[comp.sys.mac] Printing Postscript Files

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (07/17/88)

Since I've upgraded my system to 6.0 I can't get postscript files to print on
our system. We have an Apple LaserWriter+ hooked to a network of machines
running UNIX.

I've uploaded a new version of the header (from a file printed with command-k),
but when I cat it onto postscript files (created using system 6.0) nothing
prints.

I don't think it's any of the obvious problems (like adding %! to the start of
the header). I had this working fine with the previous version of the system.

What has changed with system 6.0 to cause me problems and what can I do to
fix it?

-ME (please email responses - I will post a summary if I get a solution)

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (02/22/89)

ERRATA:    (!) :)

 I said pressing k and f while printing has the same effect.

 I meant: pressing k or f has the same effect als command-k or f etc.

          To print without the prep file: press K.

 End of summary.

 Ernst.

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (02/25/89)

Can somebody tell me how to print a PostScript _file_?  That is, one
that has been saved with the option-P or whatever while printing with a
LaserWriter driver?  Is there software out there that will send a
PostScript file directly to the Laser?

I have a bunch of PS files waiting to be printed....

Thanks,

--
Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman
   __   ARPA: blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu, blackman@pucc.princeton.edu

lauac@wheeler.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (02/27/89)

In article <6640@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:
>Can somebody tell me how to print a PostScript _file_?  That is, one
>that has been saved with the option-P or whatever while printing with a
>LaserWriter driver?  Is there software out there that will send a
>PostScript file directly to the Laser?
>
>I have a bunch of PS files waiting to be printed....
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman

SendPS, a publicly distributable, free program from Adobe,
will do just what you want and more:

send a PostScript file to a LaserWriter.
list a text file to a LaserWriter.

Maybe a newer version will do more, but I don't know.
You can find it in the sumex-aim.stanford.edu ftp
archives, or if you don't have access I can mail it
to you.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

One of our staff members wrote a postscript program to plot data
generated on VAX/VMS system. They used to just transfer the program
and data to a ibm-pc and dump it to the laser printer on the pc.
Now they have a MAC and want to do the same. How would one do this on
a MAC? I suggested loading it into MS_WORD as a graphics object
and then print it. Is there a MAC utility that dumps a file to
the printer without doing anything to it?

John Mireley
Dept. of Chemistry
MI State Univ.

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (04/11/89)

In article <2433@cps3xx.UUCP> mireley@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>Is there a MAC utility that dumps a file to
>the printer without doing anything to it?

The program PC MacTerm (like Timbuktu, only for a remote PC clone), has
this capability to download postscript files to a LaserWriter. If you
just "print" them, you get the ASCII text, not the postscript result, of
course. I believe there is a shareware utility some where that also
will do this - sorry I dont know where to get it, but i've heard it
exists.

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado				"Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

sklein@cdp.UUCP (04/12/89)

If you have MicroSoft Word, the easiest way to send PostScript programs
to your printer is to give them the _style_ called PostScript from the
default style sheet.  It's too complicated to explain in a 10-line post,
but look up PostScript in your MS Word manual.

-shabtai

bjones@weber.ucsd.edu (Bruce Jones) (08/01/90)

I frequently get postcript files from the net that I want to
transfer to my Mac and print on a laserwriter.  I don't know how to
do this.  I have a program called "Printgate" that used to work but
there seems to have been some changes in many of the postscript
files that I get and they now come out of the printer upside down
and backwards.  I'm getting tired of reading these things in a
mirror so if anyone knows of a public domain program for handling
this job I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Bruce Jones 				bjones@ucsd.edu

Department of Communication		P.O. Box 23
UCSD D-003				Imperial Beach, Ca.
La Jolla, Ca. 92093					92032
(619) 534-4289				(619) 455-8420