[comp.sys.mac] PostScript

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (09/16/87)

Is it possible for me to generate postscript output on my SE at home, and then
upload the postscript file to our PrintServer40s via modem?  How can I force
postscript creation in SuperPaint?  I tried usinf ctrl-F, but since there was
no laserwriter attached, it just aborted.  Maybe there's some other way?

jas
jasper@cisunx.UUCP
jasper@pittvms.bitnet

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (05/19/89)

In article <78161@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.UUCP (Fred Hollander) writes:
>In article <4067@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>>In article <1788@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman@endor.UUCP (benjamin Waldman) writes:
>>Well, I think Adobe is finally in deep yogurt anyway, given that Bitstream
>>claims to have "cracked" the Adobe font encryption scheme.  I can see
>>PostScript processors going the way of the IBM BIOS real soon now ...
>First of all, that is extremely cruel and unfair to compare a
>Postscript processor to an IBM BIOS.  If Bitstream has "cracked"
>Adobe's font encryption scheme, then, wouldn't it stand to reason that
>they are planning to use Postscript fonts?  Also, there are other
>capabilies (understatement) of Postscript besides printing outline
>fonts.  Even just considering text, the first relase of Apple's
>outline fonts will not support non-uniform scaling, rotated text or
>text on a curve.  I agree that this is not good new (another
>understatement) for Adobe, but, I also don't see Postscript printers
>becoming obsolete immediately upon the release of System 7.0.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the "cracking"
of the font encryption scheme removed the final obstacle to PS clones.
Yes, there are other capabilities of PS besides outline fonts, and they
obviously plan to use PS fonts.  However, until the encryption scheme was
broken, PS-language clones could do everything PS does *except* use
downloadable postscript fonts (since they are encrypted).  Bitstream then
opens the door for companies to use and develop PS clones which then should
bring the licensing fee back down.  The Jasmine printer is a good example
of a printer that uses a PS language clone to avoid paying through the nose
for PS itself.
So, yes, I do think PS will go the way of the IBM BIOS pretty soon.  Of
course, Adobe could still survive by making the licensing fee more
reasonable (but still slightly more expensive than the clones) and upgrading
the language's capabilities more often, thus keeping the clones playing
a catch-up game.

>Fred Hollander

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde

	"An MIT computer man got drunk one fateful night
	He opened up the console and smashed everything in sight.
	When they finally subdued him, the judge he stood before,
	Said, "Lock him up for twenty years, he's rotten to the core!""
		-The MIT Engineers' Drinking Song (I know, this one was
			a bad joke)

EMail: captkidd@athena.mit.edu
USnail: 407 Memorial Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 621-0312

cookson@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Dean Cookson) (10/10/89)

Can anybody out there tell me where I can get a program to view post-
script files on my screen instead of printing them.

Thanx,
Dean

* Dean Cookson					Cookson@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu*
* Case Western Reserve University		Ha-Ho, I am Vector Man!       *
* Physics Department				Champion of all Physics       *
* Cleveland, Oh 44106				Equations!!                   *

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/10/89)

There is a program called LaserView that does what you want; the
publisher's name escapes me, but I think the program is available from
MacConnection.

Two caveats:

1) The software is intended as a programming environment for Postscript,
not as a casual viewing utility.  It is probably quite expensive and
would have a lot of things you might not need (like an integrated text
editor).

2) The Mac must be connected to a LaserWriter (via AppleTalk) for
LaserView to work.  It uses the PS interpreter in the printer to do the
actual imaging, then sends the bitmaps back to the Mac for viewing.

(side note: Adobe Illustrator does a pretty good job of rendering
PostScript files -- you might try opening your file in Illustrator and
seeing what happens.)

Beyond that, your best bet is to buy a NeXT. :->

yours,
-mike

disclaimer: all i know about Posecrypt is how to spell it.

arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) (10/10/89)

In article <789@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> cookson@shasta.scl.cwru.edu () writes:
>Can anybody out there tell me where I can get a program to view post-
>script files on my screen instead of printing them.
>
>Thanx,
>Dean

Try Lasertalk from Emaerald City Software ($159 from Macconnection). It is
a very useful Postscript development utility.

Mike Arons
City College of New York

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/10/89)

In article <789@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> cookson@shasta.scl.cwru.edu () writes:
>Can anybody out there tell me where I can get a program to view post-
>script files on my screen instead of printing them.

