[comp.sys.mac] Using an HP Laserjet on a Mac

ts@author.ecn.purdue.edu (Thomas Ruschak) (06/29/90)

     A friend want to use an HP Laserjet with his Mac SE. Is this possible? If
so, what sort of cabling/programs/hardware would be needed? All responses will
be much appreciated, especially if they are quick!

                                Thomas Ruschak
                                pur-ee!pc!ts

"Not a classic, but good violent humor where little children
 get punched out by Secret Service agents.  My type of film."

                                        --- Moriarty

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (06/30/90)

Thomas,

Yes...any one of the HP LaserJet series can be used on a Mac.  You'll either
need to use a HP or third party (GDT Softworks or Insight Development)
peripheral or driver software.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (John Starta) (07/01/90)

In article <1990Jun28.201830.17529@ecn.purdue.edu> ts@author.ecn.purdue.edu
(Thomas Ruschak) writes:

> A friend want to use an HP Laserjet with his Mac SE. Is this possible?
> If so, what sort of cabling/programs/hardware would be needed?

Yes, it is possible. Your friend has two choices for driver software: the
MacPrint driver (can't find the publisher name right now, sorry) or the JetLink
Express driver (GDT Softworks).

Both drivers work with the HP LaserJet and come with the appropriate serial
cabling, so it is a matter of which you like best. MacUser did a review of the
two earlier this year, so you might check back uses to see which came out the
"winner".

John

PATH: 1012/90

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!15.90!John.Starta
Internet: John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

RSBONDI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Richard S. Bondi) (07/02/90)

In article <21567.268D405F@stjhmc.fidonet.org>, John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (John Starta) writes:

>In article <1990Jun28.201830.17529@ecn.purdue.edu> ts@author.ecn.purdue.edu
>(Thomas Ruschak) writes:
>
>> A friend want to use an HP Laserjet with his Mac SE. Is this possible?
>> If so, what sort of cabling/programs/hardware would be needed?
>
>Yes, it is possible. Your friend has two choices for driver software: the
>MacPrint driver (can't find the publisher name right now, sorry) or the JetLink
>Express driver (GDT Softworks).
>
>Both drivers work with the HP LaserJet and come with the appropriate serial
>cabling, so it is a matter of which you like best. MacUser did a review of the
Mac Print does NOT work with the HP Laserjet, only with the
HP Laserjet+ and later Laserwriters; I found this out the hard way.
JetLink Express also has a catch-22.  If you want to use their
much touted outline fonts for Laserquality, Laserwriterlike fonts
on your HP, realize now that you can only print about 5 1/2 lines
of text using them:  the HP Laserjet doesn't have memory for more
than that.  In other words, those fonts are only useful on an
HP Laserjet+ (512K memory, I think) or above.  Apart from that,
if you are willing to print only in Courier, JetLink Express is
works fine.  (Any other fonts come out as if they were printed
on an imagewriter, and not all lines of text will be printed on
one page due to lack of printer memory.)