[comp.sys.mac] Gif files

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (03/03/88)

Just downloaded Giffer, (finally) and it looks pretty neat.  May even
keep it.  In either case, does *anyone* have any 640x480 256 color
images?  All I have been able to find so far have been 320x200.  I
don't have a CompuServe account so...

						-Sho

SonicYouthREMBeatlesKateBushReplacementsResidentsHuskerDuSeveredHeadsArtOfNoise
ChrisAndCoseyJoyDivisionKillingJokeLaurieAndersonWireLouReedSkinnyPuppyBrianEno

 (sho@tybalt.caltech.edu, sho@caltech.bitnet, ...!cit-vax!tybalt!sho)

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (04/04/88)

Can anyone possibly send me any graphics files they may have in the GIF
format (I already have the files from sumex and the one posted on
comp.binaries.mac --- any others will be greatly appreciated)?  Im
trying to impress my boss with the ability to store and manipulate 256
color, MacII graphics files.  Someone suggested trying CompuServe but I
dont have access to it (neither does anyone else that I know).  If you
can help out, please send me the files (dont post them --- dont want the
networked mad at me).  The files can be of anything or anyone.  I would
rather have too many than not enough, so send all you have.

Thanks in advance,
Mike McCann

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (04/05/88)

In article <1292@hubcap.UUCP>, mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) writes:
> Can anyone possibly send me any graphics files they may have in the GIF
> format (I already have the files from sumex and the one posted on
> comp.binaries.mac --- any others will be greatly appreciated)?  Im
> trying to impress my boss with the ability to store and manipulate 256
> color, MacII graphics files.  Someone suggested trying CompuServe but I
> dont have access to it (neither does anyone else that I know).

I do, and I doubt I'll be doing any more transfers from there in the
near future.  The download speed is too slow (we're talking something
like 50% of full-speed (be it 300, 1200, or 2400).  I spent over an hour
pulling down 2 256-color shots and a few 16-color shots.)  There's got to
be a cheaper way to do this.  I've never been too impressed with Compuserve,
and this doesn't boost my opinion of them, either.

There is, however, a *public domain* program out called Image (now ~ v. 0.62)
that is nothing short of INCREDIBLE in what it can do with images.  There's
a small fix to be able to work with GIF files (gotta convert 'em to a PICT
file and then ResEdit in the CLUT--with help of the Klutz DA), but once there
there's zooming, touching up, ...  So much power that I could not give it
the justice it merits in a simple post.  (Not that my personal babbling about
it is much better... :-)

I'll post it up to the net ASAP.  It takes quite a bit of memory (it likes
abount 1500K) but will run in less. (Some features will be disabled, like
the 300K clipboard...)

Oh, by the way, I'll send you a few GIFs that I have...

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike McCann

As they say in Jamaica, "No problem, man."

					--chris

zickus@udel.EDU (Tim Zickus) (04/06/88)

Speaking of GIF files, I've never been able to dig up some software to
satisfactorially display them on my SE.

Does such an animal exist?

............................... "And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
:  Tim Zickus  zickus@udel.edu :  people driving home from the factories
:   University of DelaWHERE??  :  there's six lanes of traffic
:..............................:  three lanes moving slow..."  - Dire Straits

resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (07/07/90)

Hi there,

    I have some wonderful gif files on our unix machine.  I wonder if there
are simple ways to transfer them to the mac format so that I can display them
on my mac.

    Thanks in advance.

Yun-cheng Ju

resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (07/10/90)