[comp.sys.mac] Tips for Macs on a student network

martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) (06/17/91)

Any tips for setting up Macs (LCs in this case) on a network in a student lab?

As far as I know, there is no way to have them boot from the network, but I
would like to convice them to read their system folder from the net to speed
things up a bit.  Any advice in this area will be greatly appreciated.

The hardware: 10 Mac LCs with Ethertalk adaptors.  The server is currently a
Mac IIfx, but will eventually be a Mac IIci.  We can use either System 7 or
6.0.7.

--------------------------
Marty Zimmerman			 <martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu>
Computer Services		 <martyz@idui1.bitnet>
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID USA

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.165139.575@groucho> martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty
Zimmerman) writes:
>Any tips for setting up Macs (LCs in this case) on a network in a student lab?
>
>As far as I know, there is no way to have them boot from the network, but I
>would like to convice them to read their system folder from the net to speed
>things up a bit.  Any advice in this area will be greatly appreciated.
>
>The hardware: 10 Mac LCs with Ethertalk adaptors.  The server is currently a
>Mac IIfx, but will eventually be a Mac IIci.  We can use either System 7 or
>6.0.7.
>
>--------------------------
>Marty Zimmerman                  <martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu>
>Computer Services                <martyz@idui1.bitnet>
>University of Idaho
>Moscow, ID USA

As far as I am aware, the only way to have remote boot is to use a "DigiCard"
server. The student inserts a minimal system disk which is then ejected as the
system on the server takes control. Although the digicard is expensive, the
saving comes about by not having hard disks on the student machines (experience
seems to be that HD's in a Lab are a disaster anyway).
Cheers, Bob Jenner