[comp.sys.mac] MacTools Deluxe Backup--WARNING!

pool@milton.u.washington.edu (Jonathan Pool) (07/05/90)

Central Point Software's new MacTools Deluxe contains a Backup program
that has a bug that could cause you to lose data.  The program lets you
save lists of folders to be backed up, in files called "setups".  The
setups, when opened, are intended to cause the folders to be selected
automatically.  The trouble is, THE CORRECT FOLDERS ARE NOT NECESSARILY
SELECTED.  What is actually selected is, for each folder that was
originally marked, the FIRST folder in the volume's directory tree with
the same name.  And, in that folder, only the files (if any) with the
same names as the files that were in the originally selected folder.
Suppose you have 2 folders called "Chem 101" and "Chem 102", and in each
of these you have 2 more folders called "Tests" and "Grades".  Suppose
you select "Chem 102" and its subsidiary folders (using Shift-Click) and
save this selection in a "setup".  When you try to back up your Chem 102
files by opening that setup, you will actually be backing up only Chem 101
files, specifically any files in Chem 101/Tests that have the same names
as files in Chem 102/Tests, and similarly for /Grades.  If you were to
fail to notice that the wrong folders had been selected, and you deleted
the Chem 102 files from your volume in reliance on the backup files as an
archive, you would permanently lose your Chem 102 files.

CPS says neither in-house testing nor extensive beta-testing discovered
this bug.  CPS says it has now reproduced the bug and says it will explore
with the 3rd-party developer of this product what to do.  I have not
received yet any promise that the bug will be fixed or that purchasers of
the product will be notified of the bug by CPS.  I intend, personally, to
inform CPS (if it comes to that) that this bug violates the product
warranty (which, to CPS's credit, actually promises that the software will
work) and I want it fixed under the warranty.  If other owners of the
product do the same, it can only help.  CPS's customer assistance people
seem sympathetic, knowledgeable, and somewhat frustrated with the support
they don't always get from the back office.

nagel@wintermute.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (07/05/90)

pool@milton.u.washington.edu (Jonathan Pool) writes:

>Central Point Software's new MacTools Deluxe contains a Backup program
>that has a bug that could cause you to lose data.

Waitasec -- go back a step.  Has this actually been released?  I
ordered this some large number of months ago and haven't received
anything yet...
--
Mark Nagel
UC Irvine Department of ICS   +----------------------------------------+

pool@milton.u.washington.edu (Jonathan Pool) (07/05/90)

Yes, MacTools Deluxe has been released and (at least to me and a few
other posters) shipped--of course, with a letter that says how much
we should appreciate the extra testing they did during all that time
we were waiting.

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (07/07/90)

In article <26925193.2402@ics.uci.edu>
   nagel@wintermute.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
>Waitasec -- go back a step.  Has this actually been released?  I
>ordered this some large number of months ago and haven't received
>anything yet...

I received my (free) upgrade kit a couple of days ago. Like you, I had
more or less given up ...

In the mean time, I bought DiskFit, and that's what I use for backup
now.
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (07/10/90)

Today, Ronald Buttiglieri <ron_b@apollo.com> sent me:

> Lars, why did you say 'free'? I thought it was a $15 upgrade fee. Are they
> waiving the fee due to the 4 month delay?? Do tell!

I mailed in the $15 upgrade fee way back; when they got stuck in quality
assurance, they refunded my $15 and apologized for having cashed the
check before thay had shippable product, and promised a free copy of the
product as a way to make amends. I thought that was very classy, but
seemed a little suicidal. So yes, I got a free upgrade.

In the mean time, as I said, I have bought Disk Express (the old
version) and DiskFit, so I may not ever use MacTools. (Unless, of
course, my hard disk dies ... touch wood!).
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

twatson@pbs.org (Thom Watson) (07/14/90)

In article <26925193.2402@ics.uci.edu>, nagel@wintermute.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
[about Central Point Software's new MacTools Deluxe]

> Waitasec -- go back a step.  Has this actually been released?  I
> ordered this some large number of months ago and haven't received
> anything yet...

I got my copy yesterday... only three days *after* I got a card from Central
Point asking me to evaluate the copy I should have already received, and
telling me they "hope [I've] already had the opportunity to experience the
dozens of enhancements... packed into this new package."
--
Public Broadcasting Service     \ ...{uupsi,vrdhxq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!twatson