[comp.sys.atari.st] MWC and RCS

ref0070@ritcv.UUCP (Bob Fortin) (11/10/86)

Has anyone used the RCS from compuserve with Mark Williams C?

If so, are there any problems?  Also, do you really need a hard disk to
use MWC, or can you fit enough on a ramdisk to make compilation reasonable?

Bob Fortin
{allegra seismo decvax}!rochester!ref0070

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (11/14/86)

In article <246@ritcv.UUCP> ref0070@ritcv.UUCP (Bob Fortin) writes:
>Has anyone used the RCS from compuserve with Mark Williams C?

	I had no problem using RCS with Mark Williams. The only thing that
i noticed was that is you are using RCSFIX.C (posted here) to compile
the objects with your program, you need to edit out the last line from
the .RSH (.C for older RCS) and .H files, that contain a CTRL-Z, which
Mark Williams does'nt like. I guess this CTRL-Z is an artifact of the
Msdos world that made it over with the port of RCS.

>If so, are there any problems?  Also, do you really need a hard disk to
>use MWC, or can you fit enough on a ramdisk to make compilation reasonable?

You can run MWC quite comfortably off of one Double sided floppy and
some Ram disk. The nice thing about the package is that the parts (like
the compiler linker etc) understand environment variables, so it is quite
flexible as far as configurations are concerned.

--
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) (11/17/86)

I have recently purchased Mark Williams C and use it with
a 512K RAM disk as follows: The directories \lib \include
and \tmp are placed on the RAM disk. \lib and \include take
about 410K leaving about 100K for your source and temporary
work files.  This has proven sufficient space so far, although
I may have to configure a larger RAM disk in the future. On
simple programs, compilations with this configuration took
approximately 1/3 rd the time of disk based compilations.

			Jonathan Nagy
			{ihnp4 | allegra | harvard}!homxc!jdn