[comp.sys.mac] CD ROM Drives - Help

espen@well.sf.ca.us (Peter Espen) (07/09/90)

	Could anyone who's has had any experience with:

		NEC CDR 3501 Portable CD ROM Drive
			or
		CD Technologies - Toshiba Portable CD ROM Drive
			or
		Maya Computer CD ROM mail order company in
		Waitsfeld, Vermont

	please e-mail me with your experiences, good or bad?

	Thanks!
	espen@well

a427@mindlink.UUCP (Ian Upright) (07/10/90)

>Message : #729120    From: espen@well.sf.ca.us
>Subject : CD ROM Drives - Help
>Msg-ID: <18915@well.sf.ca.us>
>Person: Peter Espen
>
> Could anyone who's has had any experience with:
>  NEC CDR 3501 Portable CD ROM Drive
>                       or
>                CD Technologies - Toshiba Portable CD ROM Drive
>                      or
>              Maya Computer CD ROM mail order company in
>              Waitsfeld, Vermont
>
>      please e-mail me with your experiences, good or bad?
>
>      Thanks!
>      espen@well

Well Peter, I bought the NEC CDR-35 Portable CD drive about two months ago and
was a bit dissapointed. Upon opening the box, hooking it all up to my IIcx
(without the help of the very poor manual), and playing with it for a while, I
finally figured out that the Apple CD-ROM software wouldnUt work. I promptly
called the NEC office number (on the East Coast, IUm on the West Coast) to find
out that I needed to call my local NEC distributor. But first, I looked in the
distributorUs price book. Nowhere, did it specify that you need to buy the
driver for it. When I called, I was passed on to a few people and finally got
someone who knew something. We talked and he told me that ROh yeah, you need
the driver. It costs another $175.S Even though I think buying a product and
then having to pay extra to get it to work is not very fair. (ItUs like buying
a car and then being told that you need to buy the keys at a third of the carUs
price) So, not really having another choice,  I said, OK IUll order it. When I
recieved the software I finally used it and was pleased because it worked fine
but there were a few quirks:

1:      The SCSI address # cannot be changed.
2:      To take a disk out, you have to shut the drive off and wait for the
disk to                     stop spinning. Then you can take it out, but you
have to reboot to use                      another disk.
3:      Audio disks are very quiet when played.
There were a few good points though:

1.      Small and portable.
2.      Can use audio disks.
3.      Has two SCSI ports, not just one, so itUs not an Tend of the line
device, but haven't tried it with other SCSI's hooked up..

ItUs generally a good drive, but I now realize that I should have waited for a
better drive to come out.
Anyways L8ter.
Ian Upright

wtcx@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tom Clodfelter) (07/10/90)

Don't buy the NEC CDR 35 portable CD ROM drive.  It expects to be the only
thing on the SCSI bus.  I sent mine back and bought the Apple CDSC drive.
I am very happy with the APple drive.

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (07/11/90)

In article <10521@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> wtcx@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Tom Clodfelter) writes:

>Don't buy the NEC CDR 35 portable CD ROM drive.  It expects to be the only
>thing on the SCSI bus.  I sent mine back and bought the Apple CDSC drive.
>I am very happy with the APple drive

I must agree that the Apple CD ROM drive is very nice. Do you know if can be
used with a PC? This would appear to be one advantage of the NEC.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
[my opinions]
philip@utstat.toronto.edu