[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #8

Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (Info-Atari16 Digest) (11/10/86)

Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, November 10, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 8

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                       Request for MIDI info..
                        FLASH XMODEM question
                  TeX for the ST - Byte announcement
              Re: Micro-EMACS 3.7i -- bugs and comments
                           fpu, pd-software
                           Joystick problem
                           Re: ST problems
                             Re: UNITERM
          Re: Help with Desk Accessories: accessory loaders.
                         Re: Joystick problem
          Re: Help with Desk Accessories: accessory loaders.
                   Re: floppies a la 410 k per side
                           Mapping Software

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 86 13:42:05 CDT
To:  info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
From:  DAVE%UWF.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Request for MIDI info..

Hello,
      In regard to Mark Milbourne's questions regarding using the ST's
MIDI capabilities, could anyone answering him please send me a copy also.
I'm in about the sme boat he is, although, I'm not as familiar with the
synthesizers available, so recomendations along those lines would be
appreciated also.  Thanks.

      Regards,
                   Dave 'The Kid' Jaquay

BITNET    : DAVE@UWF
ELSEWHERE : DAVE%UWF.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU, I think...
PHONE     : (904) 479-5226
GLOBE     : 030 North 087 West
Disclaimer: Unemployed, so nobody cares what I think.

------------------------------

To: info-atari16@su-score
Subject: FLASH XMODEM question
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 86 09:33:57 -0800
From: lewis@tsca.istc.sri.com

I have been able to uudecode the binaries posted in this new group,
and get the correct file sizes and sum's to my SUN and VAX-4.3,
But the programs crash when I try to run them on the ST. I am using
UMODEM on UNIX, and FLASH on the ST. Dumping the files on the ST
show the CNTRL-Z filling the final block, and I suppose this is
why the programs crash. FLASH has a "size byte" option for ending
the file with the original size.

Does anyone know how to fix UMODEM to send the size byte option
instead of padding with CNTRL-Z. Or should I pad with ZERO bytes?
How do other folks transfer the files from UNIX systems to ST?
I have found KERMIT to be painfully slow and unreliable, as it
inserts occasional zero bytes. I obtained this GEM-KERMIT from
the ATARI BBS.

Thanks
-Mark Lewis

------------------------------

From: mcvax!lasso!didier@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Thu Nov  6 17:20:49 GMT+1:00 1986
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject:  TeX for the ST - Byte announcement

This month's issue of Byte Magazine has an ad (p. 48h) from a German company
(called Tools Gmbh) for a port of TeX to the ST. I called them up for more
information, and here's what they told me:

   - complete port of version 2.0
   - requires 1 Mb ram *and* TOS in rom  (the thing is a biggie)
   - can be used with two drives, but a hard-disk is required for serious use
       (single-drivers : forget it)
   - drivers for FX-80, Nec P6 and HP Laser
   - the total package described in the ad (formatter, previewer, LaTeX,..)
      costs 303 DM

Well, I think it's time for me to get a Winchester...

Didier Giralt                             LAAS-CNRS
                                          7 av du Colonel Roche
...!seismo!mcvax!inria!lasso!didier       31077 Toulouse Cedex
                                          France

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 18:10:44 GMT
From: zen!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-bv@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (Warner Young)
Subject: Re: Micro-EMACS 3.7i -- bugs and comments
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Another "bug" I have found in uEmacs, probably more of a feature, is that,
unlike the older uEmacs, it uses <NL> at the end of a line, as opposed to a
<NL> and a <CR>.  Try writing any sort of file, or modifying anything with
uEmacs 3.7, and SHOWing it from the Desktop.  Also, if your Desktop.Inf file
doesn't end with a sequence of NL and CR on each line, the Desktop will do
strange things.  After the first task (SHOW) or application, the mouse button
speed will suddenly slow down.  Has anyone else had this happen?

No quote worth saying.
					Warner Young

------------------------------

Date: 6 NOV 86 10:14-N
From:  ZRFA1%DS0RUS51.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-ATARI16@SU-SCORE.ARPA
Subject:fpu, pd-software

1. I asked a german company for some information on atari software.
Among these informations was an anouncement of a floating point
coprocessor for all atari-st modells. They use a NS 32081 d-8.
I asked for more informations. They told me that it will be available
at the end of november. They will suport the Atari development package and
Metacomco software products. The price will be approx. 1000 DM. The
company is Gerhard Knupe GmbH&CoKG (Germany) Tel.: 0231/527531 .

I don't have any connection to the company.

2. In one of the new digest i read, that vix.ttp was distributed. I
have not got it here on Bitnet/Earn. Could somebody please post it to
me. Thanks in advance.

3. As i seem to have missed some of the posting during the last time,
is the new method of geting and posting pd-software ready? Is it also
possible for Bitnet/Earn sites to get pd-software? Could someone
please give an answer on info-atari16 as it might be of interest for
many sites.

                              Ulrich Lang ( ZRFA1@DS0RUS51.BITNET
                                         or ZRFA@DS0RUS1I.BITNET  )
                             University of Stuttgart Computer Center

------------------------------

Date: 4 Nov 86 17:43:11 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
Subject: Joystick problem
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I find that if I boot up my machine (520, TOS in ROM) with a joystick
attached to port 2 (the non-mouse port) the machine comes up with the
keyboard effectively disabled, and I have to unplug it and reboot.  If
I plug it in after the machine has booted, everything is happy.

Admittedly, it's an '8-bit' Atari joystick model, but still...

Anyone else seen this?  Have any clues?  Helpful hints and suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: 4 Nov 86 12:14:15 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!its63b!csan@seismo.css.gov  (Andie)
Subject: Re: ST problems
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <758@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> c9c-bg@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) writes:
>Has anyone had the problem of their ST upon booting (TOS in ROM) saying
>that every disk was empty. (i.e. 0K in 0 folders).  Mine is doing this.
>I have a single sided drive.
>Help!!!
>

>James Landay
>c9c-bg@buddy.berkeley.edu

I had a lot of trouble with this when I had my TOS on disk . I had 2
versions ..  A UK version and the usual US version . Some files ,in
particular folders , were deemed to be empty by the US version if they
were created in the UK version .  Top level directories were ok but
any sub-dir was empty according to the US one.  UK reading US created
disks had no problems ....!

Dunno if this is any help but here goes anyway .

Andrew Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

------------------------------

Date: 4 Nov 86 15:36:30 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
Subject: Re: UNITERM
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I *think* I have finally managed to collect all the bits.  I got the
README and parts b and a from a 'second-source'.  (I already had c.)
The part b I just got matches the part b I'd already had, so I'm hoping that
I've now got the full set.  However, I haven't ported it onto my ST and
uudecoded/de-arced it yet.  If I can find a JANET path from UK.AC.AUCC to
your machine, I'll try to mail it to you, unless I hear rather quicly that
you'd as soon not be the guinea-pig.

Anyone else in the UK who is accesible to JANET mail, and in a similar
situation, send me mail ***AT MY PRIMARY MACHINE*** (poor
connectivity).  E-mail address for there is:

   Smee at UK.AC.AUCC

(In theory, I can also get at ARPA via UCL-CS gateway, and at BITNET
via RL.EARN gateway, but I haven't been terribly successful at those.
Still, if anyone wants to try to establish a mail path between me (at
AUCC) and somewhere on those nets, I'll be happy to give that a try as
well...)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Nov 86 10:47:18 GMT
From: mcvax!cernvax!jmg@seismo.css.gov  (jmg)
Subject: Re: Help with Desk Accessories: accessory loaders.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <679@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>sorry to disagree landon but if the program in question is acc_load
>that was posted to the net awhile ago, it works just fine allowing
>the user to even select which .acc are to be loaded

Did I miss this program? Long ago? Maybe repost if others also missed it.

[ACCLOADER seems to have been sent to info-atari on 2-NOV-86.
 For Internet people it appeared in Digest Volume 86 Issue 5,
 or it can be FTPed from SU-Score.ARPA::<INFO-ATARI>ACCLOADER.  -Moderator.]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 03:25:22 GMT
From: mcvax!nikhefk!keeshu@seismo.css.gov  (Kees Huyser)
Subject: Re: Joystick problem
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

As far as I know, it's a common problem with the Atari joysticks (only
the _real_ Atari joysticks?). An ST-dealer I know frequently complains
about this, although I may add I never experienced the 'hangup'
myself. My Atari 1040 ST (with ROM's [even specia l U7 ROM with much
faster disk-access] never 'hangs' under normal circumstances -
joystick or no joystick connected).

------------------------------

Date: 5 Nov 86 18:47:00 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, I just looked through the back items here (admittedly often swept)
and in Arizona and see no sign of this alleged acc_load.  Where was it posted
to, when?  Is it just that it ain't got here yet?  Is it small enough
to repost sensibly?  Is it really named something else non-obvious, or
tucked away in a message with a totally unrelated subject?

------------------------------

Date: 5 Nov 86 18:04:40 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!bath63!pes@seismo.css.gov  (Paul Smee)
Subject: Re: floppies a la 410 k per side
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Maybe someone's said it before, though I've been watching a lot longer
than i've been talking and haven't seen it.  I am using 'over-formatted'
disks for bulk storage of some things.  However there is one short-coming
which people should be aware of.  Some programs think they know what a
disk looks like and will not work on, or with, nonstandard disks.

    ******* IN PARTICULAR *******

The desktop 'whole disk copy' (move disk icon A over disk icon B) will
**NOT** properly copy a whole 410K disk onto another 410K disk.  It
*looks* like it is working, but in fact only 9 sectors per track get
copied over.  The 10th on the target disk is left containing the trash
pattern put in by the formatter.  (This is definitely true with the
version of ROM TOS which I've got.  If other people don't have this
problem, you're lucky.  At least check first, before counting on this.)

I suspect that the 'whole disk copy' also only knows about 80 tracks per disk
and that it will therefore do the wrong thing with 82 track 9sector disks,
but I haven't checked that.

File-by-file copies appear to work fine -- though I confess I now do a
compare between source and target files before trusting the result as
backup.

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 06 Nov 86 17:00:37 PLT
From:           Don Howes  <HOWESDW%WSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      Mapping Software
To:  INFO-ATARI16@SU-SCORE.ARPA

I'm looking for software to do contour mapping on an ST. The output
from the program would be going to a dot matrix printer.

Does anyone know of the availability of such software? Either commercial
or public domain would be great. If PD, I can compile code written in
C, Modula-2 or assembler (or even BASIC).

Please reply to me directly. Thanks in advance.

Don

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------