[comp.sys.atari.st] REVIEW OF "WORD WRITER ST" WORD PROCESSOR

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) (11/17/86)

In article <8610271650.AA12027@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:

>     Several  of  us  at  work  (and  home)  have  changed  word
>processors  recently  from "1st Word" to "Word  Writer  ST",  by
>Timeworks.    It  may  be  short  of  the  next-generation  word
>processors  that  we're  waiting for,  but here's  some  of  its
>features: ...

Thanks for the review of WORD WRITER ST.  I'm thinking of changing from
1ST Word and have a couple of questions.

1) What kind of doc files does WWS generate?  1st Word creates a .doc file
that is incompatible with files not created in the WP mode.  If you look
at a 1st Word file, it looks like a huge string of letters.  If you save
a file that is not in the WP mode and try to reedit it in the WP mode, you
can't get REFORMAT to work on it.  This makes 1st Word incompatible with
files generated with other editors that store text with spaces imbedded.
Does WWS have this problem too or does the ASCII save to disk you mentioned
in your review solve this?

2) What kind of non-mouse cursor moves can you do with WWS?  I'm mostly
interested in a keyboard command to go the the beginning and end of a line.

3) Is the NEC 8023 printer supported?

Hope you can check these for me!

Thanks,
Bart

atwell@utah-cs

barkley@ncrcae.UUCP (Bill Barkley) (11/17/86)

In article <4020@utah-cs.UUCP> atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) writes:
>In article <8610271650.AA12027@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:
>>
>>     Several  of  us  at  work  (and  home)  have  changed  word
>>processors  recently  from "1st Word" to "Word  Writer  ST",  by
>>Timeworks.    It  may  be  short  of  the  next-generation  word
>>processors  that  we're  waiting for,  but here's  some  of  its
>>features: ...
>
>Thanks for the review of WORD WRITER ST.  I'm thinking of changing from
>1ST Word and have a couple of questions.

I recently purchased Word Writer ST and like it a lot.

>1) What kind of doc files does WWS generate?
You may have the best of both worlds - The genereated file is WP type file,
but you may choose to have the file processed to a disk file, paginated, etc,
that can then be sent out as a fixed document as a pure ascii file.

>2) What kind of non-mouse cursor moves can you do with WWS?  I'm mostly
>interested in a keyboard command to go the the beginning and end of a line.

It seems that all (or at least the most used) functions are selectable from:
mouse-drop-down menus, mouse-selectable soft-keys on the screen, or ALT-key
functions (shown on the screen in soft-key format).