[comp.sys.mac] SIMM prices

weevil@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeff Eliasen) (06/20/89)

Please respond by mail, as it is very expensive for me to access the net...

I am wondering what the best price (in the past 10 days or so) has been for
1 Meg SIMMS and where the prices are...thanx in advance!

- Weevil

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (06/22/89)

The latest prices on SIMM's from my favorate vendor is: $149 for 1 Mb at
80 nano second.  How's that!?  They are also willing to buy back your
256K SIMMs (for about $20) each.  Ask them about it.

American Micro
(714)840-5560

Please send in other prices.  Let's keep a running tab on these venders.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

I am in no way connected with American Micro.  Just a happy customer.

ahsanullah@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (OHM R) (06/26/89)

In article <1271@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu writes:

> The latest prices on SIMM's from my favorate vendor is: $149 for 1 Mb at
> 80 nano second.  How's that!?  They are also willing to buy back your
> 256K SIMMs (for about $20) each.  Ask them about it.
>
> American Micro
> (714)840-5560

Thats the price they advertise. I bought them a week ago for $130 :-). And
of course they threw in that 'what-would-I-do-without-it' installation kit
for free...(thats a joke, the kit that is).

Omar

(another VERY happy customer)

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/11/89)

Take a look at the Chip Merchant in the back of MacWeek.  100ns, 1 MEG simms,
5 year warantee for $129.

Another company sells 80ns, 1 MEG SIMMS w/a lifetime warranty for $129, also.

Price will go slightly lower in the next few weeks/months- probably bottom
out around $100, unless the government does something stupid.  They might
even drop w/the introduction of 4 meg SIMMs.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (01/18/90)

We want to buy around 100Mb of SIMMS at once -  can anyone give some
indications of where to go for the best prices?
We would like to cut out the middlemen!

Thanks. Ralph

lef@raybed2.ray.com (LEE FYOCK) (03/21/90)

After Mark Vita's post about rising SIMM prices, I finally decided
to quit waiting for prices to bottom out, and buy a couple megs
for my Plus.  So, last night I dug out the February MACWORLD and called
almost every 800 number in their list of SIMM dealers.  Here are
the results:  (prices are dollars/meg, except where noted)

Dealer			Phone			Price
Computer Care		800/950-2273		$99
Delta Research Labs	800/999-1593		$66
Mac Discount Warehouse	800/233-4426		$99
MacProducts USA		800/622-3475		$79
Micron Technology	800/642-7661		$180/pair
Pinnacle Sales Int'l	800/622-1722		$80
Third Wave Computing	800/284-0486		$71
Newer Technology	800/678-3726		$80
Allegiance Group	800/726-7466		$85
Data Memory Systems	(Number not available in my area)
Dr. Mac			800/825-6227		$85
Hardware House		800/726-4622	(heard a modem carrier signal)
MacConnection		800/334-4444		$89
MacLand			800/333-3353		$169/pair
MacTel Technology	800/950-8411		$74
MacWarehouse		800/255-6227		$89
Memory Masters		800/726-2897		$85
Micro Electronic Tech.	800/766-7466		$70
Programs Plus		800/832-3201		$89
Shecom Computers	800/366-4433		$69
South Coast El'nics	800/289-8801	(sales staff in meeting)
Technology Works	800/622-2210		***
The Chip Merchant	800/426-6375		+++
Turbo Technologies	800/542-7466		No answer

*** Technology Works is offering a free copy of Fullwrite Professional
with 4 megabytes.  FWP is $39 when you purchase 2 megabytes.  TW
quoted (I think---can't read my writing) $89/meg, and after
I said I didn't need FWP, TW quoted $79/meg "as an educational discount".
I hadn't said that I was a student.  I'm not.

+++ The Chip Merchant said that they had no SIMMs in stock, the last
quoted price was $66/SIMM, but they probably wouldn't have any in
stock until Wednesday or Thursday.

I apologize for and claim no responsibility for misspelled names
and/or misquotes.  This list is not meant to be comprehensive in scope.
This post is not meant to be a recommendation of any kind.  But in case
you care, I ended up buying from Delta Research Labs.  100ns SIMMs,
the boards have a lifetime warrantee, the chips are warranteed for
1 year (Delta makes the boards, but their chip supplier will only give
them a year warrantee).  $8 shipping for second day air ($5 for ground).

My employer's views have no correlation to mine, etc.  I doubt that
they care about SIMM prices anyway.

Lee Fyock                             Raytheon, MSD
lef@raybed6.RAY.COM                   Advanced Systems Section
         "The software we write never completes.
          It runs until the chip vaporizes."

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (03/22/90)

>The Chip Merchant	800/426-6375		+++
>
>+++ The Chip Merchant said that they had no SIMMs in stock, the last
>quoted price was $66/SIMM, but they probably wouldn't have any in
>stock until Wednesday or Thursday.

I pointed a friend at CM last week - he got them at $66 in two days.

I paniced when I saw them at CM for $69 in MacWeek Monday.  I ordered them at
$66 yesterday, and expect them tomorrow.

Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com

leikenberry@mentor.com (Larry Eikenberry) (03/24/90)

From article <9469@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason):
>>The Chip Merchant	800/426-6375		+++
>>
>>+++ The Chip Merchant said that they had no SIMMs in stock, the last
>>quoted price was $66/SIMM, but they probably wouldn't have any in
>>stock until Wednesday or Thursday.
>
> I pointed a friend at CM last week - he got them at $66 in two days.

So how did he get the special treatment?  I mailed my order in and waited a week
and a half before calling them.  Apparantly they had to wait until my check
cleared.  Then they said it would ship the following monday.  Well its been
a week since then and still no simms.  I guess others are just lucky.
--
Larry Eikenberry
Mentor Graphics Corporation

cw1z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Cushing Courtney Whitney) (07/23/90)

Does anyone have a copying of the most recent posting of chip suppliers
and their prices that they could post to the net? I deleted mine by
accident....

thanks,
cush

|  "Who can you believe? It's hard to play it safe.         |
|   But apart from a few good friends, we don't take        |
|   anything on faith." -- Rush                             |
|  "Time has come, now we jam with the uplift Mofo party    |
|   plan; we're the organic anti-beat box band"             |
|                       __ Red Hot Chili Peppers            |