[comp.sys.mac] Compression programs

mrp@polari.UUCP (Mad Rabbit Productions) (05/13/91)

ieeug330@Eagle.oscs.montana.edu (Mark Wistey) says:
A friend of mine with a Mac SE just got a scanner and (surprisingly) is
running out of hard drive space.  Can somebody point me to a good
compression
program?  I've heard of StuffIt, but couldn't find more than
auto-unstuffit
programs on ftp sites.  Is it a commercial program?  Thanks!

StuffIt Deluxe is a commercial program, but is probably not best suited to
your friend's needs.  Try Disk Doubler (commercial).  It allows
"on-the-fly" compression and decompression.  For example, your friend
could compress Pagemaker (yes, the application itself) and when he needs
to use it, just double-click; the file is automatically decompressed and
run.

Christopher Rimple             |  mrp@seattle.online.com
Owner, Mad Rabbit Productions  |  "One bad sector can ruin
(206) 783-2584 (voice)         |      your whole day."

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (05/16/91)

mrp@polari.UUCP (Mad Rabbit Productions) writes:

>ieeug330@Eagle.oscs.montana.edu (Mark Wistey) says:
>A friend of mine with a Mac SE just got a scanner and (surprisingly) is
>running out of hard drive space.  Can somebody point me to a good
>compression program?

Apropos of this, are there any software-only JPEG programs, or programs
that store in the JPEG format?  Anyone want to talk about the various
JPEG boards?

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

Henry.Halff@f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Henry Halff) (05/17/91)

to: AREA:comp.sys.mac
>Apropos of this, are there any software-only JPEG programs, or
>programs
>that store in the JPEG format?  Anyone want to talk about the various
>JPEG boards?

Stuffit Deluxe does JPEG

 * Origin: Twilight Clone - Macintosh Files Board - 301-946-8677