[comp.sys.mac] Mac dial ups

jennerr@darwin.ntu.edu.au (07/14/90)

In article <10152@odin.corp.sgi.com>, myoung@joker.sgi.com (Mark Young) writes:

> I was wondering if anyone could give my any information on software
> available for the mac that would allow me to leave my mac at work in
> server mode when I go home at night so that I could dial it up and
> transfer files back and forth.
>
> 	...myoung@joker.asd.sgi.com

Sure can. There is a product called "Timbuktu Remote". I have used it for
similar purposes to that which you require. It is smooth although slow
as you are restricted to your modem speed (~9600).

Bob Jenner...Northern Territory University...Oz

JetBlack@cup.portal.com (Michael Garp Moore) (07/17/90)

In article <10152@odin.corp.sgi.com>, myoung@joker.sgi.com (Mark Young) writes

> I was wondering if anyone could give my any information on software
> available for the mac that would allow me to leave my mac at work in
> server mode when I go home at night so that I could dial it up and
> transfer files back and forth.

I've enjoyed using a product named "Carbon Copy Mac".  It has a swift
file transfer for networks or modems.  It runs in the background on the
Mac so that you can't forget to start it up and it uses a pleasant
"Font/DA Mover"ish kind of transfer interface.  It you can't find it
near you, mail me and I'll get you further details.

Michael Moore
jetblack@cup.portal.com