[comp.sys.mac] Changing HD icon

cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu (Christian De Lay) (04/03/91)

Is there a way (aside from the "Facade" init) to alter the icon of a hard
disk?  I'd like to edit the icons for my hard drives, but can't figure out
how to do it...  Suggestions?

--
cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu
"Stress gives me something to live for..."

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr02.191258.26623@ariel.unm.edu> cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu (Christian De Lay) writes:
>Is there a way (aside from the "Facade" init) to alter the icon of a hard
>disk?  I'd like to edit the icons for my hard drives, but can't figure out
>how to do it...  Suggestions?

	Don't like Facade, eh?  Try IconMaster cdev.  No go?  Here's
my theoretical solution.  Don't know why it shouldn't work, but I've
never been brave enough to try it.  Here goes:

They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.

	I'm serious about this.  If anyone has the guts to sector-edit
his/her boot blocks, I'd like to know if this method works.  I miss
the sector-editing days of yore with my Apple //e.

				Nate Gasser
				gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

--
"Everybody remember where we parked..."

mkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr. Thumb) (04/04/91)

Nathan Gasser writes:
>In article <1991Apr02.191258.26623@ariel.unm.edu> cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu (Christian De Lay) writes:
>>Is there a way (aside from the "Facade" init) to alter the icon of a hard
>>disk?  I'd like to edit the icons for my hard drives, but can't figure out
>>how to do it...  Suggestions?
>
>They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
>finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
>now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
>Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
>and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.

The ICN# is usually stored in the driver itself.  The hex replacement that
you describe will work, but you need the mask too to make it look nice.

HOWEVER:  You run the risk of twiddling the wrong byte in the driver and
making it useless.

I played a part in developing a driver/partitioner package.  We included
a facility for the user to develop his own icon and change it on-the-fly
while running the partitioner utility.  The software is currently being
shipped with some Everex drives, but due to their specification, the
user interface is nothing to write home about.  The driver is well written
and has password protection and encryption built in.

m.

--
I don't settle for mediocrity in life. I deserve the best and don't feel
bad about getting it because I put my time, effort, talents and power to use.

hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) (04/04/91)

In article <40397@netnews.upenn.edu> gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) writes:
>They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
>finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
>now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
>Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
>and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.

  The HD icon is stored in HD installer's resource file. Just use
ResEdit to edit it, and reformat the HD... although that means you
must make a backup from your HD.

--
H.Seung		hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	3820 Locust Walk #876
		University of Pennsylvania	Philadelphia, PA 19104

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (04/05/91)

In article <40418@netnews.upenn.edu> hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) writes:
>In article <40397@netnews.upenn.edu> gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) writes:
>>They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
>>finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
>>now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
>>Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
>>and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.
>
>  The HD icon is stored in HD installer's resource file. Just use
>ResEdit to edit it, and reformat the HD... although that means you
>must make a backup from your HD.

Neither of these is necessarily the case.  A drive's icon is a data
structure returned by the driver.  That data structure could come from
anywhere.  It's quite likely that the icon was compiled into the driver, in
which case it would be in line with the driver code on the disk.  Or it
could be written to a special block on the drive by the driver or
formatting software.  Or it could be in line, but patched by the formatting
software.  If the formatting software defines the icon, it could well be in
an ICN# in the formatting application, but that is not the case with most
drivers.  Incidentally, some drivers checksum themselves (or are
checksummed by the Mac) and this could cause a patched driver to fail.

I strongly suggest that you use Facade to redefine your drive's icon.  That
is assuming that your driver doesn't allow you to redefine the drive's
icon, making this whole discussion moot.

- Laird

ayaari@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alon Yaari) (04/06/91)

>	Don't like Facade, eh?  Try IconMaster cdev.  No go?  Here's
>my theoretical solution.  Don't know why it shouldn't work, but I've
>never been brave enough to try it.  Here goes:
>
>They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
>finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
>now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
>Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
>and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.
>
>	I'm serious about this.  If anyone has the guts to sector-edit
>his/her boot blocks, I'd like to know if this method works.  I miss
>the sector-editing days of yore with my Apple //e.

I too, miss the old secotr-edting days of the //e. Personally, I would not
really go so far as to edit up the boot sectors of my hard drive, because
just one bit misplaced and it will NO LONGER have a boot track. Here is my
suggestion:

I use Silverlining to format my drives, because it is really easy to
partition my drives, and allows me password control. What I was thinking
ofd doing, but never got around too, was using ResEdit to edit the icon
resource in Silverlining itself, then replace the driver. That way,
silverling will take care of sticking it in there.

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (04/06/91)

In article <27fce7ca.a6c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> ayaari@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alon Yaari) writes:

>I use Silverlining to format my drives, because it is really easy to
>partition my drives, and allows me password control. What I was thinking
>ofd doing, but never got around too, was using ResEdit to edit the icon
>resource in Silverlining itself, then replace the driver. That way,
>silverling will take care of sticking it in there.

This does indeed work.  My Silverlining-formatted drive at work has
an icon representing the AT&T Death Star, installed using just this
method.  My drive at home has a Calvin icon.

You could also wait for System 7.0.  In the "Get Info" window, you
can replace the icon with one of your choosing.  The second
partition on my drive at home has a Hobbes icon installed in just
this manner.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991