[comp.sys.mac] system7:Let's get this straight

talaga@oxy.edu (06/04/91)

In article <133928@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E
Mitchell) writes:
>My system consists of a mac IIsi 5/80 and a Teleport modem.

Mine too sans the Teleport modem.

>System 7 bogs me down quite a bit
>especially in screen redraw.

Have you noticed that system 7 uses color icons? 256 color icons in fact.
It takes the system extra time to update each of those color icons. One
solution
is to switch to black and white for speed (or 16 colors) There is an excellent
(in my experience) FKEY called Switch-a-Roo that will do this wth a key press.

Also, virtual memory is a major performance dragger. If you want speed turn off
virtual memory. File sharing is another performance bane. Be sure it is turned
off. Does your IIsi have a fpu?

I've been running system 7 for some time now and my only complaints are that it
is a memory hog and it doesn't work with Macromaker.