[comp.sys.mac] Macs in a Student Lab

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (06/24/91)

s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (A. Vanderstock) writes:

>martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) writes:

]First of all, I want to thank all those who responded to my request for
]information on setting up a networked lab of LCs with no hard-drives.  I'm
]editing down the suggestions into a summary that I'll post later.

]Here's my next question: a main point in most of the suggestions was to create
]a RAM disk and move the active system folder there to cut down on floppy-drive
]accesses.  I can move the folder, but how do I convince the system that the new
]version is the "Blessed" folder?  I have an app called Blesser, but it requires
]a reboot to take effect.  That won't work for a RAM disk.

The version of ram disk that Andrew mentions below (2.11 or 2.21) will
switch systems for you. Note that the following files: system/multifinder/
finder all have to be copied from the same place for the bless to work
(Dunno why...)

]Also: any suggestions on RAM disk software?  I'm using one from the info-mac
]archives called RAMDISK 1.1.

>Use the better RAMdisk 2.11 from the same place. If you are running System 7.0
>then sorry it won't work. It allows the RAM disk to take control and even
>boots up Multifinder if the files are copied across by it... But it still has
>problems : You need a boot disc for every single mac unless you do not have
>accounts for every single machine. Horses for courses.

There _IS_ a ram disk specifically for sys7, but it runs as an application.
It's called App-Disk-20, and I think it's at sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the
info-mac/cdev directory (check this)

]Thanks again.

]Marty Zimmerman			 <martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu>