[comp.sys.mac] Sunview & X-Windows on the Mac

orly@aludra.usc.edu (Victor Orly) (04/13/91)

Victor R. Orly  (orly@aludra.usc.edu)
University of Southern California
642 West 34th Street; #B310
Los Angeles, CA 90007-0944
(213) 745-1014

I continuously use my modem to do my work on my Unix account. Can I have more
than one window open simultaneously (Like in Suview and X-Windows) on my Mac
while doing work via modem?

Also, some people misunderstood my previous article, about using Unix
(X-Window) GIF's on my Mac. I've tried GIFwathcer DA, and GIF-Converter 2.2.
I still can't view these gifs on my mac (after downloading them) because I get
"Corrupt GIF" messages from GIFwathcer DA, and "System Errors" (not the kind
which you have to restart your computer, but withing the program) from
GIF-Converter 2.2. Any useful ideas out there?

			Victor Orly
			(orly@aludra.usc.edu)

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (04/23/91)

In article <16551@chaph.usc.edu> orly@aludra.usc.edu (Victor Orly) writes:

>Victor R. Orly  (orly@aludra.usc.edu)
>
>Also, some people misunderstood my previous article, about using Unix
>(X-Window) GIF's on my Mac. I've tried GIFwathcer DA, and GIF-Converter 2.2.
>I still can't view these gifs on my mac (after downloading them) because I get
>"Corrupt GIF" messages from GIFwathcer DA, and "System Errors" (not the kind
>which you have to restart your computer, but withing the program) from
>GIF-Converter 2.2. Any useful ideas out there?

For a start if you are using Mac X, why not use "xloadimage" command for the
gif files. This command is quite powerfull, when it come to recognizing,image
formats.
Re. your corrupt problems, make sure when you transfer gif like binarys,you use
BINARY TRANSFER MODE, and when you transfer Mac utility's to Stuffit to Decode
Binhex, then use ASCII TRANSFER MODE.
I hope this is helpfull.

Siri Hewa.
||||OTC||