[comp.sys.mac] Floppies

jimc@haddock.ISC.COM (Jim Campbell) (04/01/88)

A friend of mine is interested in acquiring some 3.5-inch,
double-density, double-sided floppy disks for use on an Apple
Macintosh.   He wants them to be made in the USA by a U.S.-based
company, and with a life-time guarantee.

Scotch is the only brand he knows that corresponds to these
specifications.  Are there any other such companies?   Where can Scotch
or any other brand of these floppies be purchased, either through mail
order or in the Boston area?  Please e-mail responses.

Thanks in advanced --

			Jim Campbell
			Interactive Systems, Boston
			441 Stuart St. 7th Floor
			Boston, MA 02116
			617/247-1155

			ihnp4!     \
			harvard!    X----> ima!haddock!jimc
			mit-eddie! /

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (04/05/88)

Do NOT use Scotch (3M) floppies! In heavy use here (CMU) they've proven to be
unreliable, and in some cases have cause damage to floppy drives through nice
things such as media flaking off....

I don't know if Kodak is any good or if it's US made, but you might look into
them.

Why the fixation on US manufacture? I prefer Sony floppies, myself. Never had
any problem...

        -Rich

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (04/06/88)

In article <EWKCqVy00Xo=0CPN8H@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
>Do NOT use Scotch (3M) floppies! In heavy use here (CMU) they've proven to be
>I don't know if Kodak is any good or if it's US made, but you might look into
>Why the fixation on US manufacture? I prefer Sony floppies, myself. Never had
>any problem...

A friend (in the computer supply business) told me about a year ago that there
are only 3 manufacturers of the actual media for 3-1/2" floppies (they call
them the "cookies"); all of the outfits either buy the whole package and
remarket it, or buy the cookies and assemble the case around it.

Does anybody out there have a good lead on who makes what out there?
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (04/07/88)

Rich Seigel at CMU remarks that 3m disks cause ugly problems, I wanted to
second the motion and mention that I have used hundreds of Kodak disks
(puchased from a local copy shop, no less) for two years with only one
dud, detected during initialization.  Every other disk has performed
flawlessly for years.

Tom Cole
SAS Institute
mcnc|rti|sas|cole

I have no connection with Kodak or copy shops.  I wish I owned Kodak,
but that's another story...
   :::::

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (04/11/88)

In article <EWKCqVy00Xo=0CPN8H@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
>Do NOT use Scotch (3M) floppies!
>
>I don't know if Kodak is any good or if it's US made, but you might look into
>them.

You might also check out Nashua.  Again, I don't know if they are any good
or what sort of guarantee they have, but they are made in Nashua, New Hampshire
and are relatively cheap.

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Eric Behr) (04/11/88)

  From my experience, stay away from the cheapo OPUS stuff
sold by some discount places; the disk itself is OK, but
the plastic casing looks much more flimsy. I came across
one that made strange squeaking noises (and got quickly
dragged into trash on my *real* desktop, naturally).
                                                       Eric
 Please use   khayo@MATH.ucla.edu   instead of CS.ucla.edu

edw@pinot.zehntel.com (Ed Wright) (04/13/88)

i like the little square blue ones.

                                                   Reality is an

cantrell@Alliant.COM (Paul Cantrell) (04/22/88)

In article <2839@emory.uucp> phssra@emory.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) writes:

>You might also check out Nashua.  Again, I don't know if they are any good
>or what sort of guarantee they have, but they are made in Nashua, New Hampshire
>and are relatively cheap.
>
>*                                     Scott Robert Anderson

I would recomment against Nashua. A friend had quite a few and over a couple
of years almost EVERY ONE failed. Luckily, since he was using them for archive
by the time they failed, he didn't really want the data on most of them
anymore.

I have stuck exclusively with Sony and Maxell and have never had a failure.

					PC

getchell@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (David Getchell) (04/22/88)

In article <1640@alliant.Alliant.COM> cantrell@alliant.UUCP
           (Paul Cantrell) writes:

>I would recomment against Nashua. A friend had quite a few and over a couple
>of years almost EVERY ONE failed. Luckily, since he was using them for archive
>by the time they failed, he didn't really want the data on most of them
>anymore.
>
>I have stuck exclusively with Sony and Maxell and have never had a failure.
>
>					PC

Is this for true, Doc?  I own a couple boxes of each (Nashua, Maxell, and
Sony), and although I have had a couple Maxell's and Sony's die on me, I
have never had a Nashua fail.  On the other hand, my Nashua's are all less
than a year old, and the others are almost two.  Maybe disks just wear out
over time.  It sure would be nice if someone did some valid testing so that
we wouldn't have to rely on annecdotal evidence.

------------------------------
This is my *first* posting to the net, so I don't have a .signature yet.

So sue me.

My address is "getchell@ame.math.ariz.edu"

David Getchell

ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) (07/19/90)

Sorry guys...something went wrong....the whole message was not displayed

 The problem I am having is I can't connect a third floppy to the Mac SE/30.
 Can I connect three floppies to it...??? Any help will be greatly appreciated
 Thanks

 Ali!

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (07/20/90)

In article <11502@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:

> The problem I am having is I can't connect a third floppy to the Mac SE/30.
> Can I connect three floppies to it...??? Any help will be greatly appreciated
> Thanks
>
> Ali!

Apple has 2 types of 3.5" floppy drives: the Apple 3.5, and the Unidisk 3.5

Only 2 Apple 3.5 drives can be used in a system.  Any more drives must be
Unidisk 3.5 - also, the Apple 3.5 drives must be connected before the
any thing else connected to the SmartPort.

"We were wondering when somebody would discover that one."
	- The response of a customer support rep to a customer's phoned in
	  bug report (name of company with held to protect the guilty).

                                     iwblsys\
rlw@ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (07/20/90)

In article <11502@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
> The problem I am having is I can't connect a third floppy to the Mac SE/30.
> Can I connect three floppies to it...??? Any help will be greatly appreciated
> Thanks
>
> Ali!

No, you can't.  The SE/30 has the physical space inside the machine for 2
drives, and an external connector, but the logic board only has internal
connetions for 1 floppy.  The only mac (out now) that supports 3 floppy drives
is the SE.

I've had to give people back internal floppies on about half of the 4 or so
SE/30 upgrades I've done.  And that upgrade is a real beast!  I mean, the only
thing you don't take out is the slot cover on the back panel!  You remove the
internal brackets and toss them, take out the analog board/power supply,
remove the drive housing (and hope they have an internal hd so you don't have
to take that apart...), take out the monitor, and toss the front bezel.
Then you assemble the new bracket and put it all on a new bezel.  AUGH!
(When I say toss, I mean ship back to Apple.)

The cx/ci upgrade is simplicity compared to this!  And maintenance on one is
really easy--some WONDERFUL person/people put some thought into making service
of these things simple.  Ah, but then there were the plus and se...sigh...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!