[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 on side?

<JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> (05/31/91)

Can one use the SE/30 with internal HD lying flat on its side. I'd
like to use one as a file server and it only fits in a cabinet I have
sideways. Is this OK? Any special side to use, left or right, to ly it on?
Has anyone done this successfully? Please repsond directly to me. THANKS!

taroliw@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bill Taroli) (05/31/91)

/ hpcc01:comp.sys.mac / JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET /  4:14 pm  May 30, 1991 /
>Can one use the SE/30 with internal HD lying flat on its side. I'd
>like to use one as a file server and it only fits in a cabinet I have
>sideways. Is this OK? Any special side to use, left or right, to ly
>it on?  Has anyone done this successfully? Please repsond directly to
>me.  THANKS!
----------

Well, I would suggest making sure that the fan is uppermost when lying
it on it's side. If it's lower, the heat may collect inside the
cabinet and cause some trouble. If what you're worried about is the
orientation of the HD itself, don't worry. I've never heard anything
that indicates a HD can't be operated at any orientation.

Regards,
| ______  Bill Taroli             | Internet: taroliw@hpcc33.corp.hp.com      |
| \GLEN/  Hewlett-Packard Company |           wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu      |
|  \  /   CMAS/WIN                | BITNET:   wwtaroli@SUNRISE                |
|   \/    (1/415) 857-8081        | HP Desk:  Bill TAROLI / HP0000/54         |
|_________________________________|___________________________________________|

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.163631.10166@newsserver.sfu.ca> Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) writes:
>In article <91150.191403JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>> Can one use the SE/30 with internal HD lying flat on its side.
>
>I wouldn't recommend this myself, not because of the drive but because of
>cooling problems. Not having an SE/30, I don't know if it has a fan, but
>even if it does it sounds like your space is so tight you couldn't get
>proper air flow through the Mac.

Not to mention getting a cramp in the neck after hours of sitting like
this: 8-)  [literally!]

8-)
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu        Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an