[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 composite video

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (11/13/86)

In article <1485@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@batcomputer.UUCP (braner) writes:

>Last time I looked inside my 1040STf it still had an empty space (next
>to the video jack) that was obviously designed for the modulator Atari
>still owes us.  (That BYTE preview said it will be there, and so does
>the nicely printed manual that came with my ST...)
>
>That space has some traces for an emitter follower or something, but
>not for the main part of the modulator.
>
>But forget about the modulator:  how about getting just plain composite
>video (no RF) out of the 1040?  Anyone knows how?  Or is this what was meant
>in the posting, modulation meaning in this case the encoding of the colors
>in the subcarrier?
>
>- Moshe Braner

	Well the modulator does more than just modulate.  It also
encodes the video from RGB to composite.  The same problem applies
with the subcarrier being phase locked to the system clock.  Not
having a 1040 readily available I can't say what exactly would have to
be added but on the 520 there is a 7474 and some caps, chokes, transistors,
and resistors to be added as well as some modifications to the board itself.
Add to that the modulator and you have composite video.  Maybe someone at
Atari will see fit to sell to the end user the modulator just like the
ROM chips and myself or someone else could write up the instructions for
installation.  The MC 1377 would still have to be added to provide RGB
to composite or installation of the modulator.  An outboard unit is a
possibility though.

	Does anyone have any idea's?  Feed back Moshe?

Any opinions expressed above are my own.        Rich Andrews
 They can be yours too.  Please send $19.95 to.....ihnp4!chinet!cabbie