMAX folks because AMAX is limited
>to use with 64K ROMs.  I'd bet that things would get nasty if a version
>supporting 128K (or, heaven forbid, 256K) ROMs was released.  As far as
>PMMUs go, you can stick them in Amigas too.

Wrong.  The Spectre GCR, and the older Spectre, use 128K ROMs and have
been available in various forms for several years.  Great product, makes
a good home Mac.  Good use for an Atari 1040 or 512, since Atari ain't
providing a lot of uses :-(

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

coxc0045@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/30/90)

In article <jwright.645866671@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>I don't think the problems are technical, but are political.  Apple hasn't
>set their horde of lawyers loose on the AMAX folks because AMAX is limited
>to use with 64K ROMs.  I'd bet that things would get nasty if a version
>supporting 128K (or, heaven forbid, 256K) ROMs was released.  As far as
>PMMUs go, you can stick them in Amigas too.
>
>But life remains the same--to get a real mac, you buy from apple.
>
>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu
>Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corp.

Just the plain fact: A-Max does support the 128K ROMs since the first version!
They are coming out with an A-Max II which may or may not support the 256K roms
.
the current A-Max also supports the old 64K roms but not recommanded because of
compatability with new softwares and HFS (without using a patch).

compatablilty is very good with most non-games and non-MIDI softwares.about
95% of softwares will run well.

screen size can be set up to a 640x400 (or 640x512 for PAL in Europe, etc).
so if a software uses it, you have a larger screen.
using the A2024 monitor (or Viking), you have 19" 1024x1024 (I'm not sure)
for the New ECS equipped Amiga(like A3000), 640x480 is supported non-interlaced.

speed is about that of the SE and screen output is a little faster, using a
7.16 Mhz stock Amiga, (faster w/ accelerator).

price: for educational discount: superb price/performance ratio.
       not bad for others too.

hardrive is supported by third party and also next version of A-Max.

AppleTalk is not supported on current version, buy a real Mac if you need this
to use Mac.

the Spectre GCR Macintosh emulator for the Atari ST line is also very good
alternative, especially in price.

a side product is utilities to transfer files to/from Mac/IBM/Amiga becomes
much easier sitting on one machine. Amiga also reads Atari ST disks and
the Atari_Mac emulation format.

a comment about your last line:
>But life remains the same--to get a real mac, you buy from apple.

It reminds me of some years ago when IBM clones are not that compatible w/
the real IBM, someone has said similar comment, if you want full compatible
computer, buy it from IBM. although newer roms of BIOS from Phoenix and
Awards are extremely compatible and better and faster, somebody today still
claims/thinks the real IBM is better buy despite of a much higher price.

this is my opinion, what's yours?

BTW, don't listen to people, see it for yourself, go to a good Amiga dealer
and ask to see a demo on the new Amiga 3000 (best if they have A-Max on it too).
on different applications running (at the same time of course :-)

--
/*****************************************************************************/
/*    David Tse      Internet: coxc0045@ucselx.sdsu.edu (expire 8/30/90)     */

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/01/90)

coxc0045@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:
>a comment about your last line:
>>But life remains the same--to get a real mac, you buy from apple.
>It reminds me of some years ago when IBM clones are not that compatible w/
>the real IBM, someone has said similar comment, if you want full compatible
>computer, buy it from IBM. although newer roms of BIOS from Phoenix and
>Awards are extremely compatible and better and faster, somebody today still
>claims/thinks the real IBM is better buy despite of a much higher price.
>this is my opinion, what's yours?

I don't remember IBM unleashing hordes of lawyers to hound the clone makers.
Both sides of the story have merit.  But with apple's stance, I stand by
the above statement.

Opinion?  I don't think macs will ever reach their full potential until
apple allows a second source for the hardware.