[comp.sys.mac] Word 3.01 question

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (08/21/87)

I have a small probelm with Word that maybe someone can help me with. I centered
a paragraph (by selecting the text) and in the paragraph dialog selected a
shadowed box to surround it. It showed up on the screen and the LW with rules
under
 each line instead of a single box around the paragraph. What I do wrong?
This is what I expected:

	|					 |
	|		Line 1			 |
	|		Line 2			 |
	|		Line 3			 |
	|					 |

This is what I got instead:

	|					|
	|		Line 1			|
	|					|
	|		Line 2			|
	|					|
	|		Line 3			|
	|_______________________________________|

Any ideas? Where in the 3.0 manual should I look?

				Thanks.
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/22/87)

In article <39@mtunj.ATT.COM> howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:
>I have a small probelm with Word that maybe someone can help me with. I centered
>a paragraph (by selecting the text) and in the paragraph dialog selected a
>shadowed box to surround it. It showed up on the screen and the LW with rules
>under
> each line instead of a single box around the paragraph. What I do wrong?

I'll be you set up the centered text wtih "string<return>string<return>"
This makes each string its own paragraph, and you get exactly what you
told it to do -- each paragraph is boxed.

For what you want to do, you need to use newlines instead of paragraphs
to break up the lines. Newline is <shift-return>.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

jlc@goanna.oz (J.L Cybulski) (08/31/87)

Boxed text requires the box to contain one paragraph only.
Therefore, whenever you need multiple line text you have to
use a soft return (Shift-Return) at the end of every line
rather than a normal return (which ends a paragraph).

zingman@lll-lcc.aRpA (Jonathan Zingman) (11/12/97)

I have a simple question about footnotes in Word 3.01.  I am writing a
paper in which I use the footnotes as endnotes for my references.  I use
the autonumber feature, which seems to work perfectly.  However, I
occasionally need to refer to the same source twice.  How do you get
Word to insert the same reference number in a way that will allow it ot
be updated correctly if I change the references around.  Cutting and
pasting the initial reference inserts a new reference number, not the
original one.  Is that the best I can do?

Jon Zingman
zingman@lll-lcc.arpa

adthanksvance <--  An example of tmesis