[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder

ins_ammm@jhunix.UUCP (Mamdouh Maher) (12/06/87)

I am having trouble with MultiFinder.

1- Why is it that the finder application disapears after running two
	applications ?

2- Is MultiFinder THAT incompatible with software ?

3- Every other time I run it I get 'unable to find finder' or something
	of the sort. Then I have to reset.

4- How can I make it the startup application ? It won't let me.

I have a Mac+  1Meg  20Meg Jasmine  1DDrive.
I have both MultiFinder and the DA handler

Thank you all

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/06/87)

>I am having trouble with MultiFinder.
>
>1- Why is it that the finder application disapears after running two
>	applications ?

You probably don't have enough memory.

>2- Is MultiFinder THAT incompatible with software ?

Nope. I've found two programs that I use that don't like it: the PD version
of Rogue, and SuperPaint, which hangs the system when you try to set things
up for full screen. Everything else I use is at least MF tolerant.

>I have a Mac+  1Meg  20Meg Jasmine  1DDrive.

One meg is small to run MF and lots of other applications. use the finder
"get info" to see what you're memory allocation is, but if you're planning
on running lots of applications, you'll need more memory (you don't mention
what the other applications you're using are, but unless they are small
things, you're going to have troubles)

chuq

---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/07/87)

In article <35660@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.UUCP writes:
> Nope. I've found two programs that I use that don't like it: the PD version
> of Rogue, and SuperPaint, which hangs the system when you try to set things
> up for full screen. Everything else I use is at least MF tolerant.

At last I may get a chance to help *you* out, Chuq. In case you aren't
already aware, there is a superpaint patch program for the Mac II to solve
these problems. If you would like, I will grab it off of some BBS and drop
it on netnews, though I thought that it had been around.

Also, Dungeons of Doom V4.0 works on the Mac II provided the screen is in
2 bit mode...

Jon Shapiro

gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) (02/09/89)

Recently APDA distributed a beta version of MultiFinder (6.2a1??) that
was in beta testing.  One of the features that stands out in my mind is
the ability to set aside application windows.  Does anyone have this
new MultiFinder.  I would like to get a copy of it (through either
InterNet of BitNet if possible)?  Anyone willing?

					Greg

Gregory Shapiro                                               Gregory Shapiro
Worcester Polytechnic Institute               Worcester Polytechnic Institute
GSHAPIRO@WPI.BITNET                                                  Box 1397
GSHAPIRO@WPI.WPI.EDU (130.215.24.1)                        100 Institute Road
GEnie: THE.CYCLOPS                             Worcester, Massachusetts 01609
MacNet: GShapiro                                                United States

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (02/17/89)

In article <700@wpi.WPI.EDU> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
>Recently APDA distributed a beta version of MultiFinder (6.2a1??) that
>was in beta testing.  One of the features that stands out in my mind is
>the ability to set aside application windows.  Does anyone have this
>new MultiFinder.  I would like to get a copy of it (through either
>InterNet of BitNet if possible)?  Anyone willing?

The beta version (thus 6.2b1 or so) was distributed only with SADE, which
required certain hooks built into this new MF to work.  APDA is the only legal
source I know of for this.  It does have a nice MDEF trick--changes a menu
item with the option key while the menu is down :-), like FullWrite Pro.
This toggles between Set Aside <app> and Set Aside Others.  Handy.

The interesting part, I found, is the new 'official' release of SADE with the
official MPW 3.0: it is distributed with System 7.0b1.  [Note: I haven't seen
this myself yet; this came from a colleague who was recently at an MPW class]
This new system is necessary since the new SADE uses Inter-Process
Communication.  It apparently works much more robustly than the previous,
although a few of the error messages are still sometimes out in right field.

The recommendation is to stick to 6.0.[23] unless you need the new SADE.

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (02/21/89)

In article <642@uva.UUCP> borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>In article <700@wpi.WPI.EDU> gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) writes:
>>Recently APDA distributed a beta version of MultiFinder (6.2a1??) that

The upgrade package I just received had Multifinder 6.1b7 include with the
Sade package.

>The interesting part, I found, is the new 'official' release of SADE with the
>official MPW 3.0: it is distributed with System 7.0b1.  [Note: I haven't seen
>this myself yet; this came from a colleague who was recently at an MPW class]

However, nowhere, on the 13 disks which comprised the upgrade was there to be
found, a System of any version number.

