[comp.sys.mac] hard disk problems

fink@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jerry Fink - MACC & School of Nursing) (07/28/88)

A few days ago I requested help with a Mac SE that had a 20 mb
hard disk but one day the Mac refused to recognize the hard disk.
i.e no hard disk icon and could only be booted up with a system disk.
The problem: Someone had taken the serial cable which had been hooked
from the telephone hookup and puuled the other end out of the wall
port line and hooked it up to the external disk connector on the back
of the Mac. After the connections were corrected everything worked fine.

             thanks for all the help

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (07/10/90)

"From: u600288@lanl.gov (Geoff Walsh)
"Subject: Hard disk died (I think) - HELP!!!!!!!!!
"
"I think I have a hard disk problem, but I would like to find out if
"anyone else has had a similar problem before I turn my old hard disk
"into a door stop (backups???  hard disks NEVER go bad!).

[deleted all descriptions of weird behavior]

Your symptoms parallel mine. The last two times I noticed it was during
high humidity. I have the same disk (80MB Quantum, er Apple). Since mine is
one of the early ones, I figure it is freezing up when the lubricant absorbs
too much moisture. I just didn't expect to have it happen while it was
up and running.

As soon as I take it to the dealer, it runs fine (in his air-conditioned
shop). It also starts up fine the next day. I've asked for a replacement
(sometimes AppleCare is worth it, especially since it was half price).

Shirley Kehr