[comp.sys.atari.st] Downloading problems & software request

grunau@husc2.UUCP (grunau) (11/21/86)

I just got my new 1040ST, and I was hoping to be able to get all the
software I have been saving off the net for the past few weeks onto it,
since so far I am basically rather short on software ...  Well, since the
only communications program I have is the vt52 emulator and something
called "shorterm" that came off one of the compute! diskettes, I do not
have any direct downloading capability.  So, since I am lucky enough to
have access to a PC which has a 3.5" drive attached to it (AND a modem,
AND a bernoulli box, and practically everything else anyone has ever wanted
attached to a computer), I figured I would just uudecode the files on
the system, and then download them via kermit (which I DO have, for MS-DOS
machines, but not for the ST).  This all worked perfectly well, it seemed,
and of course the 3.5" disks are perfectly readable by the ST, so that the
text files I downloaded have all come out perfect.  But none of the execut-
ables work!  All but one of them say "TOS error #35" and do nothing (they
don't even get so far as to be able to crash the system), and the remaining
one the RD547.PRG ramdisk program posted a little while back) says "there
is not enough memory in your system to run the application you have chosen"
(which seems rather unlikely considering the thing is smaller than almost
everything I have that DOES run).  In short, none of the things I Kermitted
down work.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Is there something I should be doing with
Kermit to handle binary files (since the text files are definitely coming
down perfectly)?  I am pretty sure the uudecoding is working, since if they
were really garbled, I would be surprised if they would go through uudecoe
at all (and besides, when I look at the produced binaries (on UNIX), I can
cl;clearly see string constants and so on.)

Also, while I am on the subject of requests, I would appreciate it if anybody
would send me (though of course I have currently no means to make use of
whatever anybody sends me, though hopefully that will be changing soon) a
copy of VIX, UNITERM, MicroEMACS, KERMIT, and any RAMdisk that happens to
be floating about ...

				Thanks,

							Justin Grunau

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (11/23/86)

In article <1038@husc2.UUCP> grunau@husc2.UUCP (justin grunau) writes:

>I just got my new 1040ST, and I was hoping to be able to get all the
>software I have been saving off the net for the past few weeks onto it,
>since so far I am basically rather short on software ...  Well, since the
>only communications program I have is the vt52 emulator and something
>called "shorterm" that came off one of the compute! diskettes, I do not
>have any direct downloading capability.

	Well, one way to get started is to by a low-dollar terminal program
that has x-modem capabilities and then download stuff of the Atari-BBS.
There's on called 'CHAT' by SST systems that goes for about $20 and works
fine for this purpose.  There's quite a bit of software on the BBS that
might be worth looking at.