[comp.sys.mac] MacPassword

nevius@amc.UUCP (John Nevius) (03/30/89)

A shareware password protection utility was recently posted to
comp.binaries.mac, after installing it successfully and playing with it
some, I'm left a little puzzled about protecting files on my Mac.

My investigations showed me that all someone has to have to defeat this
"protection" program is a copy of DiskTop (substitute your favorite Finder
enhancement program here), it is then quite trivial to copy a "protected" file
onto floppies, TOPS networks, external HD's, etc, etc..

Is this program representative of the state-of-the-state, am I missing something
here?  How does this utility qualify as a "protection" program?

Thanks,

John Nevius
.../tikal/amc/nevius

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (04/01/89)

In article <919@amc.UUCP> nevius@amc.UUCP (John Nevius) writes:
  | A shareware password protection utility was recently posted to
  | comp.binaries.mac, after installing it successfully and playing with it
  | some, I'm left a little puzzled about protecting files on my Mac.

  | My investigations showed me that all someone has to have to defeat this
  | "protection" program is a copy of DiskTop (substitute your favorite Finder
  | enhancement program here), it is then quite trivial to copy a "protected"
  | file onto floppies, TOPS networks, external HD's, etc, etc..

  | Is this program representative of the state-of-the-state, am I missing
  | something here?  How does this utility qualify as a "protection" program?

It's representative of all that is provided by Apple as "state-of-the-art".

MacPassword does not munge with directories or move boot blocks (requiring
key disks) or partition and encrypt (although it is possible that in the
future, the later will be provided.. I think it's on the suggestion
list for 3.1 or 3.2.. maybe).

Personally I have found that, even in the computer literate environment in
which I work, MacPassword (2.x) acts as an adaquate deterant to all, with the
exception of someone who is willing to sit down with resedit on a separate
boot disk and take the time (and greater risk of being caught) to try and
get files from my HD.

MacPassword Version 3.01 has just been released, and registered users are now
able to protect thier HD's with more elaborate protection (booting from
a floppy with resedit, or using disktop to try and copy files, will no
longer work).  Also provided are builtin virus protection, some frills like
Startup and Shutdown sounds, AppleShare like protection (instead of making
the folders invisible, they appear greyed out on the desktop), an easier to
use cdev interface etc etc.

If anyone has any specific suggestions or requirments that they would like
to see in MacPassword, send them to me and I'll make sure that they get to
Art (the author).

I will stuff together 3.01 in the next few days and send it off to Roger (the
binaries moderator) to post at his discretion, seeing that version 2.8 was
just posted.

  | Thanks,
  | John Nevius

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) (07/16/90)

Does anyone know where the MacPassword program is on the Sumex archives.  I remember getting a copy of a semi-demo from there and want to buy it, but I can't find it.

Pete

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/17/90)

In article <AacSRlO00WB3QCA0UN@andrew.cmu.edu> ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) writes:
> Does anyone know where the MacPassword program is on the Sumex
> archives. I remember getting a copy of a semi-demo from there and
> want to buy it, but I can't find it.

I guess it is in cdev. At least that is where we have it here in
nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100).

--
===== Harri Valkama   (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@flame.uwasa.fi, hv@nic.funet.fi) =======
| University of Vaasa, PO BOX 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465) |