[comp.sys.mac] Startup Screen

dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) (03/07/90)

     When I use various programs to save an image as a StartupScreen,
the colormap seems to be altered.  I may be wrong, but it looks as if
8 bit pictures are being stripped to 4 bits?  I am doing this on a Mac
IIci with the standard 13" Apple color display.  How can I fix this?

     Another question which I had is how can you directly change a
pict file to a StartupScreen?  Can this be done with ResEdit?

     I don't always keep up with the traffic in this group, so I would
appreciate it if people would mail me any answers to these questions.
I will of course summarize and post if there is any interest.

Thanks in advance,

--
       David Resnick                           dresnick@athena.mit.edu

resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (07/12/90)

Hi:

    Thanks for all of you for telling me how to download gif files to my Mac.
I have a new problem now.  I'd like to save a gif picture as the startup
screen.  I saved the file as a PICT=0 file in giffer1.06.  It did come up as
a startup screen but the color is messed up.  It looked more like a 4-bit color
gif files instead of a 8-bit file.  Isn't it strange?  I checked the
StartupScreen file with giffer but it was fine.

    Any ideas?

Yun-cheng

[note the Followup line]
In article <13500017@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi:
>
>    Thanks for all of you for telling me how to download gif files to my Mac.
>I have a new problem now.  I'd like to save a gif picture as the startup
>screen.  I saved the file as a PICT=0 file in giffer1.06.  It did come up as
>a startup screen but the color is messed up.  It looked more like a 4-bit color
>gif files instead of a 8-bit file.  Isn't it strange?  I checked the
>StartupScreen file with giffer but it was fine.
>
>    Any ideas?

This one comes up quite often.  Your problem is that the default color table
is used at startup, and not the color table for the picture.  There are, I
believe, INITs that will load in the correct CLUT-- I don't know the names
offhand, but someone on the net should know...
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!