[comp.sys.mac] Visual Bell

prism@chinet.chi.il.us (PRISM Interactive Products) (07/11/90)

Recently, my IIci started giving me a visual indication for the bell.  The
menu bar now blinks whenever the bell would normally sound.  Occasionally
it will revert to the old mode and I will have an audible bell, and then
when powering up at some later time it's magically a visual bell.  I prefer
the visual bell and was wondering what causes this and what I can do to
keep it this way.

					Thanks for any help,

					Bob Dyas
					PRISM Interactive Products

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (07/16/90)

prism@chinet.chi.il.us (PRISM Interactive Products) writes:

>Recently, my IIci started giving me a visual indication for the bell.  The
>menu bar now blinks whenever the bell would normally sound.  Occasionally
>it will revert to the old mode and I will have an audible bell, and then
>when powering up at some later time it's magically a visual bell.  I prefer
>the visual bell and was wondering what causes this and what I can do to
>keep it this way.
>

>					Thanks for any help,
>
>					Bob Dyas
>					PRISM Interactive Products

The thing which is most likely causing this, is you volume setting in the
Control Panel. When set to a value of 1-7 you hear an audible tone for beeps
with increasing levels of volume. However, if it is set to zero, the Mac
flashes the menu bar in order to get your attention.

If you are running SuperClock!, there is a command for the Alarm and the Chime
 settings that allow you to have the menu bar flash when the alarm goes off,
or when an hour mark is reached.

Hope these suggestions help you out, if not, please reply and I will think up
yet another solution.

Grant Erickson

._________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!granteri    |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil              |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                           |
| The right half of the brain controls the left half      |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people    |
| are in their right mind.                                |
!_________________________________________________________!

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul11.145033.1676@chinet.chi.il.us> prism@chinet.chi.il.us (PRISM Interactive Products) writes:
>Recently, my IIci started giving me a visual indication for the bell.  The
>menu bar now blinks whenever the bell would normally sound.  Occasionally
>it will revert to the old mode and I will have an audible bell, and then
>when powering up at some later time it's magically a visual bell.  I prefer
>the visual bell and was wondering what causes this and what I can do to
>keep it this way.

The menu bar flashes if the Mac can't play the sound for some reason, or if the
sound volume is set to zero.

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  CHRISTENSE1
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81BB    CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014          phone:      408-974-4369

  Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge.