[comp.sys.mac] Using a non-postscript printer with the Macintosh

spee@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) (07/04/90)

Is it possible to use a non-postscript printer with Macintosh. I know
GCC makes QuickDraw compatible laser printer(s). I was thinking of
a HP laser printers or something like that. How about replacing the
'LaserWriter' file in the system folder.

Thanks, Paul Spee

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (07/04/90)

spee@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) writes:

>Is it possible to use a non-postscript printer with Macintosh. I know
>GCC makes QuickDraw compatible laser printer(s). I was thinking of
>a HP laser printers or something like that. How about replacing the
>'LaserWriter' file in the system folder.

The Grappler LQ is a box that can be put in the printer port to achieve
this, i.e., printing on Epson LQ, Nec P, Toshiba matrix printers and HP
(compatible) laser printers and HP Deskjet.

See info-mac/report/grappler-lq.txt on sumex-aim.stanford.edu for anonymous
ftp.

Sorry, no personal experience with this thing.
					Kees
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685