>The recommendation is to stick to 6.0.[23] unless you need the new SADE.

The Sade manual does say it requires a version of Multifinder >= 6.1 but it
does not say anything about requiring System 7.0b1.

Milt Sagen                    Internet: sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331          Tele: (503) 754-4631

enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) (08/05/89)

Net,

     As it is, the Apple menu under Multifinder is already getting too long.
What do you think about listing all the applications under the Apple Menu and
a heirarchical item possibly named "Desk Accessories" below which can be found
all the installed Desk Accessories?

     Of course, it would be nice if commonly used DAs could be placed in the
main menu as well as things like Suitcase...

     Just to picture it:

          &
         +-----------------------+
         | About WriteNow...     |
         | Set Aside WriteNow    |
         |-----------------------|
         | x Finder              |
         |   WriteNow            |
         |   MacDraw II          |
         |   Microsft Excel      |
         |   Allegro Common Lisp |
         |   Think C             +-----------------+
         |   Cricket Graph       | Suitcase... *K  |
         +-----------------------+ Aarvark Games   |
         |   Desk Accessories  > | Alarm Clock     |
         +-----------------------+ Chooser         |
                                 | Control Panel  >| HierDA does its thing here
                                 | MockWrite       |
                                 +-----------------+

+------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
|There is a club if you would like to go.              |    Edan Kabatchnik    |
|You could meet someone who really loves you.          |          MIT          |
|So you go, and you stand on your own.    - The Smiths |enk@wheaties.ai.mit.edu|
|And you leave on your own.                            |   Schlumberger Tech   |
|And you go home, and you cry, and you want to die.    |   enk@slcs.slb.com    |
+------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (08/06/89)

 >      As it is, the Apple menu under Multifinder is already getting too
 > long.
 > What do you think about listing all the applications under the Apple Menu
 > and

If you have Suitcase II, open it up, click the settings button, and see what
the modifier key is.  If it's opt go close suitcase and opt-click the apple
menu (in multifinder), voila, a shortened menu with only the applications,
which, in my case, are usually nudging the floor.  You can also switch it such
that it's this way all the time, and opt-click on the apple shows the DA's.
OnCue does a nice job in a similar vein (or maybe artery) as well..  Right
now, OnCue and Suitcase are indispensible little utilities...  (as a murmur of
System 7.0, System 7.0 is heard in the background, in a kind of inquisitive
tone)

David..  -- Look ma, no signature!  Must be the fluoride!

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Synaptic Communications (1:250/428)

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (08/07/89)

In article <1989Aug5.010944.12131@sj.ate.slb.com> enk@slcs.slb.com (Edan Kabatchnik) writes:
>Net,
>
>     As it is, the Apple menu under Multifinder is already getting too long.
>What do you think about listing all the applications under the Apple Menu and
>a heirarchical item possibly named "Desk Accessories" below which can be found
>all the installed Desk Accessories?

I think the list of active apps should not be
on the apple menu, but in a pulldown menu
under the tiny Current App icon on the right
of the menu bar (shouldn't it be on the left
near the apple icon?).  If you just click it,
it could cycle as it does now (maybe).  If
you pull it down, it goes to the app you
select or if you select nothing, it does
nothing.

 --dave yost

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (08/08/89)

(#dmary:
Expires:
In article <1342@esquire.UUCP> uunet!esquire!yost (David A. Yost) writes:
>I think the list of active apps should not be
>on the apple menu, but in a pulldown menu
>under the tiny Current App icon on the right
>of the menu bar (shouldn't it be on the left
>near the apple icon?).  If you just click it,
>it could cycle as it does now (maybe).  If
>you pull it down, it goes to the app you
>select or if you select nothing, it does
>nothing.

I like this solution.

joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) (08/08/89)

In article <2276@sol.oakhill.UUCP> joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
> In article <1342@esquire.UUCP> uunet!esquire!yost (David A. Yost) writes:
> > I think the list of active apps should not be
> > on the apple menu, but in a pulldown menu
> > under the tiny Current App icon on the right
> > of the menu bar [ ... ]
>
> I like this solution.

I do, too.  The Apple menu is cluttered enough as it is now, not counting the
new "Set Aside" feature.  Giving the applications their own menu makes good
sense, and having the application small icon be the menu name is logical,
though having an "Applications" menu (or something) would be quite acceptable
as well.

So, Apple, are you listening?

Joe Brownlee       | Captain, please -- not in front of the Klingons.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Mr. Spock, Star Trek V
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!gistdev!joe

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/09/89)

In article <474@gistdev.UUCP> joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
>In article <2276@sol.oakhill.UUCP> joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
>> In article <1342@esquire.UUCP> uunet!esquire!yost (David A. Yost) writes:
>> > I think the list of active apps should not be
>> > on the apple menu, but in a pulldown menu
>> > under the tiny Current App icon on the right
>> > of the menu bar [ ... ]
>>
>> I like this solution.
>
>I do, too.  The Apple menu is cluttered enough as it is now, not counting the
>new "Set Aside" feature.  Giving the applications their own menu makes good
>sense, and having the application small icon be the menu name is logical,
>though having an "Applications" menu (or something) would be quite acceptable
>as well.

I think that this is a TERRIFFIC idea!  The little icon would seem to be the perfect
place for such a menu.  How about this, then:  you move the mouse onto that icon,
and the application menu "falls" down (i.e. no click), and you can choose.  Or, if
you click the icon, it switches as before.
I disagree on the idea of a seperate "Applications" menu, however.  For those of
us with the original Mac screen, there just isn't room if you're running something
like Word 4.0 or SuperPaint.  I think the icon would be better due to its size, and
due to the fact that it's already there, i.e. you don't have to add anything...

--Mike

Standard disclaimers

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (08/09/89)

> In article <1342@esquire.UUCP> uunet!esquire!yost (David A. Yost) writes:
> I think the list of active apps should not be
> on the apple menu, but in a pulldown menu
> under the tiny Current App icon on the right
> of the menu bar [ ... ]

It's called ApplicationMenu, and it's on sumex in either the cdev or init
directory (I forget).

Bill

pkorn@utastro.UUCP (Hydro Man) (08/10/89)

In article <458@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) writes:
> In article <474@gistdev.UUCP> joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
> >> I like this solution.
> >I do, too.  The Apple menu is cluttered enough as it is now, not counting the
> I think that this is a TERRIFFIC idea!  The little icon would seem to be the
> perfect place for such a menu.  How about this, then:  you move the mouse
> onto that icon, and the application menu "falls" down (i.e. no click), and
> you can choose.  Or, if
> you click the icon, it switches as before.
> I disagree on the idea of a seperate "Applications" menu, however.  For those of
> --Mike

I was going to respond by mail, but since there are four of these, I've
decided to post this.  All of these ideas are incorporated into an INIT
called MFMenu+ available for *free* via anonymous FTP at sumex under
the titel MFMenu-Plus-.  Additionally you can install applications and
documents that you can *open* directly from this menu.  You can set the menu
to appear with or without a click or even anywhere on the screen when
you click when the keys of your choice are pressed.  The only feature
missing from MFMenu+ that's in the pay version, OnCue, is that OnCue saves
the applications and documents that you install before shutdown.  One nice
frill is that any applications for which you have defined cicns via the
the Color Finder INIT will appear in color.

If anyone's interested OnCue is available from

IMI Software
121 14th Street
Seal Beach, CA 90740

I'm not associated with IMI Software and I don't know what their policies
are like; I only know this information from having obtained MFMenu+.
This sure does sound like I was set up, though. . .  Nah, it's not
uncommon to find people thinking up software ideas concurrently.

Paul Kornreich				pkorn@astro.as.utexas.edu
Astronomy
The University of Texas at Austin

-----------------------------+-*-+-*-+----------------------------------------
Princess Aura:	  Are you crazy?  Don't your realize that Ming has never kept
		a vow in his life?

Dale Arden:	  I can't help it; it's what makes us better than you.
-----------------------------+-*-+-*-+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:  Stop Reading newsnet and Get Back to Work!!

enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) (08/10/89)

The application menu from the application icon is a good idea; however, having
the menu fall down by itself is completely inconsistent with the Macintosh User
Interface.  OnCue has an option to do this and everyone I know finds it
completely and utterly horrible.

+------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (08/11/89)

enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) writes:

>The application menu from the application icon is a good idea; however, having
>the menu fall down by itself is completely inconsistent with the Macintosh User
>Interface.  OnCue has an option to do this and everyone I know finds it
>completely and utterly horrible.

It may be inconsistant, but I like it, and always have it set.  Yeah, once in
awhile when my pointer gets a little edgy and races off to the upper right
corner on its own whim and causes the menu to fall down, but I find
that it's faster switching applications.  I like it.

* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/16/89)

In article <4712@merlin.usc.edu> gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) writes:
>enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) writes:
>
>>The application menu from the application icon is a good idea; however, having
>>the menu fall down by itself is completely inconsistent with the Macintosh User
>>Interface.  OnCue has an option to do this and everyone I know finds it
>>completely and utterly horrible.
>
>It may be inconsistant, but I like it, and always have it set.
[...]

I tend to agree with Greg.  I really like this feature of OnCue, and it is always
on.  (Not surprising, since I think it was my posting that Edan was referring to)
In fact most of the people I know like the way that works.  Some of us even
have all the menus set "hot" so that they fall down automatically whenever the
mouse is put into the menubar.  It's a matter of personal preference, and that's
why the folks at ICOM made it an OPTION not a permanent setting...

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

haase@DSPO.GOV (Peter Haase) (09/06/89)

Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

tld@wuphys.UUCP (Tyrone Daulton) (09/07/89)

In article <700@topgun.dspo.gov> haase@DSPO.GOV (Peter Haase) writes:
>Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
>access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
>up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

  The problem could be that you are running Multifinder on a Macintosh that
does not have sufficient memory.  I have encounted many odd problems when
I have used Multifinder on a Mac Plus with 1 Meg of memory. For instance,
being unable to open files from an application or not being able to print.
  If you are using a Mac II then this obviously isn't your problem.
Multifinder needs a LOT of memory to run correctly ( no wierd errors ).

					  Tyrone Daulton
					  Washington University

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/07/89)

In article <700@topgun.dspo.gov> haase@DSPO.GOV (Peter Haase) writes:
>Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
>access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
>up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

That's the telltale sign of someone who is running MultiFinder
without having the DA Handler in their System Folder. The best
way to go about this is to re-install everything from your
original System Tools disk, in order to make sure you have
everything you need.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (09/07/89)

In article <702@wuphys.UUCP>, tld@wuphys.UUCP (Tyrone Daulton) writes...
>In article <700@topgun.dspo.gov> haase@DSPO.GOV (Peter Haase) writes:
>>Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
>>access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
>>up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

This sounds like it might be the dreaded "No DA Handler in the System
Folder" problem.  Under MultiFinder, desk accessories are by default run
under the control of a mini-app called DA Handler.  Under Finder, they are
run in the invoking application's memory space, under its control.  To get
this behavior under MultiFinder, hold down OPTION while selecting the
DA.  Anyway, check that DA Handler exists in the System Folder of the
boot device.

RichL

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/10/89)

Peter Haase asks:

Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

The Control Panel is a DA.  To access DAs under MF, the file DA Handler
must be in your System folder.  It's included with the System Tools disk.
Running the Installer (but NOT the Minimum Installer script) should place
it in your system folder.  Or, you can just drag it over and restart.
Wait a minute, maybe the Minimum Installer script _does_ install it.  Oh,
well, can't remember offhand.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (09/20/89)

In article <700@topgun.dspo.gov> haase@DSPO.GOV (Peter Haase) writes:
>Does anyone know why when I am running Multifinder and I try to
>access the control panel all I get is a beep and it won't come
>up? If I go back to finder and restart everything works fine.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Pete Haase

I got the same problem on a MacII with 5Meg memory; I did have the DAHandler in
the system folder.  The only way I could fix this problem was by replacing
the Multifinder document in the system folder by the original.  For some
reason the Multifinder document was corrupted!

Baskaran.

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (11/27/90)

In article <1271@iceman.jcu.oz> glmwc@iceman.jcu.oz (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>I wanted MultiTasking on my Mac II so I bought MultiFinder.
>The problem is that when I try to run Soft PC a MultiFinder
>requester box comes up and says `Soft PC has Unexpectedly
>Quit' !. Why is it that Soft PC wont run on my system under
>Multifinder.

You *BOUGHT* MultiFinder!?!? - Isn't it free? It comes on my System Disks!

Which versions of the System Software & SoftPC are you using?

| Jason Haines, Vice-President                                                |
| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |
| G.P.O. Box 4523, Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA, 2001                   |
| INTERNET:clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!clubmac |
| ACSNet:  clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz                                            |
| Phone: (02) 743-6929                            Club Mac BBS: (02) 907-9198 |
| "If that was his face, then he has a huge cleft in his chin" - Agent 86     |