[comp.sys.mac] icon problem

sdl@rti.rti.org (07/16/90)

I have a Mac SE running System 6.0.3 with an internal 20MG HD. Lately,
I've been moving some software that has specially designed icons onto
my hard disk. At some point, which I really can't tell when with some
applications, the icons are replaced with the generic Mac application icon.
I can't seem to recover the special icon on the hard disk. This has been
happening with numerous applications.

For instance, I moved a copy of Vision onto my hard disk and immediately
lost the Vision icon. I get the correct icons on the original diskette, but
not on the hard disk.

Someone once told me that if you change the `bundle bits', the icon will
be correctly displayed. Is there are truth to this? What should I know
before I get into ResEdit or whatever I need and start editing resource
information?

Thanks,
Scott Lane
sdl@rti.rti.org

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (07/22/90)

One way to correct (possibly) your ICON problem, which has worked for me, is
to rebuild your desktop file AFTER you have copies all the files to your hard
disk. To do this, reboot your machine and hold down the command-option keys
until you get the dialog box asking if you want to rebuild your desktop. click
ok, and wait for it. You special icons should appear....

If this works, please send a thanks to pip@pro-freedom (see below)

Dave

,s

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip