[comp.sys.mac] Mac Floppies

ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) (07/19/90)

Hi! Need some help....

   I am trying to connect a third floppy drive to a Mac SE/30. I am trying to
   use the connector from the floppy which is already connected to it externally   ...but due to some reason it would not recognise it at all....What is going wrong and to start with can it handle more than two floppies....?? Please help!!

						 Thanks in advance
							 Ali!

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/19/90)

In article <11501@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
>   I am trying to connect a third floppy drive to a Mac SE/30. I am trying to
>   use the connector from the floppy which is already connected to it
>   externally   ...but due to some reason it would not recognise it at all....
>   What is going wrong and to start with can it handle more than two floppies??
>   Please help!!

I presume what you mean is that you are trying to daisy-chain a second
external drive onto the external drive connected to the SE/30.  Well, you
can't do that even though there's a connector on the drive.  It's set up
to handle only one internal and one external drive...

steve

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  CHRISTENSE1
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81-CS   CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014

  "You just contradicted me."  "No I didn't."

calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) (07/19/90)

In article <11501@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
>Hi! Need some help....
>
>   I am trying to connect a third floppy drive to a Mac SE/30. I am trying to
>   use the connector from the floppy which is already connected to it externally   ...but due to some reason it would not recognise it at all....What is going wrong and to start with can it handle more than two floppies....?? Please help!!

All Macs and Apple IIs are designed around the IWM (Integrated or Incredible
Woz Machine) and its direct descendent, the SIWM.  Both of these chips are
only designed to work with 2 floppy drives connected.  If you examine the
pin-out to your floppy port (nearly identical on the Apple IIs and Mac, not
too sure about the FDHD), to you'll find that one of the lines is a drive
select line.  This is what differentiates between the internal and external
or in the case of the IIGS, 2 external floppy drives.  There are 3rd party
solutions such as the Rapport that allows floppy drives to be hooked up
via the SCSI port but I think it's a really brain-damaged way of doing things.

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul19.043349.4506@agate.berkeley.edu>, calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) writes:
> In article <11501@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
> >Hi! Need some help....
> >
> >   I am trying to connect a third floppy drive to a Mac SE/30. I am trying to
> >   use the connector from the floppy which is already connected to it externally   ...but due to some reason it would not recognise it at all....What is going wrong and to start with can it handle more than two floppies....?? Please help!!
> >

> All Macs and Apple IIs are designed around the IWM (Integrated or Incredible
> Woz Machine) and its direct descendent, the SIWM.  Both of these chips are
> only designed to work with 2 floppy drives connected.  If you examine the
> pin-out to your floppy port (nearly identical on the Apple IIs and Mac, not
> too sure about the FDHD), to you'll find that one of the lines is a drive
> select line.  This is what differentiates between the internal and external
> or in the case of the IIGS, 2 external floppy drives.  There are 3rd party
> solutions such as the Rapport that allows floppy drives to be hooked up
> via the SCSI port but I think it's a really brain-damaged way of doing things.

	This may seem silly, but can't a third drive be attached to a twin
drive SE ?  (Isn't CMD-SHFT 0 used for ejecting the third floppy ?)  Do the
Twin SE's have a different scheme to the rest of the Apple line ?
				Just wondering,
				Michael

padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding
padding

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/20/90)

In article <846@iceman.jcu.oz> chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>In article <1990Jul19.043349.4506@agate.berkeley.edu>, calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) writes:
>> In article <11501@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
>> >[stuff about trying to connect a 3rd floppy to a Mac SE/30]

>> [history of Apple disk controllers plus 3rd part solutions]

>	This may seem silly, but can't a third drive be attached to a twin
>drive SE ?  (Isn't CMD-SHFT 0 used for ejecting the third floppy ?)  Do the
>Twin SE's have a different scheme to the rest of the Apple line ?

Yes, but that's an SE not an SE/30.  The SE/30 is essentially a IIx in a
different package so it's limited to 2 drives.  The SE lets you have 3 drives
because there is an extra drive selection toggle that's used in conjunction
with the internal drive select to let you select one of 2 internal drives.

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (07/20/90)

	I understand that, I was only replying to the bit that said :-

>All Macs and Apple IIs are designed around the IWM (Integrated or Incredible
>Woz Machine) and its direct descendent, the SIWM.  Both of these chips are
>only designed to work with 2 floppy drives connected.  If you examine the
>pin-out to your floppy port (nearly identical on the Apple IIs and Mac, not
>too sure about the FDHD), to you'll find that one of the lines is a drive
>select line.

	Aren't Twin Drive SE's considered part of the 'Mac and Apple II'
line ?   (:-)
						Michael

pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (07/21/90)

In article <9265@goofy.Apple.COM> stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
>Yes, but that's an SE not an SE/30.  The SE/30 is essentially a IIx in a
>different package so it's limited to 2 drives.  The SE lets you have 3 drives
>because there is an extra drive selection toggle that's used in conjunction
>with the internal drive select to let you select one of 2 internal drives.

Just a thought, could you bring that extra line out (say using an unused pin on
the 25 pin connector) and use it to then select between 4 drives (2 internal
and 2 external)?

(I would prefer 4 800K floppies to 2 HD's any day what with the trouble to be
had with the HD's :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/21/90)

In article <3079@tellab5.tellabs.com> wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
>In article <9265@goofy.Apple.COM> stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
>>Yes, but that's an SE not an SE/30.  The SE/30 is essentially a IIx in a
>>different package so it's limited to 2 drives.  The SE lets you have 3 drives
>>because there is an extra drive selection toggle that's used in conjunction
>>with the internal drive select to let you select one of 2 internal drives.
>
>Just a thought, could you bring that extra line out (say using an unused pin on
>the 25 pin connector) and use it to then select between 4 drives (2 internal
>and 2 external)?

No, the SE's floppy driver software only knows how to deal with 2 internal and
one external drive at most.