[comp.sys.mac] How can I get my Fkeys to work!

jxj2606@cs.rit.edu (Jehangir X Jungalwala) (03/21/91)

   I have a Mac II SI with the 105 Extrended Keyboard, and I want to know
is there a way that I can make the Fkeys execute programs.  I don't mind
using the Command-Shit # way, but it would make life a lot easier if I
could just press one button.  I do have some utilities like Fkey MGR and things
like that, but those didn't seem to help!  Is there a way that I can just
execute programs that way.  Or even link them to a macro that will execute
the program... or something...

JAY
--
REPLY TO: jxj2606@cs.rit.edu     OR  jfj2606@ultb.isc.rit.edu

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (03/21/91)

In article <2206@cs.rit.edu> jxj2606@cs.rit.edu (Jehangir X Jungalwala) writes:

>   I have a Mac II SI with the 105 Extrended Keyboard, and I want to know
>is there a way that I can make the Fkeys execute programs.  I don't mind
>using the Command-Shit # way, but it would make life a lot easier if I
>could just press one button.  I do have some utilities like Fkey MGR and things
>like that, but those didn't seem to help!  Is there a way that I can just
>execute programs that way.  Or even link them to a macro that will execute
>the program... or something...

You mean "command-shift" right?  :^)  The function keys on the extended Mac
keyboard don't have anything to do with the command-shift-# FKEYs, believe
it or not.  The only way that the function keys will do anything is if (1)
applications are written to use them, or (2) you use some macro program.

As an example of programs which use the function keys, look at SoftPC, the
PC emulator for the Mac.  It uses the function keys so that PC programs
that require the use of function keys can work.  And I think that a few
high-end programs may use the function keys directly, though not any that I
could name off-hand.

More reasonably, you could use QuickKeys, MacroMaker, or any other macro
program, to program the function keys to do various things.  They could
trigger FKEYs, for example, but also any other macro.  You could program
keys to cut/copy/paste to match the keyboard labels.  You could program a
key to trigger a macro to check comp.sys.mac for new messages, for example.

Laird	aka laird@think.com

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (03/21/91)

:that require the use of function keys can work.  And I think that a few
:high-end programs may use the function keys directly, though not any that I
:could name off-hand.

one of MSWord's redeeming features...

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu