[comp.sys.mac] STuffit Deluxe ...

granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) (07/07/89)

THE RIGHT STUFFIT

The number one file compression utility, StuffIt, is getting an upgrade and
moving out of the shareware arena and into the commercial market. The
shareware version of StuffIt will still be availiable on bulletin boards and
electronic services, but the commercial version will have more power and will
be easier to use. Among the new features for StuffIt Deluxe will be DES file
encryption, virus detection, and improved compression for sound and graphics
files.

Aladdin Systems, the new publisher, is working with Ray Lau to take what has
become the standard for telecommunications and make it into an archiving and
backup program. Also new from Aladdin will be ShortCut, a set of file
management utilities that will let you unstuff StuffIt files through any open
dialog box. Teamed, the two products will allow users to virtually double
their hard disk space.

StuffIt Deluxe is slated for a September release and will cost under $100 (or
a $25 fee for registered StuffIt owners). ShortCut should be availiable this
summer for under $60

oStuffIt Deluxe; ShortCut.
Aladdin Systems, Inc., 217 East
86th St., Suite 153, New York,
NY 10028. (212) 410-3080
                                     -Ben Templin

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with Aladdin Software or
            Raymond Lau.

.______________________________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uuner!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!granteri   |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil                                   |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                                                |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| This Mac Plus isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it, the IIX is in the shop.     |
!______________________________________________________________________________!

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/11/89)

Grant, any idea if Aladdin is currently taking $$ for upgrades to StuffIt
Deluxe from registered StuffIt users?  Or will registered owners be
contacted by Aladdin?

At any rate, I'm hot to trot (though I am curious about specific details
about Stuffit Deluxe's new features.)

                           "Devils can be driven out of the heart by the touch
                            of a hand on a hand, or a mouth on a mouth."
                                           -- Tennessee Williams
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (07/11/89)

In article <9534@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer)
 >Grant, any idea if Aladdin is currently taking $$ for upgrades to StuffIt
 >Deluxe from registered StuffIt users?  Or will registered owners be
 >contacted by Aladdin?
 >
 >At any rate, I'm hot to trot (though I am curious about specific details
 >about Stuffit Deluxe's new features.)

If Fedit and Red Ryder are any indication, the transition from shareware
to commercial product will not be a *good thing* for users. Just my opinion.

mike ching

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/11/89)

In article <9534@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> Grant, any idea if Aladdin is currently taking $$ for upgrades to StuffIt
> Deluxe from registered StuffIt users?  Or will registered owners be
> contacted by Aladdin?

	Aladdin is not yet taking upgrade $$ since Stuffit Deluxe is still
under development and is not expected to ship until 'the Fall'. Ray is currently
busy trying to finish development on Shortcut (a super SFVolInit) and then he
will return his efforts to Stuffit Deluxe (and to starting college).
	Registered users will be contacted by Aladdin when it is ready.

> At any rate, I'm hot to trot (though I am curious about specific details
> about Stuffit Deluxe's new features.)

	Unfortunately, I have signed by life away to Aladdin, but I can say that
many/most of the features requested have been taken into consideration and will/
have be implemented.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) (07/13/89)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Grant, any idea if Aladdin is currently taking $$ for upgrades to StuffIt
>Deluxe from registered StuffIt users?  Or will registered owners be
>contacted by Aladdin?

I really could not tell you what is going on with the upgrade path. As was
posted in Msg 5219, it will probably not be pretty. The only thing I can
really tell you is you could probably contact Alladin Software at the number I
had posted along with the info about StuffIt Deluxe...which is-

Aladdin Systems, Inc.
217 East 86th Street Suite 153
New York, NY  10028

(212) 410-3080
.______________________________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uuner!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!granteri   |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil                                   |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                                                |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| This Mac Plus isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it, the IIX is in the shop.     |
!______________________________________________________________________________!

mtc@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Michael Trevor CUTTER) (05/14/91)

zaccone - 1393 writes:
Compact Pro - reduced the file from 838,843 bytes to 1,731 in 10
seconds!

 This is incredible!!  What was on the disk?
 I can't find out how one replies to articles in this thing...
 Truly amazing!
 Not that I don't believe you or anything, but Compact Pro is never that
 good to me....
 Regards,
	Mike.