[comp.sys.mac] Query: Want to dial up my mac from another mac?

myoung@joker.sgi.com (Mark Young) (07/10/90)

I was wondering if anyone could give my any information on software
available for the mac that would allow me to leave my mac at work in
server mode when I go home at night so that I could dial it up and
transfer files back and forth.

	...myoung@joker.asd.sgi.com

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (07/11/90)

In article <10152@odin.corp.sgi.com> myoung@joker.sgi.com (Mark Young) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone could give my any information on software
>available for the mac that would allow me to leave my mac at work in
>server mode when I go home at night so that I could dial it up and
>transfer files back and forth.

We just received the latest version of WhiteKnight (was RedRyder) and it
came with a new program from Scott Watson called "Okyto" (the name is
some permutation of Tokyo for some obscure reason).  This is JUST what
you want!  Before you leave at night, you set your Mac up to "accept a
connection", then go home and dial.  It has all kinds of protection to
keep "others" from doing the same.  A neat tool that does no fancy stuff
(no terminal emulation, etc) but just moving files from mac to mac.

I think Okyto is being offered for $39.95 from FreeSoft:
  FreeSoft
  150 Hickory Dr.
  Beaver Falls, PA 15010
  (412) 846-2700

LEGAL note: the application you describe would require you buy TWO
copies of Okyto, one to run on each machine.  Talk to the FreeSoft
people and see what kind of "quantity" deal they can offer.

vita@oxford.dab.ge.com (Mark Vita) (07/11/90)

In article <10152@odin.corp.sgi.com> myoung@joker.sgi.com (Mark Young) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone could give my any information on software
>available for the mac that would allow me to leave my mac at work in
>server mode when I go home at night so that I could dial it up and
>transfer files back and forth.

Scott Watson's Okyto program will allow you to do this.  (He gives
this program away for free when you purchase [or upgrade to] White
Knight.)  Okyto is a multichannel file transfer program similar to the
shareware programs MCS and MultiXfer; it lets you transfer files
between two Macs over a modem link.  The file transfers occur
simultaneously in both directions; there's also a "chat" channel that
lets the two users type messages to each other while the transfer is
in progress.  Okyto also has a mode where you can leave one Mac in a
unattended "server" state; the remote Mac can call up the server Mac,
browse through its directories in a SFGetFile-like manner, and
retrieve files.

You can probably also do this using Timbuktu Remote.  It's more
expensive, but you also get the screen-sharing capabilities of
Timbuktu...

--
Mark Vita                                  vita@sunny.dab.ge.com
Advanced Engineering

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (07/11/90)

 A Great program called Carbon Copy Mac from Microcomm you would find useful.
It provides the same functions as Timbuktu, but it has a nicer interface,
and seems more reliable. I have used both Timbuktu and Carbon Copy.

  Carbon Copy provides for access to your Mac from AppleTalk, or from the modem.On the screen of the macintosh you are controlling from, the remote Mac's screen comes up in a seperate window. This is an advantage over Timbuktu, in that it allows you to do something on your local Mac, while remaining in control of the remote Mac. It also provides for file transfers. Over AppleTalk, this is great, as all tranfers are done in the background, and the Mac you are copying to/from, does not slow down much. Over m

odem, this may be a pest though, but I have not tried it yet.

Christopher Albone
CarSup / UCS
University of Sydney, Australia

roskar@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Veljko Roskar) (07/11/90)

MultiXfer (available at the sumex archives) should do it.  Or you can shell
out for Carbon Copy or Timbuktu.

Best regards,

Veljko Roskar                        BITNET:  roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
Department of Chemical Engineering INTERNET:  roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu
   The Johns Hopkins University        UUCP:  uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!roskar
     Baltimore, Maryland 21218        VOICE:  301-338-7054
	      U.S.A