Sure.  You can either get a NeXT or other computer which uses a
Display Postscript imaging system (about $6500 at an educational
institution near you), or get LaserTalk, a program from Emerald
City, which will do what you want.  With the latter, you will also
need to have a PostScript printer on-line (LaserTalk sends the
Postscript code to the printer ROM to be interpreted, then retrieves
the image and zaps it to your monitor screen).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

jackd@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (10/10/89)

>>Can anybody out there tell me where I can get a program to view post-
>>script files on my screen instead of printing them.
>
>Sure.  You can either get a NeXT or other computer which uses a
>Display Postscript imaging system (about $6500 at an educational
>institution near you), or get LaserTalk, a program from Emerald
>City, which will do what you want.

No, I made the mistake of getting LaserTalk to view and paste EPS files.  Don't
do it.  LaserTalk is much better suited for developing PS programs rather than
simply displaying and working with EPS files in the Mac environment.

Instead, check out Emerald City's Smart Art program.  Like LaserTalk, it
requires a LaserWriter and a little fiddling with the EPS file, but it does
produce an image you can see on the screen as well as paste into Word,
PowerPoint, FreeHand, PageMaker, etc.  Not only is it easier to use than
LaserTalk, it is also much cheaper <$90 street price.

I am a very happy user of Smart Art.  Feel free to contact me if you have any
further questions.

jack decker
Tektronix
Beaverton, OR

johan@dutnak2.UUCP (10/11/89)

In article <364@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> jackd@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) writes:
>>>Can anybody out there tell me where I can get a program to view post-
>>>script files on my screen instead of printing them.

Jack Decker replies:

>No, I made the mistake of getting LaserTalk to view and paste EPS files.  Don't
>do it.  LaserTalk is much better suited for developing PS programs rather than
>simply displaying and working with EPS files in the Mac environment.
>
>Instead, check out Emerald City's Smart Art program.  Like LaserTalk, it
>requires a LaserWriter and a little fiddling with the EPS file, but it does
>produce an image you can see on the screen as well as paste into Word,
>PowerPoint, FreeHand, PageMaker, etc.  Not only is it easier to use than
>LaserTalk, it is also much cheaper <$90 street price.

On our UNIX machine we have a graphics package that is able to generate
EPSF files. The EPSF files, however, have no associated screen preview.
If imported in e.g. PowerPoint, they only show a bounding box.

I know that the screen preview is a bitmap that should reside in a PICT
resource of the EPSF file. Is Smart Art capable of generating such an
EPSF file with PICT resource? If so, could you explain how cumbersome
the procedure is?

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

jackd@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (10/11/89)

In article <937@dutrun.UUCP> johan@dutnak2.UUCP (Johan de Haas) writes:

>On our UNIX machine we have a graphics package that is able to generate
>EPSF files. The EPSF files, however, have no associated screen preview.
>If imported in e.g. PowerPoint, they only show a bounding box.
>
>I know that the screen preview is a bitmap that should reside in a PICT
>resource of the EPSF file. Is Smart Art capable of generating such an
>EPSF file with PICT resource? If so, could you explain how cumbersome
>the procedure is?

All you should have to do is remove the "Show Page" command from the end of your
EPSF file, open the file up with Smart Art (a DA), and then click the Reimage
command.  Smart Art then sends the file out to your LW and after a few minutes
of processing (about the time it takes to print) it returns a bitmap image
of your file.  Once the file has been saved, you can then import the file into
PageMaker, PowerPoint, ect. and you will see a screen preview rather than just a
bounding box.  When you print, of course, the underlying PostScript is used, not
the bitmap image.

Hope this helps.

jack decker
Tektronix
Beaverton, OR

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (10/12/89)

 >..., check out Emerald City's Smart Art program.  Like LaserTalk, it
 >requires a LaserWriter and a little fiddling with the EPS file, but it does
 >produce an image you can see on the screen as well as paste ...

Are there any ways to view a post script file on a freestanding mac?

jackd@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (10/12/89)

In article <28027@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@lanai.UUCP (Margot Flowers) writes:

> >..., check out Emerald City's Smart Art program.  Like LaserTalk, it
> >requires a LaserWriter and a little fiddling with the EPS file, but it does
> >produce an image you can see on the screen as well as paste ...
>
>Are there any ways to view a post script file on a freestanding mac?i

Definitely.  If your PostScript file has a bit map drawing associated with it
(Illustrater or Freehand files, for example) you can get a preview of the image
in Word, PageMaker, Xpress and many other types of documents.  If your PS file
was generated by a non-Mac program, however, Smart Art is the only way I know of
to generate the preview image.  Although it requires a LaserWriter initially,
once the bitmap has been generated from the PS file, a "freestanding" Mac will
display the preview image instead of an empty bounding box (or hundreds of lines
of text in Word).

