[comp.sys.mac] Help oh hard drive failure

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.230631.19955@sdd.hp.com> pont@sdd.hp.com (Jorge Pont) writes:

>Can anyone help me with a hard drive failure?
>
>The hard drive in my SE has failed for the second time.
>The original drive was a 20 mb Miniscribe.  It failed after 6 months
>of use.  The people at Computerland replaced it for ~ $300.
>The disk they put in just failed (it lasted for about 1.5 years).
>The symptoms of the failure are a repetitive initialization mechanical
>noise, and total failure to recognize the drive.
>
>My questions are:
>
>- Do the hard drives in the SE have a high failure rate?
>- What are my options if I don't want to spend $400 to get it
>  fixed at Computerland? (I can do the actual replacement myself.)
>- How can I get Apple to pay for it?
>- Who (of some weight and substance) in Apple do I fire a very angry
>  complaint letter to? (I want to tell them what I think about
>  the reliability of their product).
>
>Could you please e-mail me the response? (I don't read this newsgroup.)
>
>Thanks in advance, from a sad Mac user.
>
>Jorge (pont@sdd.hp.com)

First, I would try to find out WHY two the drives failed!
Second, I am not a Mac guru.

Nevertheless, if you can use a standard SCSI drive, you will find them cheap.
For example, Griffin (1800-472-4743) sells the Quantum low profile (LPS-52S)
52 MB SCSI for $225.

 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG