[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #13

Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (Info-Atari16 Digest) (11/13/86)

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, November 12, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 13

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

               Atari ST vs Amiga: Engineering software?
                      Epson DSDD drives (+ fix!)
         net.micro.atari16 is being renamed comp.sys.atari.st
                       Re: mod.atari16.sources
                     Announce: comp.sources.atari
                               Re: arc
                      source code for stspeech?
                           Re: Atari Stock
            Re: Re: Micro-EMACS 3.7i -- bugs and comments
                   Re: floppies a la 410 k per side
                  Re: Help with AUTO folder programs
                      TDI Modula-2 for Atari ST
                              Slow GEM?
                       using GENIE with ST-TALK
                            ST screnn size

Date: 7 Nov 86 20:23:05 GMT
From: allegra!rayssd!rpa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Robin P. Alston)
Subject: Atari ST vs Amiga: Engineering software?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'm considering buying an amiga or 1040 st. I would first like to know some
peoples experiences with availablity of some engineering software for them.

I am particularly interested in:
		Schematic Capture (Wire & net lists, Bill of materials etc etc)
		Printed Circuit Layout (Multi layer ?)

	optionally:
		Logic simulation

Does anyone have comments/real experiences? I am also interested in just how
the two machines can expand memory and hard disk and how much (approx) do
these expansions cost.

Mail me please first. If interest shows in the answers I will summarise later.

Thanx in advance for any help.
		Robin.
--
Robin P Alston MSc. aka The REAL Atilla.
Snr Engr, Raytheon

Tel: (617) 460-8225

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 86 16:07:39 GMT
From: ihnp4!drutx!druky!med@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (DrapalME)
Subject: Epson DSDD drives (+ fix!)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	I also had problems with the Epson double sided drives not being
recognized w/o a disk in them at boot time.  Being the stubborn person
that I am, I decided that I'd look at the BIOS to see how the drives
were determined to "be there".  Well, I guess I shouldn't be shocked (I've
seen some really insane code in the BIOS before :-)), but I could hardly
believe my eyes!  And it was then that I realized why the Epson drives would
not be recognized.  The BIOS seeks to track 10 to determine if a drive is
present or not (why the Atari drives allow this w/o a disk in them is
beyond me...)!  So, here is a fix, a program that you can put in your
AUTO folder and never have to worry about this again.  First is the source
and then the uuencoded binary.

					Myron Drapal
					AT&T Information Systems, Denver
					..!ihnp4!druky!med

===== Cut here -> drives.c =====
#include <osbind.h>

main()
{
long ssp;

ssp = Super(0L);

/* the following sets up for two "real" drives.  if you have only 1  */
/* drive, simply change the #2 to #1 in the move.w instruction below */
asm {
	move.w #2,0x4a6		/* nflops=2 */
	ori.l  #3,0x4c2		/* drvmap|=3 */
    }
Super(ssp);
}
===== Cut Here -> drives.uu =====
begin 777 drives.prg
M8!H   ;:    %@  !T@                  $[Y    #$[Y   &9"I/*FT
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M=4Y6__Q(YP$0)FX "# K  K ?  #9@@P//__8   CBX3GJL !C K  K ? "
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M^#\\  (_+@ (0J<_/ !"3KH!*M[\  HM0/_T#&X  0 .9@X@+O_XT*X "BU
M  I@) QN  ( #F8.("[_]-"N  HM0  *8 XP+@ .9P@@//____]@8B N  JP
MKO_T;QY(;O_R("X "I"N__0O #\N  @_/ ! 3KH Q-[\  Q"9S\N  @O+@ *
M/SP 0DZZ *[>_  *#(      7<# ?  !.4#Y]&<*(#S_____8 I@"$)L^?0@
M+@ *3EY.=4Y6   O+@ (/SP 24ZZ ')<CTY>3G5.5O_^0F[__F F,"[__N6
M0>SXQ-# ,!"P;@ (9@XP+O_^Y8!![/C$T,!"4%)N__X,;@!,__YMTDY>3G5.
M5O_^/P<^+@ (/7P!,/_^0>SXQ")(TN[__KY09P982+/(9O8P*  "/A].7DYU
M*4GXP"E*^+PI7_BX3D$B;/C )&SXO"\L^+A.=4Y6   P+@ ,4VX #$I 9S8@
M;@ ($!!(@+!\  IF#C\\  T_/  "3KK_O%B/(&X "%*N  @0$$B /P _/  "
M3KK_I%B/8+Y.7DYU3E8  # N  Q3;@ ,2D!G&B!N  A2K@ ($!!(@#\ /SP
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M C+\@P B_      R_ ( TOP%>#E\ @#Z0$YU0T]..@  0558.@  4%)4.@
M#0H       (& !(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2
M$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2
>$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2

end

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 86 20:04:50 GMT
From: cbosgd!mark@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mark Horton)
Subject: net.micro.atari16 is being renamed comp.sys.atari.st
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

This newsgroup is being renamed from net.micro.atari16 to comp.sys.atari.st.
This renaming will gradually take place over the next few weeks.
More and more messages posted to this newsgroup will be aliased
into the new newsgroup as they pass through the net, and people
will begin to post to the new group.  After a few weeks, the
old name will be removed.

This note is to inform you of the renaming so you can begin to
read the new group as well as the old group.

	Mark Horton
	Director, the UUCP Project

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 86 14:51:00 GMT
From: adelie!necntc!encore!linus!raybed2!applicon!bambi!maggot!barada@ll-xn.arpa
Subject: Re: mod.atari16.sources
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	See the announcement of comp.sources.atari in net.micro.atari16

Peter Barada
ihnp4!ima!pbear!peterb

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 86 14:52:00 GMT
From: adelie!necntc!encore!linus!raybed2!applicon!bambi!maggot!barada@ll-xn.arpa
Subject: Announce: comp.sources.atari
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

>[]
>
>I've tried mailing to Peter Barada but it bounced.  Does anybody know
>his right address, and/or how to send stuff to mod.atari16.sources?
>(and how to receive it, and whether it exists...) - I am holding off
>on posting binaries and source code here until this issue is cleared...
>
>- Moshe Braner

	Huh??? I did't know that it was that hard to contact me...

Anyway, I'm in the middle of changing jobs, but I WILL be moderating
comp.sources.atari soon as I get News up at my new employer. That
will be by Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, send your sources, binaries (and your kids if you can...)
to:

UUCP:
	allegra		\
	amd		 \
	decvax!bbncca	  \
	harvard		   \
	cca		    + ! ima ! pbear ! peterb
	cbosgd		   /
	wjh12		  /
	ihnp4		 /
	yale		/

This is my machine at home, so I'll save everything over the next few
weeks and then when the group is formed, I'll start posting.

Please include a well known return path in the message so I can get
a reply to you. I will consider all entries and send back a message
either accepting the stuff, or a reject message with a suggestion for
changes.  Please keep the messages below 65K since my mail connection
limits messages to that length. I don't want to overload the network.

I'm assuming that I will be flooded with a ton of sources, so
PLEASE: if you have to break up a submission, put section numbers on the
pieces. I can accept compressed and uuencoded binaries, but the compression
can only be 12 bit (compress -b12). I'm soliciting ideas for having a
compresssion scheme that is usable and doesn't need a big VAX to run.
Please mail your ideas to me.

In order to keed the netload down some, I'll be posting only about 65K
per day, so there will be a backlog.

I'll also be soliciting ideas and kind people to help with a tape archive
service, so if you have any ideas, please drop me a line.

Peter Barada

{ihnp4|allegra|amd|cbosgd|decvax!bbncca|harvard|cca|yale}!ima!pbear!peterb

12 days and counting...

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 86 02:20:49 GMT
From: rutgers!clyde!watmath!utzoo!utcsri!uthub!utecfa!mugc@lll-crg.arpa  (ModemUserGroupChairman)
Subject: Re: arc
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

	Could I get a copy of Arc too please.

--
	Anees Munshi
	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsri!utecfa!mugc

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Nov 86 12:21:50 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: source code for stspeech?

After getting the stspeech program, I would exchange my firstborn for the
source code!  Is this around somewhere>

Thanks in advance,

Eric Bergman-Terrell (terrell@ohio-state)

------------------------------

Date: 8 Nov 86 15:33:02 GMT
From: ritcv!ref0070@rochester.arpa  (Bob Fortin)
Subject: Re: Atari Stock
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <856@blade.UUCP> jls@blade.UUCP (John L. Schantz) writes:
>Well every body Atari went public this morning (11/7/86).
>It opened at $11.50 and went up to $11.75 by noon with about
>3M share traded so far.  I hope it does well.

What exchange, and what name does it go by (atari? I asume).

Bob Fortin
{allegra seismo decvax}!rochester!ref0070

------------------------------

Date: 8 Nov 86 15:01:40 GMT
From: imagen!turner@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (D'arc Angel)
Subject: Re: Re: Micro-EMACS 3.7i -- bugs and comments
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> Another "bug" I have found in uEmacs, probably more of a feature, is that,
> unlike the older uEmacs, it uses <NL> at the end of a line, as opposed to a
> <NL> and a <CR>.  Try writing any sort of file, or modifying anything with
> uEmacs 3.7, and SHOWing it from the Desktop.  Also, if your Desktop.Inf file
> doesn't end with a sequence of NL and CR on each line, the Desktop will do
> strange things.  After the first task (SHOW) or application, the mouse button
> speed will suddenly slow down.  Has anyone else had this happen?
>
> No quote worth saying.
> 					Warner Young

actually its niether, its a pain in the (explicative deleted), the problem is
uEmacs was written to run on a variety of machines, some use LF (unix) and
some use CRLF (atari, ibm). i corrected the problem in the latest version,
but because of the joys of posting, and reposting part xx etc. i am asking
people to send me a SASE with a SSDD disk and i will fill it with the
latest version and documentation. i realize that this is a pain but so is
all of the repost msgs to the net in general and me in particular. sorry
if i sound grumpy but its before coffee.
--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

------------------------------

Date: 8 Nov 86 17:58:28 GMT
From: imagen!atari!dyer@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Landon Dyer)
Subject: Re: floppies a la 410 k per side
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <254@bath63.UUCP>, pes@bath63.UUCP (Paul Smee) writes:
> I suspect that the 'whole disk copy' also only knows about 80 tracks per disk
> and that it will therefore do the wrong thing with 82 track 9sector disks,

That is correct.

--

-Landon Dyer, Atari Corp.		        {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer

------------------------------

Date: 10 Nov 86 03:38:30 GMT
From: imagen!atari!portal!Dave.Ninjajr.Flory%cupertino.pcc@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Re: Help with AUTO folder programs
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

They run in the same order that they are put into the folder, no matter what
order you display them in.

ucbvax!sun!portal!dave.a.flory
%cupertino.pcc
ataribase 408-745-5308

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 10 Nov 86 02:29 EDT
From:  HIMAC%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Hampshire College Network
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject:  TDI Modula-2 for Atari ST

I've just purchased TDI Modula-2 for my ST, but I haven't had the time to do
anyserious programming with it yet.  Has anyone out there noticed anything
I shouldbe on the lookout for?  Any warnings, suggestions, or hints would
be welcome.

Please reply to turtle%umass.bitnet@wisc.arpa as
this list does not seem to come regularly

------------------------------

Date:           Mon, 10 Nov 86 17:47 EDT
From:              <RDROYA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Robert
Subject:        Slow GEM?
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

I just finished getting an old version of MicroEMACS ported from CP/M-68K to
the ST and in doing it discovered something interesting about Kermit.  The
ME I have supports terminal connection and Kermit file protocol.  I have
been using GEM kermit before.  Under GEM kermit the highest data rate I ever
got was 82 bytes per second, on a fast line.  But with this kermit I'm
averaging 94 bytes per second on the same line.  I think that's kind of odd,
considering that the kermit used to make my program is the UMAN kermit which
has the same basic innards as the protocol in Nebel's version.  Are AES and
VDI the bottlenecks?

Disclaimer: T-minus three months and still no dev pack, wonder where the
            cancelled check's money is now?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 21:22:46 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: using GENIE with ST-TALK

I have started to use the GENIE on-line service.  I want to do uploads and
downloads, but have not been successful.

I am using ST-TALK.

The problem:

When I try to do either an upload or a download, I wait and get a prompt
to tell me to begin the (XMODEM) transfer.  This prompt is garbled.

The prompt for uploads is "READY TO RECEIVE FILE", but what I see is
something like ADYREC - some of the characters are gone.  At this point
I cannot send the file via XMODEM.

For downloads, the problem is very similar.  I choose the file, and get
a garbled message saying that the file will be sent.

These upload and download prompts are the only things garbled - I am
able to read and type text just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Bergman-Terrell (CSNET ADDRESS terrell@ohio-state)
                     (GENIE ADDRESS terrell-e)

------------------------------

Date: 11 Nov 86 16:43:21 GMT
From: sdcc6!ir648@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu  (Chet Koblinsky)
Subject: ST screnn size
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I got my 520ST yesterday and I have some question.
My monitor is mono and size of actual screen is 9.5 in diagonally.
Is this normal or need adjustment or defect monitor?
It looks like Mac screen on big atari face.

Dose anyone have working uniterm and MicroEmacs around San Diego
area?  I like to copy rather than uuencode ( I never tried uuencode
on ST)

J. Lee
ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir648

End of Info-Atari16 Digest