Pretty neat feature of Smart Art and totally undocumented.  (The program is
marketed as a special effects generator.)

jack decker
Tektronix
Beaverton, OR

cbm@well.UUCP (Chris Muir) (10/14/89)

As there has been a lot of discussion about viewing PostScript on a Mac
screen I thought that people might want to see this, from AppleLink:

INTERACTIVE POSTSCRIPT( PREVIEWER FOR MACINTOSH SYSTEMS NOW SHIPPING

West Orange, NJ, October, 1989--PS VIEW*, an interactive PostScript
compatible previewer developed by Pipeline Associates, Inc. is now shipping.
PS VIEW is a full implementation of the PostScript language and can run
either as a screen previewer or a memory device.  Key features of the previewer
are:

   %J The ability to specify at startup time the device resolution from
      10 to 600 dpi,the amount of memory to allocate to PostScript's VM, and
        the maximum number of path elements.
   %  The ability to interactively enter, edit, and execute PostScript code.
      Also, the ability to open and edit up to six different PostScript files
        and to execute any selected code with a single command.
   %  The ability to run any PostScript file.
   %  Identification of PostScript errors by file name and line number.
   %  Built-in support for NimbusQ, Alphatype, and Type 3 fonts.  Thirteen
      URW fonts (LaserWriter compatible) are supplied in NimbusQ
        format.  This is a hinted format developed by The Company and
        produces exceptional results at screen resolutions.  Over 1,000
        fonts are also available in outline form.
   %  The ability to save the output page in either binary, TIFF, or
      PICT formats.  This gives the ability to convert any PostScript file
        to PICT or TIFF.  For example, Illustrator files can
        now be further processed by paint packages to add special effects.
   %  The ability to resize and scroll the output page window and to
      view the entire output page at once.

PS VIEW* requires 2 MB or more of memory and runs on a MAC PLUS/SE/II
under System 6.0 and later.

PS VIEW is based on PS CLONE*, a PostScript compatible interpreter developed
by Pipeline Associates, Inc.  Pipeline Associates, Inc. is the
publisher of the PostScript Language Journal and has been active in
the PostScript area since 1985.

For more information on PS CLONE, contact Jordan Glogau at Pipeline Associates,
Inc. 239 Main Street, W. Orange, NJ 07052, (201) 731-7860 FAX: (201) 736-0732.
Contact: Josh Allen
         ImageSoft, Inc.
         2 Haven Avenue
         Port Washington, NY 11050
         (800) 245-8840
         Applelink: D2860

Chris Muir                             |   "There is no language in our lungs
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}          |    to tell the world just how we feel"
!well!cbm                              |                         - A. Partridge

derosa@cell.mot.COM (John DeRosa) (02/27/90)

Is there an application that will open postscript files?

I.E. take the postscript output of one document and
capture it in a file (command-f during printing) and
have another program be able to open (and edit) the
file?

The point of all this is to allow incompatible programs
to exchange information.  Cut and Paste just won't do in
the example I am thinking off.

Please post responses to:
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

davidl@leonardo.intel.com (David D. Levine) (02/28/90)

> Is there an application that will open postscript files?
> I.E. take the postscript output of one document and
> capture it in a file (command-f during printing) and
> have another program be able to open (and edit) the
> file?

This is a request that comes up a LOT, and it raises a question in my mind.

I don't believe that an application that can read PostScript and let you
edit the result graphically exists OR EVER WILL EXIST in any truly useful
form.  The problem is that PostScript is a page-description language, not a
graphics-document-description language.  A PostScript program describes
what the page looks like when output, NOT its structure or meaning.

Deriving a useful graphically-editable document from a PostScript program is
about as hard as decompiling machine code to well-written source code in a
high-level language with mnemonic variable and function names and lots of
appropriate, pithy comments.  Which is to say that it might be possible,
but would take a certain amount of AI.

The question is: am I full of it?  If I am, why hasn't someone written this
program?  There are big bucks to be made!

- David D. Levine, Intel IMSO Tech Pubs
  davidl@leonardo.intel.com
  "But that trick never works!"

bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert smith) (07/04/90)

I have a diagram that I have made in Adobe Illustrator. It really is
quite lovely with all the colors and every thing.  I want to send it to
our slide maker here which will only accept PICT files.  Is there a way
to convert an Illustrator file to PICT format and not lose a good deal
of resolution (say 300 dpi)?

I thank anyone for any help that they can provide.

Please respond via e-mail.  But don't let me stop anyone from sending a
followup article to the news group if anyone else would like to know the
answer to this question.

Thank you once again.

--albert smith, bowler@athena.mit.edu
--