[comp.sys.mac] StuffIt Deluxe is too slow!

zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) (05/14/91)

I just tried the following experiment.  I used Apple's DiskCopy to
make an .image file from an 800K disk.  I compressed the resulting
file with both StuffIt Deluxe and Compact Pro.  Here are the results:

StuffIt Deluxe - reduced the file from 838,843 bytes to 18,977 in 60
minutes (yes, one hour).

Compact Pro - reduced the file from 838,843 bytes to 1,731 in 10
seconds!

I realize that there are many tests in which the difference isn't so
great, but isn't this a bit ridiculous?

Rick Zaccone
--
zaccone@bucknell.edu

beland@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean Beland) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.125138.8162@mmm.serc.3m.com>, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com
(Paul E. Jacoby) writes (talking about StuffIt Deluxe 2.0 and 2.01):

>Second, are you stuffing with "Best" mode?  If so, TURN IT OFF!  Use
>"Best Guess" only.  The "Best" mode will try EACH of the compression
>algorithms and keep only the file which is smallest.  As you might
>guess, it can take a HUGE amount of time to try all four options.  I'd
>guess that is what you are seeing.

Here is another tip: in the "Preferences" menu, make sure that the option
"Allow Background Tasks" is OFF. It makes a *big* difference.

--
Jean Beland                       | Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
Chercheur / Research Scientist    | 1800 Montee Ste-Julie,

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (05/16/91)

> [Best Guess info deleted]
>
>Here is another tip: in the "Preferences" menu, make sure that the option
>"Allow Background Tasks" is OFF. It makes a *big* difference.

While I agree that this speeds up the compression time alot, I think
it is Stuffit Deluxe's biggest shortcoming.  It is virtually unusable
in the background.  At least in comparison to Compactor Pro.  I think
Aladin really needs to look at their model for background operations.
I feel, IMHO, that the user interface of Stuffit Del. with the
performance of Com. Pro would make the best product.  I'm sure with
future revision both the interface and performace of both products
will improve.

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu